XP wireless WEP transmitted in passphrase or Hex key

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 5, 2005 11:53:04 PM

Hi guys
I have a wireless toshiba projector. projector used by many notebook user
and 1 PC.
All need to use wireless to connect to the projector.
It seem that Linksys wireless utiliy used by PC will convert the WEP or
passphrase to Hex before transmiting to the projector.
For Notebook user which use XP own wireless utility or configuration will
transmit the passphrase and not Hex key.
any advice to overcome this?
Like enableing linksys utility to transmit in prassphrase?
As PC is only 1 , thus will affect less users.
July 6, 2005 9:59:46 AM

Hex key. It doesn't look like you have to use a passphrase in the Linksys,
but if you do, use one of the keys, unless the other device also has that
type of passphrase generator.

Clark

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys
> I have a wireless toshiba projector. projector used by many notebook user
> and 1 PC.
> All need to use wireless to connect to the projector.
> It seem that Linksys wireless utiliy used by PC will convert the WEP or
> passphrase to Hex before transmiting to the projector.
> For Notebook user which use XP own wireless utility or configuration will
> transmit the passphrase and not Hex key.
> any advice to overcome this?
> Like enableing linksys utility to transmit in prassphrase?
> As PC is only 1 , thus will affect less users.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 6, 2005 4:25:48 PM

You are using WEP to secure the connections correct?

The Linksys 'passphrase' utility may be the root cause of the confusion
here. The hexadecimal key that it generates is what you should use on all
your clients.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless