Soft off doesn't work on Windows 98 SE.

I built up a system consisting of an Asrock mother board which,
unexpectedly, shuts down Windows 98 safely when I push the power button on
the front. I knew this worked with XP, but was pleasantly surprised when it
worked with 98 also, without Sandisk having to run. It doesn't work on my
old motherboard, which is a FIC Pa2013. If I try it, it runs Scandisk, as
expected. So, what is special about the motherboard?
2 answers Last reply
More about soft doesn work windows

    In article <ck4l0r$j14$2@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, fellow says...
    > I built up a system consisting of an Asrock mother board which,
    > unexpectedly, shuts down Windows 98 safely when I push the power button on
    > the front. I knew this worked with XP, but was pleasantly surprised when it
    > worked with 98 also, without Sandisk having to run. It doesn't work on my
    > old motherboard, which is a FIC Pa2013. If I try it, it runs Scandisk, as
    > expected. So, what is special about the motherboard?

    ACPI.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    fellow wrote:

    > I built up a system consisting of an Asrock mother board which,
    > unexpectedly, shuts down Windows 98 safely when I push the power button on
    > the front. I knew this worked with XP, but was pleasantly surprised when it
    > worked with 98 also,

    Win98 supports both ACPI and APM and either will provide 'software turn off'.

    > without Sandisk having to run.

    Scandisk shouldn't run, regardless, unless you do an improper shutdown or
    the hard drive is failing.

    > It doesn't work on my
    > old motherboard, which is a FIC Pa2013.

    Then you have something configured wrong because that's an ATX board and
    supports APM.

    > If I try it, it runs Scandisk, as
    > expected.

    It should never be 'expected' that scandisk runs after a proper shutdown.

    > So, what is special about the motherboard?

    ACPI is what's 'different' in the motherboard, although there might be a
    BIOS update for the FIC that adds ACPI (I didn't look).

Homebuilt Windows 98 Motherboards Systems