How to clear the PIE index.dat files on iPaq

August 15, 2004 2:33:40 PM

Hi,

A little while ago, I posted a question about clearing the index.dat files
from the Windows\Profiles\Guest\history, cookies and Temporary Internet
Files folders on my iPaq 2210. These files record your browsing no matter
how many times you clear the history/cookies/files from the PIE options
menu. The files also continue to increase in size in line with your
browsing. The replies I got back didn't really tell me how to totally clear
the files for good (i.e. removing all traces of past browsing). As the files
are in use by PIE as soon as you power up, you can't just delete the files
either. Anyway, I decided to re-visit this issue and I think I have come up
with an easy way to get around it. Try this: -

Download and install a registry editor (I use PHM Registry Editor). Drill
down to the following key: -

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Here you will find three seperate entries for Cache (Temp Internet Files),
Cookies and History. Simply change the locations for the three entries to
something else (personally I just remove one letter from the 'guest' folder
and change it to 'gust'). Quit out of the reg editor and carry out a soft
reset (button on the back). When the iPaq reboots you will find that a new
folder has been created (i.e. gust) containing Temp, History and Cookies
folders. You should now be able to go to the original folder (Guest) and
delete all temp files and index.dat files without any problem. When done
simply revert your settings back in the registry, soft reset again and carry
on. Your browsing past has been scruubed clean and you might even free up a
little but of valuable RAM.

Hope this makes sense - I thought it might be good info for those wanting a
bit more privacy than PIE offers.

Cheers,

Glenn

---
August 15, 2004 2:55:47 PM

I've often wondered the same thing. Recently, I've come across 2 utilities
that will @ least significantly decreased the size of this file to 16K.
DinarSoft's MemMaid will do this, as well as SKTools. I've yet to
completely empty the contents of this file, as it is a system file.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14288

You can install a trial version of both, so have at it! Hope this helps