SOYO MoBo SY-K7VME - don't show any video, can't install OS

I bought at Tigerdirect SOYO barebone system with mirco-ATX
motherboard SY-K7VME. This MoBo has build-in Video and some strange
AGP slot for video cards of 1.5V, which I don't have. I tried to
build a full system with it, added CPU (Duron 1G), memory (256K DDR
2700), hard drive, connected a display to the build-in video output
and turned on power. Nothing's on the screen. Tried to clear CMOS, as
recommended in troubleshooting section of the Motherboard Manual,
took out and reinserted the battery: nothing helps.
Does anybody knows what else can I do to have this built-in video to
transfer a signal to the display ?
4 answers Last reply
More about soyo mobo k7vme show video install

    "mika3873" <mikaplan@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I bought at Tigerdirect SOYO barebone system with mirco-ATX
    > motherboard SY-K7VME. This MoBo has build-in Video and some strange
    > AGP slot for video cards of 1.5V, which I don't have. I tried to
    > build a full system with it, added CPU (Duron 1G), memory (256K DDR
    > 2700), hard drive, connected a display to the build-in video output
    > and turned on power. Nothing's on the screen. Tried to clear CMOS, as
    > recommended in troubleshooting section of the Motherboard Manual,
    > took out and reinserted the battery: nothing helps.
    > Does anybody knows what else can I do to have this built-in video to
    > transfer a signal to the display ?

    Video (onboard or elsewhere) is initialized fairly late in a computer POST
    procedure. Is your computer doing ANYTHING when you turn it on? Fans spin?
    Mainboard beeps? LED lights? I suspect the lack of video to be a red
    herring here. I think there is something very basic that you might have
    overlooked. In particular, double-check ALL connections between (power
    supply and motherboard) and between (case and motherboard). If they all
    look good, disconnect everything and start over, using your mainboard manual
    to help you. One cable connected to one wrong pin, and nothing will work.
    It's quite possible that a cable came loose during shipping. -Dave

    Thanks, Dave. The PC is alive when I turn the power on: CPU fan is
    spinning, Hard Drive is turning, LEDs are blinking. Just nothing on a
    display.
    There is not much connectors to check - it's a micro-ATX motherboard,
    has a very few jumpers and connectors. However, there are 3 jumpers,
    which are not described in the motherboard's manual. I don't know
    what they are responsible for.

    > Thanks, Dave. The PC is alive when I turn the power on: CPU fan is
    > spinning, Hard Drive is turning, LEDs are blinking. Just nothing on a
    > display.
    > There is not much connectors to check - it's a micro-ATX motherboard,
    > has a very few jumpers and connectors. However, there are 3 jumpers,
    > which are not described in the motherboard's manual. I don't know
    > what they are responsible for.

    Reset your CMOS jumper JP5, and try all the various FSB jumper combinations.

    The FSB jumpers, JP3, are tricky on this board. See page 12 in the manual,
    or use a magnifying glass to read the silk-screening on the mobo.
    Short pins 1 & 2 for 100 Mhz < try this one
    Short pins 3 & 4 for 166 Mhz.
    All pins open = 133 Mhz

    Mobo also REQUIRES 4 pin 12V aux power connection from PSU at J3.

    Mine gave 12.5x multi with Duron at 12x when using onboard video (weird!).

    Running well with newer VIA chipset drivers, GF4Ti4200, Tbred B, cheapo 5.1
    sound card, & $10 rebate ram at 170 fsb. Could not get it to boot with
    200Mhz fsb.

    HTH.

    PS. Beware of SOYO and TIGER rebates (Very SLooooow!).

    "mika3873" <mikaplan@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Dave. The PC is alive when I turn the power on: CPU fan is
    > spinning, Hard Drive is turning, LEDs are blinking. Just nothing on a
    > display.
    > There is not much connectors to check - it's a micro-ATX motherboard,
    > has a very few jumpers and connectors. However, there are 3 jumpers,
    > which are not described in the motherboard's manual. I don't know
    > what they are responsible for.

    OK, I found a quick start guide. JP3 should be (connect pin 1 to pin 2) for
    100MHz FSB. Which leads me to wonder . . . will your RAM work at all if it
    is underclocked so far? You're going to be running 333 RAM at 200MHz. In
    theory, it should work OK, unless the mainboard doesn't recognize it at all.
    JP5 is clear CMOS. This should be set at (connect pin 1 to pin 2) normally.
    HOWEVER, it wouldn't be a bad idea to disconnect the power cord of this
    system (don't just turn it off) and then short JP5 pins 2 to 3 for about a
    minute or so to clear CMOS. If there are any other jumpers on this board, I
    couldn't find a reference for them. -Dave

    http://www.soyousa.com/dl/manuals/quick-sg/k7/qk7vme_v11.pdf

Homebuilt Soyo Video Build Systems