  • Servers
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2004 8:54:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

Hi,

I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

~Ben

Where will Micro$oft try to drag you today?

More about : nntp server

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:37:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

Yo

"Benji147461027" wrote >
> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate:
it
> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no
anti-crud
> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes.
One
> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what
this is
> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

You're going thru NTHell (NTL) aren't you?

Try:

news.virgin.net
news.ntlworld.com

No log-on, default settings etc. Both one in the same I think (ie. point to
same new servers) tho virgin.net may for some unknown reason respond/work
more often. If they don't work then you may need AOL's specific news addy
if they route you thru whatever way you connect with them. Dunno nowt else
bout AOL tho, soz.

HTH

Fling
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:51:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

"Benji147461027" <benji147461027@aol.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally
> inadequate: it looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a
> whale, and has no anti-crud filters at all. So I've decided to use
> Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One problem: I need to know the
> NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is or will someone
> give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

You can mail Josef for an account on joesbox.cjb.net, which carries 4 local
groups and 4 alt.games.* groups, including this one.
August 27, 2004 1:20:23 PM

Op Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:37:38 GMT schreef Flingel Bunt:

> Yo
>
> "Benji147461027" wrote >
>> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate:
> it
>> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no
> anti-crud
>> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes.
> One
>> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what
> this is
>> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.
>
> You're going thru NTHell (NTL) aren't you?
>
> Try:
>
> news.virgin.net
> news.ntlworld.com
>
> No log-on, default settings etc.

Both flatly refuse any access.
--
Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/&gt;. Thanks.
Dachshunds are really small crocodiles with fur.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:06:14 PM

On 23/08/04 17:54, Benji147461027 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.

Lol!!
According to <http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm&gt;, AOL do not actually
run an NNTP server. Not that this surprises me much, since they do
not use standard POP3 email servers either. Shows how much notice
they took of that customer comments card I sent to them after
completing a free trial in about 1996!

I would suggest you go to http://news.individual.net/ - they offer
a free Usenet server, but you have to register a username and
password with them first, which takes a couple of days (its done
by a human, not automated.) They've always been very reliable for
me, and they filter out most spam messages.

I would also strongly suggest you do not post under your main
email address - open a Yahoo account or something, or use
me@privacy.net (see <http://privacy.net/email/&gt;.) Otherwise you
*will* get vast amounts of spam. Do not make up an email address
(if you use news.individual.net) - it is against their terms and
conditions.

--
Tom Cumming

New to this newsgroup? Please have a read of the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) list at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/&gt;. Thanks.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:11:53 PM

"Afoklala" <nospam@spam.no> wrote in message
> Op Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:37:38 GMT schreef Flingel Bunt:
> > news.virgin.net
> > news.ntlworld.com
> >
> > No log-on, default settings etc.
>
> Both flatly refuse any access.

They will do unless NTL is your ISP or go through an ISP using NTL's 'lines'
(possibly).

Google groups work from anywhere tho ...

http://groups.google.com

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&grou...

HTH
All the best

Fling
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:38:54 PM

Op Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:06:14 GMT schreef Tom Cumming:

> On 23/08/04 17:54, Benji147461027 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using AOL's built-in Usenet reader, which is monumentally inadequate: it
>> looks like a pile of pig excrement, handles like a whale, and has no anti-crud
>> filters at all. So I've decided to use Thunderbird for my usenet purposes. One
>> problem: I need to know the NNTP server for AOL. Does anyone know what this is
>> or will someone give me the address for Wanadoo or something? Thanks.
>
> Lol!!
> According to <http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm&gt;, AOL do not actually
> run an NNTP server. Not that this surprises me much, since they do
> not use standard POP3 email servers either. Shows how much notice
> they took of that customer comments card I sent to them after
> completing a free trial in about 1996!
>
> I would suggest you go to http://news.individual.net/ - they offer
> a free Usenet server, but you have to register a username and
> password with them first, which takes a couple of days (its done
> by a human, not automated.) They've always been very reliable for
> me, and they filter out most spam messages.

Other free servers that carry this group, and require no login at all, are
news.ncnu.edu.tw
and
dp-news.maxwell.syr.edu
--
Jan Willem from Odijk, Netherlands
jw dot van dot dormolen at hccnet dot nl

New to this newsgroup? Please read the Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) at <http://www.tt-forums.net/faq/&gt;. Thanks.
CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Washington D.C (Y/n)?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:09:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

Actually I'm not using NTL, cable isn't available in vast wodges of the UK.
We're only just getting proper DSL!!
~Ben

Where will Micro$oft try to drag you today?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:49:13 PM

"Benji147461027" <benji147461027@aol.com> wrote in message
> Actually I'm not using NTL, cable isn't available in vast wodges of the
> UK.
> We're only just getting proper DSL!!

:-(

I did a Google search for AOL nntp details and got this...

03. Ques: I want to use X newsreader software.
Can I? How do I? Why can't I?

[Editor's Note: Both of these answers are true.
Be sure to read them BOTH.]

The short answer is that no, you cannot use third party software
to read and post to news groups through AOL's news group servers.
There are several reasons for this, the two most important being
that AOL's servers are security fire walled to prevent abuse by
posters from outside of AOL, and secondly, AOL uses a non
NNTP-compliant distributed news system. The up side of this is a
great news feed, the down side is you have to use one of AOL's
proprietary news readers. The two most commonly desired features
of third party news readers, BTW, are automatic attribution and
quoting. These features *are* available in the off-line news
reader.

Looks like you'll have to use another news provider (nntp source) if you
don't want to use AOL software. I'm on NTL and am not familiar with any
others so I can't help you there, soz.

Some of the other posts in this thread have suggestions you might try.

Good luck!

All the best

Fling
!