what is a CNR port?

Was looking at a mobo with this spec listed:
Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR

What is a CNR port? TIA

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:36:19 -0400, "David Besack"
<daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:

>Was looking at a mobo with this spec listed:
>Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR
>
>What is a CNR port? TIA

It's a slot that was meant to house a hosted modem/lan card/broadband
modem. It never really caught on, so it's kind of useless, but you
still see them on new motherboards from time to time. In theory, it
was supposed to free up teh PCI bus, but in practice it made very
little difference. Anyways, the slot is practically useless, you can
safely pretend it doesn't exist.

MCheu

MCheu wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:36:19 -0400, "David Besack"
> <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:
>

>>Was looking at a mobo with this spec listed:
>>Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR
>>
>>What is a CNR port? TIA
>>

> It's a slot that was meant to house a hosted modem/lan card/broadband
> modem. It never really caught on, so it's kind of useless, but you
> still see them on new motherboards from time to time. In theory, it
> was supposed to free up teh PCI bus,

The reason it's a 'special' slot is because it uses the onboard audio/DSP
and there's no access to those signals on the PCI bus.

> but in practice it made very
> little difference. Anyways, the slot is practically useless, you can
> safely pretend it doesn't exist.
>
> MCheu

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

It stands for "Communications Network Riser".

I have yet to find any card that will actually fit it. Seems like another
brilliant idea from the Wintel Monopoly Ivory Tower of Power telling us mere
mortals what we should have in our computers.

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
> Was looking at a mobo with this spec listed:
> Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR
>
> What is a CNR port? TIA

TRENDING THREADS