Task Manager is showing 2 CPUs - I have only 1 - normal??

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2004 8:12:19 PM

Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".

Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a mirror
image of each other.

Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

daisyanne
Current config:
P4 - 3.00 - 800 fsb with HT
Asus P4PS-e deluxe- Updated BIOS 1006
XFX GeForce 6800 128MB
1 gig DDR Geil ram PC3200 value dual channel
LiteOn SOHW-832s 8X DVD+/-RW
160 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda
Service Pack 2
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2004 8:12:20 PM

> Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
> noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
> Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".
>
> Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
> there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a
mirror
> image of each other.
>
> Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.

Nothing is wrong, hyperthreading has taken over :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2004 8:15:13 PM

phew! thanks.

daisy

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
>> Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
>> noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
>> Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".
>>
>> Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
>> there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a
> mirror
>> image of each other.
>>
>> Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.
>
> Nothing is wrong, hyperthreading has taken over :)

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2004 3:11:07 AM

Your Intel processor contains HyperThreading which allows it to work as two
virtual processors. Everything's OK.

--
DaveW

news:D De8d.157957$U04.80139@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...