OpenTTD discussion

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

I've just discovered this rather cool open source clone of TTD. Is
discussion about OpenTTD welcome in this newsgroup?

Thanks.

--
Tom Cumming

New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
14 answers Last reply
More about openttd discussion
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Tom Cumming" <me@privacy.net> schreef in bericht
    > I've just discovered this rather cool open source clone of TTD. Is
    > discussion about OpenTTD welcome in this newsgroup?

    IMHO, OpenTTD is just as related to TTD as TTDPatch and TTDAlter, only on a
    deeper level, because it's a complete game. And unlike Simutrans, it claims
    to be a clone.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Dijkstra" <usenet@bdijkstra.tmfweb.nl> schreef in bericht
    > "Tom Cumming" <me@privacy.net> schreef in bericht
    > > I've just discovered this rather cool open source clone of TTD. Is
    > > discussion about OpenTTD welcome in this newsgroup?
    >
    > IMHO, OpenTTD is just as related to TTD as TTDPatch and TTDAlter, only
    > on a deeper level, because it's a complete game. And unlike
    > Simutrans, it claims to be a clone.

    Conclusion: yes.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    In article <cf587f$dl9$1@joesbox.cjb.net>, me@privacy.net says...
    > I've just discovered this rather cool open source clone of TTD.
    > Is discussion about OpenTTD welcome in this newsgroup?

    How about posting a link for the rest of us?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 08/08/04 20:02, Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote:

    > Conclusion: yes.

    Cool. I have a feeling that tt-forums.net will probably have more
    people on it who use it, but I prefer proper NNTP to all this
    web-based stuff. ;)

    Here's the first question (well, 2 questions) to kick us off then:

    I'm running the latest version under Mandrake Linux 10. Graphics
    is a 32Mb Geforce2Go on a 1400x1050 laptop panel, using the latest
    NVidia linux drivers. When i start the game up, it appears in a
    window, and it will let me change the resolution to anything upto
    1280x1024, but if I try to go to the full 1400x1050 then it
    crashes. If I switch to full screen mode, then 1280x1024 is the
    highest resolution possible. Does anyone know how to fix this? (i
    know there is not a lot of difference between 1280x1024 and
    1400x1050 (and both are a vast improvement on TTD's 640x480!) but
    TFT screens always look better running at their "native" resolution.

    Secondly - the graphics are a little on the sluggish side when
    there are lots of vehicles on the screen at the same time. A bit
    like TTD used to be on my old 486/66, but this laptop's got a 1Ghz
    processor so it ought to be able to handle it. Is there any way I
    can improve the graphics performace a bit?

    Many thanks.

    --
    Tom Cumming

    New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 09/08/04 22:13, Ol' Duffer wrote:

    > How about posting a link for the rest of us?

    Good idea. The main homepage http://www.openttd.com/ is not
    working at the moment, but you can get hold of the game via the
    Sourceforge project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openttd .
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    > Good idea. The main homepage http://www.openttd.com/ is not
    > working at the moment, but you can get hold of the game via the
    > Sourceforge project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/openttd .

    There's also plenty of information and help at the OpenTTD section of
    www.tt-forums.net.

    --
    Owen Rudge
    http://www.owenrudge.net/

    MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
    ICQ: 125455765
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    > I'm running the latest version under Mandrake Linux 10. Graphics
    > is a 32Mb Geforce2Go on a 1400x1050 laptop panel, using the latest
    > NVidia linux drivers. When i start the game up, it appears in a
    > window, and it will let me change the resolution to anything upto
    > 1280x1024, but if I try to go to the full 1400x1050 then it
    > crashes. If I switch to full screen mode, then 1280x1024 is the
    > highest resolution possible. Does anyone know how to fix this? (i
    > know there is not a lot of difference between 1280x1024 and
    > 1400x1050 (and both are a vast improvement on TTD's 640x480!) but
    > TFT screens always look better running at their "native" resolution.

    OpenTTD uses SDL on Linux for its graphics, so you may want to ask around on
    the SDL site at www.libsdl.org. It could just be that your driver doesn't
    support it - can you get X into that resolution?

    > Secondly - the graphics are a little on the sluggish side when
    > there are lots of vehicles on the screen at the same time. A bit
    > like TTD used to be on my old 486/66, but this laptop's got a 1Ghz
    > processor so it ought to be able to handle it. Is there any way I
    > can improve the graphics performace a bit?

    Reducing the size of the window is really the best way at the moment. Maybe
    something will be done about this in the future.

    --
    Owen Rudge
    http://www.owenrudge.net/

    MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
    ICQ: 125455765
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 10/08/04 15:56, Owen Rudge wrote:

    > OpenTTD uses SDL on Linux for its graphics, so you may want to ask around on
    > the SDL site at www.libsdl.org. It could just be that your driver doesn't
    > support it - can you get X into that resolution?

    Yup, KDE is running at 1400x1050 straight off.

    > Reducing the size of the window is really the best way at the moment. Maybe
    > something will be done about this in the future.

    OK thanks.

    I might download the Windows version and see how performance
    compares - I'm a bit new to Linux to be honest..

    --
    Tom Cumming

    New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Tom Cumming" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I might download the Windows version and see how performance compares -
    > I'm a bit new to Linux to be honest..

    I've obviously been letting my anti-linux MSN based propaganda slip of late
    ;)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Hi Tom,
    In fact i play openttd for 3 month now.It apears Owen I'm with 0.3.3
    version build from sources, Redhat 9 (in fact it's not since i customized
    it a bit), kernel 2.6.7 witk ck patches. The computer is a ibm r40e
    laptop, with 2.4 celeron, ati igp340, the version of X is 4.3 tree,
    patched again.

    As for the first problem - screensize - I prefer to set it ro 800x600 (in
    fact it does not matter, then use the maximize button to maximize my
    windows - the button and message bar a convinietluy positioned at the
    center ot the top and bottom edge. I am not sure why it crashes for your
    resulution, but try this. I suspect it is an issue with the backing
    buffer allocated by the game fro prerendering the visual into sdl.

    The second problem - speed.
    In fact i have the reverseproblem. No matter what is my cpu speed (it can
    go down to 300mhz) the game runs fast. With ot witout vehicles on screen
    one game year is slightly more than 5 minutes. I usually play a little
    more than 11 years for an hour.

    Even with timidity to play the music there is no difference (timidity
    actually consumer less than 2% cpu time for software synthesiser - great)

    Some hours ago I subscribed to the developemnt list at sourceforge - it
    happens that Owen is the admin of that list.

    I am about to post there a bunch of suggestion of possible ways to enhance
    the gameplay ot openttd.

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:02:09 +0000, Tom Cumming wrote:

    > On 08/08/04 20:02, Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote:
    >
    >> Conclusion: yes.
    >
    > Cool. I have a feeling that tt-forums.net will probably have more
    > people on it who use it, but I prefer proper NNTP to all this
    > web-based stuff. ;)
    >
    > Here's the first question (well, 2 questions) to kick us off then:
    >
    > I'm running the latest version under Mandrake Linux 10. Graphics
    > is a 32Mb Geforce2Go on a 1400x1050 laptop panel, using the latest
    > NVidia linux drivers. When i start the game up, it appears in a
    > window, and it will let me change the resolution to anything upto
    > 1280x1024, but if I try to go to the full 1400x1050 then it
    > crashes. If I switch to full screen mode, then 1280x1024 is the
    > highest resolution possible. Does anyone know how to fix this? (i
    > know there is not a lot of difference between 1280x1024 and
    > 1400x1050 (and both are a vast improvement on TTD's 640x480!) but
    > TFT screens always look better running at their "native" resolution.
    >
    > Secondly - the graphics are a little on the sluggish side when
    > there are lots of vehicles on the screen at the same time. A bit
    > like TTD used to be on my old 486/66, but this laptop's got a 1Ghz
    > processor so it ought to be able to handle it. Is there any way I
    > can improve the graphics performace a bit?
    >
    > Many thanks.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    > In fact i have the reverseproblem. No matter what is my cpu speed (it can
    > go down to 300mhz) the game runs fast. With ot witout vehicles on screen
    > one game year is slightly more than 5 minutes. I usually play a little
    > more than 11 years for an hour.

    If you download the latest nightly build, from
    http://openttd.rulez.org/download/nightlybuilds/, the graphics speed should
    be a bit faster now - a patch was recently applied to help speed it up.

    > Some hours ago I subscribed to the developemnt list at sourceforge - it
    > happens that Owen is the admin of that list.

    Unfortunately the list isn't all that well-used. The forums and the IRC room
    (irc.freenode.net #openttd) are the best ways of contacting the developers.

    --
    Owen Rudge
    http://www.owenrudge.net/

    MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
    ICQ: 125455765
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Hi Owen
    I'm not telling it is slow - i'm tellig the oposite - it is quite
    fast, a low faster than the original. I don't have the time to spend
    all my money even with silly building. I've double checked, it's not
    in fast forward.
    I said 300mhz just to assues the rest that the speed should be enough
    to run the game fine.

    Then where should i post my suggestions about it?

    "Owen Rudge" <nntp@owenrudge.net> wrote in message news:<2oneuiFcj8iiU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > > In fact i have the reverseproblem. No matter what is my cpu speed (it can
    > > go down to 300mhz) the game runs fast. With ot witout vehicles on screen
    > > one game year is slightly more than 5 minutes. I usually play a little
    > > more than 11 years for an hour.
    >
    > If you download the latest nightly build, from
    > http://openttd.rulez.org/download/nightlybuilds/, the graphics speed should
    > be a bit faster now - a patch was recently applied to help speed it up.
    >
    > > Some hours ago I subscribed to the developemnt list at sourceforge - it
    > > happens that Owen is the admin of that list.
    >
    > Unfortunately the list isn't all that well-used. The forums and the IRC room
    > (irc.freenode.net #openttd) are the best ways of contacting the developers.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    > I'm not telling it is slow - i'm tellig the oposite - it is quite
    > fast, a low faster than the original. I don't have the time to spend
    > all my money even with silly building. I've double checked, it's not
    > in fast forward.

    Oh, OK - that's good news then!

    --
    Owen Rudge
    http://www.owenrudge.net/

    MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
    ICQ: 125455765
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Owen,

    That's not good news. Read the message!

    ~Ben>> I'm not telling it is slow - i'm tellig the oposite - it is quite
    >> fast, a low faster than the original. I don't have the time to spend
    >> all my money even with silly building. I've double checked, it's not
    >> in fast forward.
    >
    >Oh, OK - that's good news then!

    ~Ben

Open Source Newsgroup Games Video Games