Motherboard selection help, please

Howdy:
In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
errrr, economic side! :) Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
marginal word processing.

ASRock K7S41GX ($42)

BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)

DFI AZ30-TL ($39)

MSI KM266 PRO ($41)

All prices per Newegg.

Thanks

--
The Seabat
4 answers Last reply

    seabat wrote:

    > Howdy:
    > In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
    > errrr, economic side! :) Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
    > to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
    > far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
    > marginal word processing.
    >
    > ASRock K7S41GX ($42)
    >
    > BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)
    >
    > DFI AZ30-TL ($39)
    >
    > MSI KM266 PRO ($41)
    >
    > All prices per Newegg.

    Read the reviews that are posted there for each one. That may help you
    to decide.

    "seabat" <seabat@boardermail.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy:
    > In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
    > errrr, economic side! :) Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
    > to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
    > far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
    > marginal word processing.
    >
    > ASRock K7S41GX ($42)
    >
    > BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)
    >
    > DFI AZ30-TL ($39)
    >
    > MSI KM266 PRO ($41)
    >

    > All prices per Newegg.
    >
    > Thanks

    The Asrock would be the best of that group. The following would be a MUCH
    better deal though, even though it costs more. -Dave

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&depa=0

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:19:16 -0500, seabat <seabat@boardermail.com>
    wrote:

    >Howdy:
    >In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
    >errrr, economic side! :) Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
    >to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
    >far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
    >marginal word processing.
    >
    >ASRock K7S41GX ($42)
    >
    >BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)
    >
    >DFI AZ30-TL ($39)
    >
    >MSI KM266 PRO ($41)
    >

    >All prices per Newegg.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >--
    >The Seabat

    You might consider this Asrock for $1 more it has 2 SATA RAID channels
    and 5 PCI sockets:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-157-032&depa=0

    This Asrock for $3 more has 4 DDR sockets instead of 3:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-157-033&depa=0

    Unless you need to keep to a small board with fewer PCI sockets, it
    would give more flexibility for expanding memory and adding newer
    technology hard drives.

    Got to agree with Al's post - the ASrock K7V88 is an excellent board for the
    money. I'm using one right now with an XP3200+ and 512 DDR400 memory. Always
    used Abit before but couldn't afford as higher spec this time so thought I'd
    try the ASrock.

    Of course, if it goes tit's up any time soon I may well change my opinion
    ;-)

    David

    "Al" <Al@nospam.net> wrote in message news:415f0c78.505226@news.mr.net...
    > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:19:16 -0500, seabat <seabat@boardermail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Howdy:
    >>In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
    >>errrr, economic side! :) Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
    >>to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
    >>far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
    >>marginal word processing.
    >>
    >>ASRock K7S41GX ($42)
    >>
    >>BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)
    >>
    >>DFI AZ30-TL ($39)
    >>
    >>MSI KM266 PRO ($41)
    >>

    >>All prices per Newegg.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>--
    >>The Seabat
    >
    > You might consider this Asrock for $1 more it has 2 SATA RAID channels
    > and 5 PCI sockets:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-157-032&depa=0
    >
    > This Asrock for $3 more has 4 DDR sockets instead of 3:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=13-157-033&depa=0
    >
    > Unless you need to keep to a small board with fewer PCI sockets, it
    > would give more flexibility for expanding memory and adding newer
    > technology hard drives.

    Got to agree with Al's post - the ASrock K7V88 is an excellent board for the
    money. I'm using one right now with an XP3200+ and 512 DDR400 memory. Always
    used Abit before but couldn't afford as higher spec this time so thought I'd
    try the ASrock.

    Of course, if it goes tit's up any time soon I may well change my opinion
    ;-)

    David

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems