Dos or windows

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

I have my original TTDLX disc... old and battered and will probably run. How
can you tell if it is the dos or windows version of the game by looking at
the contents of the disc?

Any help gratefully received
CTM

---

CTM wrote on Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:56:53 +0000 (UTC):
> I have my original TTDLX disc... old and battered and will probably run. How
> can you tell if it is the dos or windows version of the game by looking at
> the contents of the disc?

If you have tycoon.exe or ttdx.exe, it's the DOS version. If you have
gamegfx.exe, it's the Windows version.

--
Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
---------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

> I have my original TTDLX disc... old and battered and will probably run.
How
> can you tell if it is the dos or windows version of the game by looking at
> the contents of the disc?

If you see the files SETUP.EXE, TTconfig.EXE or UniFISH.exe, it's the
Windows version. There may also be a DirectX folder on the CD. Otherwise,
it's the DOS version.

--
Owen Rudge
http://www.owenrudge.net/

MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
ICQ: 125455765

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

> If you have tycoon.exe or ttdx.exe, it's the DOS version. If you have
> gamegfx.exe, it's the Windows version.

On the CD though, you won't have GameGFX.exe, you'll have English.exe,
American.exe, Spanish.exe, French.exe and German.exe.

--

"Owen Rudge" <nntp@owenrudge.net> wrote in message
> > If you have tycoon.exe or ttdx.exe, it's the DOS version. If you have
> > gamegfx.exe, it's the Windows version.
>
> On the CD though, you won't have GameGFX.exe, you'll have English.exe,
> American.exe, Spanish.exe, French.exe and German.exe.
>
> --
> Owen Rudge
> http://www.owenrudge.net/
>
> MSN Messenger: owen@owenrudge.net
> ICQ: 125455765

Looked at my cd after your kind responses. It has mpscopy.exe and
install.exe in the root directory. In the English directory it has the same
two files. No other exe files at all.The only tycoon file is tycoon.ovl

So its the dos version then?

---

On 09/08/04 23:19, CTM wrote:

> Looked at my cd after your kind responses. It has mpscopy.exe and
> install.exe in the root directory. In the English directory it has the same
> two files. No other exe files at all.The only tycoon file is tycoon.ovl
>
> So its the dos version then?

Yup that's the DOS version.
It will still work in Windows 95/98/ME, but if you want to use it
under Windows XP then you will need the Windows version.

--
Tom Cumming

New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

Yup that's the DOS version.
> It will still work in Windows 95/98/ME, but if you want to use it
> under Windows XP then you will need the Windows version.

I have Win Me. I tried to install it again and it does not work from this
disc. At one point, I get a enlarged version of the dos screen and then my
system jams. I gave up in the end.

However, I have got a windows version of the game up using a win download
and the ttpatch and am having fun. My only problem is that I have to change
my screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 to get a comfortable viewing
screen. It is still not perfect as I cant maximise the screen to fill the
monitor screen if that makes sense. And if it does, is this a common
problem?

The reason that I asked my initial question was that I am interested in the
OpenTTD game and it needs the windows disc. Alas, thanks to you people I
have been told that I don't have it.

I think that its ebay time!!!!

CTM

---

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

> However, I have got a windows version of the game up using a win download
> and the ttpatch and am having fun. My only problem is that I have to
change
> my screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 to get a comfortable viewing
> screen. It is still not perfect as I cant maximise the screen to fill the
> monitor screen if that makes sense. And if it does, is this a common
> problem?

If you press ALT and ENTER, the game will switch to full-screen.

--

On 10/08/04 10:03, CTM wrote:

> I have Win Me. I tried to install it again and it does not work from this
> disc. At one point, I get a enlarged version of the dos screen and then my
> system jams. I gave up in the end.

WinME should run either.

> However, I have got a windows version of the game up using a win download
> and the ttpatch and am having fun. My only problem is that I have to change
> my screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 to get a comfortable viewing
> screen. It is still not perfect as I cant maximise the screen to fill the
> monitor screen if that makes sense. And if it does, is this a common
> problem?

If you are running the Windows version (as I think you are
implying) then you need to run the "TTConfig" program. Somewhere
in there you can configure it to either run in-a-window or full
screen. If you set it to full screen you will get it at 640x480
full screen this is usually the best you will get.

When it is in-a-window you unfortunately cannot maximise it as the
graphics are fixed at 640x480. Some versions of the patch have an
option to change the in-a-window resolution, but it does it by
streching it, so it does not really look all that good.

> The reason that I asked my initial question was that I am interested in the
> OpenTTD game and it needs the windows disc. Alas, thanks to you people I
> have been told that I don't have it.

If you've got the Windows version running then you should be ok,
as the files on the CD will probably be in your install folder as
well.

--

Owen Rudge wrote on Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:53:17 +0100:
> > However, I have got a windows version of the game up using a win download
> > and the ttpatch and am having fun. My only problem is that I have to
> change
> > my screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 to get a comfortable viewing
> > screen. It is still not perfect as I cant maximise the screen to fill the
> > monitor screen if that makes sense. And if it does, is this a common
> > problem?
>
> If you press ALT and ENTER, the game will switch to full-screen.

That doesn't work in the Windows version, only the DOS version.

--
Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
---------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
Walk with a light step. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

> > I have Win Me. I tried to install it again and it does not work from
this
> > disc. At one point, I get a enlarged version of the dos screen and then
my
> > system jams. I gave up in the end.
>
> WinME should run either.

It runs the downloaded windows version through the TTpatch but not the Dos
version does not even load from my disc.... not sure why ....

> > However, I have got a windows version of the game up using a win
download
> > and the ttpatch and am having fun. My only problem is that I have to
change
> > my screen resolution from 1024X768 to 800X600 to get a comfortable
viewing
> > screen. It is still not perfect as I cant maximise the screen to fill
the
> > monitor screen if that makes sense. And if it does, is this a common
> > problem?
>
> If you are running the Windows version (as I think you are
> implying) then you need to run the "TTConfig" program. Somewhere
> in there you can configure it to either run in-a-window or full
> screen. If you set it to full screen you will get it at 640x480
> full screen this is usually the best you will get.

My 'normal' screen size is 1024X768 on a 17" monitor. I have tried using the
TTCConfig file, setting it to full screen and the game pointer but the
screen and the PC crashed on me. Again I am not sure why but it seems to be
my graphics card or the way that windows has been set up on this machine.
What you say about the resolution makes sense if I am trying to get the game
to run in 1024X768 mode and the maximum and best size is 640x480. Somehow I
get it to run at 800X600!!! Funnily enough, if I set my screen size to
640x480 and then run the game it also crashes.

> When it is in-a-window you unfortunately cannot maximise it as the
> graphics are fixed at 640x480. Some versions of the patch have an
> option to change the in-a-window resolution, but it does it by
> streching it, so it does not really look all that good.
>
> > The reason that I asked my initial question was that I am interested in
the
> > OpenTTD game and it needs the windows disc. Alas, thanks to you people I
> > have been told that I don't have it.
>
> If you've got the Windows version running then you should be ok,
> as the files on the CD will probably be in your install folder as
> well.

I guess that you are probably correct here. i think that I will try to
download the OpenTTD version and when it asks for the files that it needs i
shall point it to the windows version on my HDD. I guess its a hit opr miss
affair until I can get it to work. Thanks for your help anyway!

CTM

---

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

> That doesn't work in the Windows version, only the DOS version.

I thought CTM was talking about OpenTTD, but now I see that they were
actually talking about TTD.

--

On 11/08/04 00:24, CTM wrote:

> My 'normal' screen size is 1024X768 on a 17" monitor. I have tried using the
> TTCConfig file, setting it to full screen and the game pointer but the
> screen and the PC crashed on me.

That is strange. Maybe your video card is incompatible for some
reason.

> Again I am not sure why but it seems to be
> my graphics card or the way that windows has been set up on this machine.
> What you say about the resolution makes sense if I am trying to get the game
> to run in 1024X768 mode and the maximum and best size is 640x480.

640x480 is the *only* resolution that TTD can run in. Remember
this game came out in the mid-1990s, when 640x480 was about all
that most monitors could handle! The only thing you can change is
whether it runs in full screen, or whether it runs in a window.

However, OpenTTD is different. You *can* run open TTD in various
different resolutions.

--

Tom Cumming wrote:

> On 11/08/04 00:24, CTM wrote:
>
>> My 'normal' screen size is 1024X768 on a 17" monitor. I have tried using
>> the TTCConfig file, setting it to full screen and the game pointer but
>> the screen and the PC crashed on me.
>
> That is strange. Maybe your video card is incompatible for some
> reason.

That looks like it, yes.

>> Again I am not sure why but it seems to be
>> my graphics card or the way that windows has been set up on this machine.
>> What you say about the resolution makes sense if I am trying to get the
>> game to run in 1024X768 mode and the maximum and best size is 640x480.
>
> 640x480 is the *only* resolution that TTD can run in. Remember
> this game came out in the mid-1990s, when 640x480 was about all
> that most monitors could handle! The only thing you can change is
> whether it runs in full screen, or whether it runs in a window.

Well with TTDPatch you can also "stretch" the Windows size if you like, but
that does slow down the graphics and doesn't actually change the
resolution, it only doubles some pixels. If you want to try that, look
into the "stretchwindow" option.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

<snipped>
> I thought CTM was talking about OpenTTD, but now I see that they were
> actually talking about TTD.

Apologies for the confusion. The reason for my initial question was to find
out what version of the game I had on my CD. I had downloaded a windows
version and the ttpatch and after some fiddling got the game to work in
WinMe. It runs fine even if the screen is small on my monitor and I cant get
it to fill my screen

Then someone posted a message about OpenTTD which seems to 'modernise' the
game with more options and allow it to be run on WinMe. I am following the
progress of this and will probably download and play it.

Thanks all for your help anyway....

CTM

---

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

.... and I forgot to say that you need the windows version for OpenTTD....

CTM

---

On 11/08/04 19:22, Josef Drexler wrote:

> Well with TTDPatch you can also "stretch" the Windows size if you like, but
> that does slow down the graphics and doesn't actually change the
> resolution, it only doubles some pixels. If you want to try that, look
> into the "stretchwindow" option.

Yes - I did not mention that because, as you say in the
instructions, it does not look very nice unless you stretch it by
a "nice" ratio. Since the OP's normal screen resolution is
1024x768, I'm guessing it probably would not look very nice like that.