Task Manager is showing 2 CPUs - I have only 1 - normal??

Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".

Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a mirror
image of each other.

Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

daisyanne
Current config:
P4 - 3.00 - 800 fsb with HT
Asus P4PS-e deluxe- Updated BIOS 1006
XFX GeForce 6800 128MB
1 gig DDR Geil ram PC3200 value dual channel
LiteOn SOHW-832s 8X DVD+/-RW
160 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda
Service Pack 2
3 answers Last reply
More about task manager showing cpus normal

    > Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
    > noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".
    >
    > Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
    > there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a
    mirror
    > image of each other.
    >
    > Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.

    Nothing is wrong, hyperthreading has taken over :)

    phew! thanks.

    daisy

    "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
    >> Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
    >> noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
    >> Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".
    >>
    >> Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
    >> there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a
    > mirror
    >> image of each other.
    >>
    >> Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.
    >
    > Nothing is wrong, hyperthreading has taken over :)

    Your Intel processor contains HyperThreading which allows it to work as two
    virtual processors. Everything's OK.

    --
    DaveW

    "Daisy" <dippydilly@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just built a new system with a P4 prescott 3.00 g(800FSB) with HT but
    > noticed that in dxdiag it says i have got 2 CPUs: - "Processor: Intel(R)
    > Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)".
    >
    > Also in the Task Manager under the PERFORMANCE page > CPU Usage History
    > there are 2 boxes instead of the usual 1. The graphs are virtually a
    > mirror image of each other.
    >
    > Is this normal with this CPU or has something gone wrong.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > daisyanne
    > Current config:
    > P4 - 3.00 - 800 fsb with HT
    > Asus P4PS-e deluxe- Updated BIOS 1006
    > XFX GeForce 6800 128MB
    > 1 gig DDR Geil ram PC3200 value dual channel
    > LiteOn SOHW-832s 8X DVD+/-RW
    > 160 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda
    > Service Pack 2

Homebuilt CPUs Task Manager Systems