Power Supply Failure symptoms?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.

A system crash while running one specific program is an indication of memory
needed by the OS being usurped or stolen by that program, not a faulty power
supply in most cases. It could also be caused by not having enough RAM to
run the program as well. .

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Michael" <meleeman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
> computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
> a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.

Michael:

> I was wondering what would make my
> computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004?

Does it happen with all 3D games, or just UT2k4?

Does it restart when running Prime95 in torture mode?
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
--
Mac Cool

"Michael" <meleeman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 350W power supply and I was wondering what would make my
> computer Restart when I tried to play a game like Unreal 2004? I have
> a Geforce FX 5200 128MB graphics card in case anyone wants to know.

It could be many things. Power supply is on the list. First try
reinstalling DirectX driver and video card drivers. It could very well be a
bad video driver. It could also be a bad video card or a bad motherboard,
or even a loose video card. If you have another video card to test with,
that could eliminate a couple of possibilities. -Dave

If this is an NT based OS, then list of reasons for a
restart become significantly shorter. However that list
includes power supply, video card, sound card, software
drivers for those hardware peripherals, and RAM. Power supply
as reasons for restart is easily eliminated by testing with a
3.5 digit multimeter. Furthermore, the multimeter can be used
to calibrate an on-board voltage monitor.

What does the event (system) log report? If the computer
comes from a responsible manufacturer, then download and
execute those comprehensive diagnostics. Make those
diagnostics effective by learning from an adjacent thread
entitled "Burn-in? What's it all about anyway?"