NNTP Server?

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

Hi,

I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

~Ben

Where will Micro$oft try to drag you today?
8 answers Last reply
More about nntp server
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Yo

    "Benji147461027" wrote >
    > I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate:
    it
    > looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no
    anti-crud
    > filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes.
    One
    > problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what
    this is
    > or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

    You're going thru NTHell (NTL) aren't you?

    Try:

    news.virgin.net
    news.ntlworld.com

    No log-on, default settings etc. Both one in the same I think (ie. point to
    same new servers) tho virgin.net may for some unknown reason respond/work
    more often. If they don't work then you may need AOL's specific news addy
    if they route you thru whatever way you connect with them. Dunno nowt else
    bout AOL tho, soz.

    HTH

    Fling
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Benji147461027" <benji147461027@aol.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally
    > inadequate: it looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a
    > whale, and has no anti-crud filters at all. So I've decided to use
    > Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One problem: I need to know the
    > NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is or will someone
    > give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

    You can mail Josef for an account on joesbox.cjb.net, which carries 4 local
    groups and 4 alt.games.* groups, including this one.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Op Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:37:38 GMT schreef Flingel Bunt:

    > Yo
    >
    > "Benji147461027" wrote >
    >> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate:
    > it
    >> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no
    > anti-crud
    >> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes.
    > One
    >> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what
    > this is
    >> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.
    >
    > You're going thru NTHell (NTL) aren't you?
    >
    > Try:
    >
    > news.virgin.net
    > news.ntlworld.com
    >
    > No log-on, default settings etc.

    Both flatly refuse any access.
    --
    Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
    jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

    New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
    Dachshunds are really small crocodiles with fur.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 23/08/04 17:54, Benji147461027 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
    > looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
    > filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
    > problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
    > or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

    Lol!!
    According to <http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm>, AOL do not actually
    run an NNTP server. Not that this surprises me much, since they do
    not use standard POP3 email servers either. Shows how much notice
    they took of that customer comments card I sent to them after
    completing a free trial in about 1996!

    I would suggest you go to http://news.individual.net/ - they offer
    a free Usenet server, but you have to register a username and
    password with them first, which takes a couple of days (its done
    by a human, not automated.) They've always been very reliable for
    me, and they filter out most spam messages.

    I would also strongly suggest you do not post under your main
    email address - open a Yahoo account or something, or use
    me@privacy.net (see <http://privacy.net/email/>.) Otherwise you
    *will* get vast amounts of spam. Do not make up an email address
    (if you use news.individual.net) - it is against their terms and
    conditions.

    --
    Tom Cumming

    New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Yo

    "Afoklala" <nospam@spam.no> wrote in message
    > Op Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:37:38 GMT schreef Flingel Bunt:
    > > news.virgin.net
    > > news.ntlworld.com
    > >
    > > No log-on, default settings etc.
    >
    > Both flatly refuse any access.

    They will do unless NTL is your ISP or go through an ISP using NTL's 'lines'
    (possibly).

    Google groups work from anywhere tho ...

    http://groups.google.com

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc

    HTH
    All the best

    Fling
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Op Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:06:14 GMT schreef Tom Cumming:

    > On 23/08/04 17:54, Benji147461027 wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
    >> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
    >> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
    >> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
    >> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.
    >
    > Lol!!
    > According to <http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm>, AOL do not actually
    > run an NNTP server. Not that this surprises me much, since they do
    > not use standard POP3 email servers either. Shows how much notice
    > they took of that customer comments card I sent to them after
    > completing a free trial in about 1996!
    >
    > I would suggest you go to http://news.individual.net/ - they offer
    > a free Usenet server, but you have to register a username and
    > password with them first, which takes a couple of days (its done
    > by a human, not automated.) They've always been very reliable for
    > me, and they filter out most spam messages.

    Other free servers that carry this group, and require no login at all, are
    news.ncnu.edu.tw
    and
    dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu
    --
    Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
    jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

    New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
    Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/>. Thanks.
    CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Washington D.C (Y/n)?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Actually I'm not using NTL, cable isn't available in vast wodges of the UK.
    We're only just getting proper DSL!!
    ~Ben

    Where will Micro$oft try to drag you today?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Yo

    "Benji147461027" <benji147461027@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Actually I'm not using NTL, cable isn't available in vast wodges of the
    > UK.
    > We're only just getting proper DSL!!

    :-(

    I did a Google search for AOL nntp details and got this...

    03. Ques: I want to use X newsreader software.
    Can I? How do I? Why can't I?

    [Editor's Note: Both of these answers are true.
    Be sure to read them BOTH.]

    The short answer is that no, you cannot use third party software
    to read and post to news groups through AOL's news group servers.
    There are several reasons for this, the two most important being
    that AOL's servers are security fire walled to prevent abuse by
    posters from outside of AOL, and secondly, AOL uses a non
    NNTP-compliant distributed news system. The up side of this is a
    great news feed, the down side is you have to use one of AOL's
    proprietary news readers. The two most commonly desired features
    of third party news readers, BTW, are automatic attribution and
    quoting. These features *are* available in the off-line news
    reader.

    Looks like you'll have to use another news provider (nntp source) if you
    don't want to use AOL software. I'm on NTL and am not familiar with any
    others so I can't help you there, soz.

    Some of the other posts in this thread have suggestions you might try.

    Good luck!

    All the best

    Fling

AOL Servers Video Games