  • Computers
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 5, 2005 6:25:02 PM

I have a simple two PC Home network. Both PCs run Windows XP Home.
The main PC is wired to a Linksys WRT54G Router and then to an Ntl Broadband
modem. This computer has a Canon S520 printer connected by USB.
The distant computer has a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter
From my distant computer I can:
access the Internet
see and access shared files
see the shared printer
do a nozzle check on the shared printer
see the two workgroup computers
It seems that all is well
BUT if I try to use the distantant computer to print from Word, Excel,
Explore, Wordpad, etc then I get an error message in each case.

I am using DHCP automatic configuration, wireless SSID broadcast is
disabled, Security is PSK/TCIP

I have tried all sorts of things (too numerous to list) including
downloading and installing the latest Canon s520 driver.

PLEASE can anyone help

P.S. I am a User with some (it is all relative I know) knowledge

More about : shared printer problem

July 6, 2005 12:29:44 AM

i imagine you have checked print permissions on the printer? A nozzle check
is not printing. and accessing files and seeing the printer are also not
printing permissions. Just a thought. The error message I am sure would help
the people here help you also.
Frank L

"PaulTomlinson" <PaulTomlinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple two PC Home network. Both PCs run Windows XP Home.
> The main PC is wired to a Linksys WRT54G Router and then to an Ntl
> Broadband
> modem. This computer has a Canon S520 printer connected by USB.
> The distant computer has a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter
> From my distant computer I can:
> access the Internet
> see and access shared files
> see the shared printer
> do a nozzle check on the shared printer
> see the two workgroup computers
> It seems that all is well
> BUT if I try to use the distantant computer to print from Word, Excel,
> Explore, Wordpad, etc then I get an error message in each case.
>
> I am using DHCP automatic configuration, wireless SSID broadcast is
> disabled, Security is PSK/TCIP
>
> I have tried all sorts of things (too numerous to list) including
> downloading and installing the latest Canon s520 driver.
>
> PLEASE can anyone help
>
> P.S. I am a User with some (it is all relative I know) knowledge
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:46:01 PM

Thank you for the reply Frank

I will try to post the error messages but cannot do so at the moment.

In the meantime I have a problem with checking the printer permissions.
Windows XP Home does not seem to give the security tag in Printer properties.
I think it is something to do with the fact it uses "Simple file sharing". I
am therefore unable to do anything about setting printer permissions until
someone enlightens me how to do it!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Paul Tomlinson

"Frank" wrote:

> i imagine you have checked print permissions on the printer? A nozzle check
> is not printing. and accessing files and seeing the printer are also not
> printing permissions. Just a thought. The error message I am sure would help
> the people here help you also.
> Frank L
>
> "PaulTomlinson" <PaulTomlinson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a simple two PC Home network. Both PCs run Windows XP Home.
> > The main PC is wired to a Linksys WRT54G Router and then to an Ntl
> > Broadband
> > modem. This computer has a Canon S520 printer connected by USB.
> > The distant computer has a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter
> > From my distant computer I can:
> > access the Internet
> > see and access shared files
> > see the shared printer
> > do a nozzle check on the shared printer
> > see the two workgroup computers
> > It seems that all is well
> > BUT if I try to use the distantant computer to print from Word, Excel,
> > Explore, Wordpad, etc then I get an error message in each case.
> >
> > I am using DHCP automatic configuration, wireless SSID broadcast is
> > disabled, Security is PSK/TCIP
> >
> > I have tried all sorts of things (too numerous to list) including
> > downloading and installing the latest Canon s520 driver.
> >
> > PLEASE can anyone help
> >
> > P.S. I am a User with some (it is all relative I know) knowledge

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:16:03 PM

These are the error messages I get:

Word – Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.
Try one of the following 1) Check the printer by printing a test page from
Windows 2) Make sure the printer is turned on and online 3) Reinstall the
printer driver

Excel – Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\Study\Canons520
on Ne02. There are several possible reasons 1) There might not be enough
memory available. Try closing files and programs you are not using 2) If you
use a network for printing there may be a problem with the network connection
or the printer driver 3) There may be loose cables or a bad connection
between your computer nad printer

Internet Explorer – An error has occurred on the script on this page Line
1774, Char 1, Error Unspecified, Code 0, URL
res//C\Windows\system32\shdocl.dll/preview.dlg

!