External USB2/1394 slim DVD/CD Writers?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Any recommendations?

Ideally powered through the USB or Firewire, and DVD-R & DVD+R compatible
(plus of course CDRW). Also USB1 would be good.

Must be pretty small.

Thanks,

Fred.

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Fred Finisterre <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>Any recommendations?

>Ideally powered through the USB or Firewire, and DVD-R & DVD+R compatible
>(plus of course CDRW). Also USB1 would be good.

I think USB power is limited to .5A 5V DC (2.5W) you better look real good to
find a DVD/CD writer with that power consumption.
It's meant to drive a few chips no more.

Apart from that you can most likely use an ordinary usb/fw external box and
mount a standard drive in it. At least that works ok on unix.
A neat feat would be to buy an cardbus s-ata card and use an s-ata -> ata/ide
adapter..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ideally powered through the USB or Firewire, and DVD-R & DVD+R compatible
>(plus of course CDRW). Also USB1 would be good.

>Must be pretty small.

I use a portable Freecom Traveller II+ DVDRW with my laptop. It's
USB2 (USB1 compatible) and also comes with a PC Card for use with
laptops which lack any/sufficient USB ports.

I think it can be powered via the USB port but also has an internal
re-chargeable battery, which recharged when the drive is plugged into
the mains.