Thought I'd describe my situation for the interest of anyone else
about to upgrade to the AMD 64-bit 3200+ CPU.

When you buy the CPU retail, it comes with its own heatsink and
fan, which AMD recommends for the CPU. When the CPU is cool, the
fan works fine. Trouble is, it is variable speed, and goes from
around 3000 rpm up to 6000 rpm. After you get above 5000 rmp, it
starts to get noisy, and causes nasty vibrations in the case.

Today, I'm going to try to buy the Thermaltake Silent Boost AMD K8
replacement heatsink and fan locally. From what I've read about
it, the noise should be reduced, if only because the fan runs at a
constant speed of just under 2500 rpm. At that speed, there would
be no problem with the original AMD fan.

I'm hoping installation will be as simple as it was with the AMD
original fan-heat sink. I'm hoping it comes with its own thermal
paste, since bloody Arctic Siver costs $20! That's half the price
of the new fan.

Just wanted to let others know that the stock heat sink and fan
supplied with the 64-bit 3200+ CPU from AMD can be very noisy.

> Today, I'm going to try to buy the Thermaltake Silent Boost AMD K8 replacement heatsink and fan locally. From what I've read about it, the noise should be reduced, if only because the fan runs at a constant speed of just under 2500 rpm. At that speed, there would be no problem with the original AMD fan.
>
> I'm hoping installation will be as simple as it was with the AMD original fan-heat sink. I'm hoping it comes with its own thermal paste, since bloody Arctic Siver costs $20! That's half the price of the new fan.
>
> Just wanted to let others know that the stock heat sink and fan supplied with the 64-bit 3200+ CPU from AMD can be very noisy.

To update my own post, I installed the Thermaltake Silent Boost
AMD K8, on my 64-bit Clawhammer 3200+ AMD CPU, and I'm only
middling happy with it.

The good news is that it does keep the fan speed down. The fan
speed never gets above around 2650 rmp. It eliminates the
vibration noise I was getting in the stock AMD heatsink and fan
above 5000 rpm. I can't say that it seems much quieter than the
AMD stock fan at that 2650 rpm, though.

The bad news is that it seems to be running a bit hot. At idle
(such as now, when I'm just surfing the Net) the temperature is 47
C, which is fine. Used to be around 39 C with the stock fan and
heatsink from AMD. However, when I tried playing a game (Undying,
as it happens) to stress the Thermaltake fan and heat sink, the
temperature went up above 60 C. I only played around twenty
minutes, so I'm not sure if I reached the maximum operating
temperature or not, but I'm going to try playing longer and see
what the temperature gets to.

I'm wondering if the thermal past included with the Thermaltake
fan was adequate. I may have to invest in some Arctic Silver and
re-seat the thing. It would be worth it if the temperature went
down five or ten degrees.

Noise in high end computers is a son of a bitch. I can't believe
the manufacturers don't deal with it better. I'm almost sorry I
didn't get a prebuilt "silent" system.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:24:35 GMT, Al Smith <invalid@address.com>
wrote:

>I'm wondering if the thermal past included with the Thermaltake
>fan was adequate. I may have to invest in some Arctic Silver and
>re-seat the thing. It would be worth it if the temperature went
>down five or ten degrees.

LOL. It's gotta be the shoes ;)

Don't waste your money on Arctic Silver, you should have bought
something like a thermalright heatsink which you can use your choice
of LARGE QUIET fans with. I think even Thermaltake has figured this
one out now and has a similar product.

>>I'm wondering if the thermal past included with the Thermaltake
>>>fan was adequate. I may have to invest in some Arctic Silver and
>>>re-seat the thing. It would be worth it if the temperature went
>>>down five or ten degrees.
>

> LOL. It's gotta be the shoes ;)
>
> Don't waste your money on Arctic Silver, you should have bought
> something like a thermalright heatsink which you can use your choice
> of LARGE QUIET fans with. I think even Thermaltake has figured this
> one out now and has a similar product.

LOL. I've been reading up on thermal paste. In one review, Arctic
Silver performed no better than regular zinc oxide (the white glop
that comes with the hardware). This guy got better performance out
of regular *toothpaste* (.47 for toothpaste, versus .50 for Arctic
Silver). Of course, you couldn't actually use toothpaste, but it
does say something about the claims for Arctic Silver.