Craig

I've put together a new computer and for some reason, no sound. I've
installed the drivers for the onboard audio, but nothing. The system
information shows it being there. I can open a media file, like a wav file,
and play it, but no sound.

Any ideas where to check.

jad

OB sound is recognized by the hardware wizard? its enabled? you have
not muted the master? you have the 'speaker' icon down by the clock?

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> OB sound is recognized by the hardware wizard? its enabled? you have
> not muted the master? you have the 'speaker' icon down by the clock?

Is the volume turned up? Are the speakers plugged into the left/right mains
jack? (as opposed to a headphone jack, a subwoofer jack, a surround
speakers jack, a microphone jack . . . ) -Dave

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:43:33 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote :

>I've put together a new computer and for some reason, no sound. I've
>installed the drivers for the onboard audio, but nothing. The system
>information shows it being there. I can open a media file, like a wav file,
>and play it, but no sound.
>
>Any ideas where to check.

Check that,"All" the on-board BIOS sound settings are correct.
You don't mention what O/S or what sound chip

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Craig

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> OB sound is recognized by the hardware wizard? its enabled? you have
> not muted the master? you have the 'speaker' icon down by the clock?

Yeah. It's there in the bios setup and the control panel system information.
The speaker icon is displayed. No muting of anything on the speaker volume
panel.

Craig

Craig

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > OB sound is recognized by the hardware wizard? its enabled? you have
> > not muted the master? you have the 'speaker' icon down by the clock?
> >

> Is the volume turned up? Are the speakers plugged into the left/right
mains
> jack? (as opposed to a headphone jack, a subwoofer jack, a surround
> speakers jack, a microphone jack . . . ) -Dave

Yes, I've turned the volume up on the speakers.

Craig

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:43:33 GMT There I was minding my own business
> Check that,"All" the on-board BIOS sound settings are correct.
> You don't mention what O/S or what sound chip

I'm running win98se. The sound chip is the c-media 9738 (?) or it's a sis
7012. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A PRO.

Craig wrote:

> "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:43:33 GMT There I was minding my own business
>>Check that,"All" the on-board BIOS sound settings are correct.
>>You don't mention what O/S or what sound chip
>>

> I'm running win98se. The sound chip is the c-media 9738 (?) or it's a sis
> 7012. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A PRO.

Ah HAH!. Information.

Audio on the K7S5A Pro is C-Media AC97.

The controller is SiS 7012. The CODEC is CMI9738

jad

you have digital only selected for the output?

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > OB sound is recognized by the hardware wizard? its enabled? you
have
> > not muted the master? you have the 'speaker' icon down by the
clock?

> Yeah. It's there in the bios setup and the control panel system
information.
> The speaker icon is displayed. No muting of anything on the speaker
volume
> panel.
>
> Craig

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:47:42 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote :

>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:43:33 GMT There I was minding my own business
>> Check that,"All" the on-board BIOS sound settings are correct.
>> You don't mention what O/S or what sound chip
>>
>I'm running win98se. The sound chip is the c-media 9738 (?) or it's a sis
>7012. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A PRO.

Post on this group,
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
There were two on board sound chips used so you have to get the
correct drivers however do yourself a favour and get a cheap £10 quid
PCI sound card as it will be better than any on board sound and a lot
let hassle.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Craig

Yeah that's what it is. So far ECS hasn't been able to help. Not quite sure
what to do. I was checking around in the win.ini file and the sounds
systemdefault is set to ",". Not sure if that's the problem.

Craig wrote:

> Yeah that's what it is. So far ECS hasn't been able to help. Not quite sure
> what to do. I was checking around in the win.ini file and the sounds
> systemdefault is set to ",". Not sure if that's the problem.

[Sounds]
SystemDefault=,

is not a problem. I don't know what the heck it means either but the exact
same thing is in one of my machines (not K7S5A) that's working perfectly fine.

Off hand I'd say you got the wrong driver but I can't give you the exact
'file name' because mine is a refurb and didn't come with the CD (for me to
look at). And since I'm running XP that's only one I downloaded.

The other thing I can pass on is don't use PCI slot 1, the one next to AGP.
It don't work worth spit.

Also, on-board devices are 'PCI cards', without the 'card', meaning they
'use' a PCI slot, like a card. If you have any PCI cards plugged then try
moving it to a different slot because if it's in the same slot the sound
chip is using then it could be interfering.

> you have digital only selected for the output?

I'm not sure what you mean?

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:47:42 GMT There I was minding my own business
> and then "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote :
>

> >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:43:33 GMT There I was minding my own business
> >> Check that,"All" the on-board BIOS sound settings are correct.
> >> You don't mention what O/S or what sound chip
> >>
> >I'm running win98se. The sound chip is the c-media 9738 (?) or it's a sis
> >7012. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A PRO.
> >

> Post on this group,
> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
> There were two on board sound chips used so you have to get the
> correct drivers however do yourself a favour and get a cheap £10 quid
> PCI sound card as it will be better than any on board sound and a lot
> let hassle.
> HTH :)

Not sure how much a "quid" is, but it's looking like that will be the way
I'm going. I'll be getting my new hard drive and os next month and see if
that does the trick. Otherwise I've been pricing sound cards. I'm leaning
towards a turtle beach card, but that could change.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:57:19 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote :

>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 00:47:42 GMT There I was minding my own business
>> and then "Craig" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote :
>>

>> >"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> >>
>> >I'm running win98se. The sound chip is the c-media 9738 (?) or it's a sis
>> >7012. The motherboard is an ECS K7S5A PRO.
>> >

>> Post on this group,
>> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
>> There were two on board sound chips used so you have to get the
>> correct drivers however do yourself a favour and get a cheap £10 quid
>> PCI sound card as it will be better than any on board sound and a lot
>> let hassle.
>> HTH :)
>>

>Not sure how much a "quid" is, but it's looking like that will be the way
>I'm going. I'll be getting my new hard drive and os next month and see if
>that does the trick. Otherwise I've been pricing sound cards. I'm leaning
>towards a turtle beach card, but that could change.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=64904&dict=CALD

HTH :)

--

Craig wrote:

> Yeah that's what it is. So far ECS hasn't been able to help. Not quite
sure
> what to do. I was checking around in the win.ini file and the sounds
> systemdefault is set to ",". Not sure if that's the problem.

[Sounds]
SystemDefault=,

is not a problem. I don't know what the heck it means either but the exact
same thing is in one of my machines (not K7S5A) that's working perfectly
fine.

Off hand I'd say you got the wrong driver but I can't give you the exact
'file name' because mine is a refurb and didn't come with the CD (for me to
look at). And since I'm running XP that's only one I downloaded.

The other thing I can pass on is don't use PCI slot 1, the one next to AGP.
It don't work worth spit.

Also, on-board devices are 'PCI cards', without the 'card', meaning they
'use' a PCI slot, like a card. If you have any PCI cards plugged then try
moving it to a different slot because if it's in the same slot the sound
chip is using then it could be interfering.

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Craig wrote:

I know about the pci1 slot. I found that somewhat disconcerting to say the
least. I hadn't thought about the other pci cards interfering with the on
board audio. I'll have to give that a try and see what happens.