computer doesn't start properly

i just bought myself a Radeon 9700 pro 128mb for my other computer in
my house and swapped it with the existing card (5600XT 256mb)and now
for some reason it wont load passed the verifiying dmi pool data bit.
The computer Runs with 2 40Gb maxtor diamond plus 8 Raided
harddrives. I can boot off the XP Pro CD and reinstall XP but it
seems to have made no difference to the startup of windows ( goes to
verifiying..etc.. and then goes black and turns off after a couple of
seconds ).
I needed the data off the drive so I removed them and set them up on
my computer (order 2814136) and it worked ok for a while, but then I
turned it on once and it wouldn't load past the first screen that
displays memory,processor ide's etc, it just freezes there. I can't
even get into the bios because of this.
What is wrong with either my computers?

It may sound strange, but I have had this exact same error and it turned out
to be a conflict with my floppy drive. I disconnect the drive and it would
boot fine, reconnect and it would stop at "verifying DMI pool". I installed
as new floppy and it worked fine.

"amberzonia" <amberzonia@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>i just bought myself a Radeon 9700 pro 128mb for my other computer in
> my house and swapped it with the existing card (5600XT 256mb)and now
> for some reason it wont load passed the verifiying dmi pool data bit.
> The computer Runs with 2 40Gb maxtor diamond plus 8 Raided
> harddrives. I can boot off the XP Pro CD and reinstall XP but it
> seems to have made no difference to the startup of windows ( goes to
> verifiying..etc.. and then goes black and turns off after a couple of
> seconds ).
> I needed the data off the drive so I removed them and set them up on
> my computer (order 2814136) and it worked ok for a while, but then I
> turned it on once and it wouldn't load past the first screen that
> displays memory,processor ide's etc, it just freezes there. I can't
> even get into the bios because of this.
> What is wrong with either my computers?

You CANNOT just remove an ATI video card, leave the ATI drivers installed,
then insert an Nvidia video card, and expect your computer to work. Now you
are in trouble because you have both the Nvidia and ATI drivers loaded on
your computer, and they conflict.

--
DaveW

Captain Ron wrote:
> It may sound strange, but I have had this exact same error and it turned out
> to be a conflict with my floppy drive. I disconnect the drive and it would
> boot fine, reconnect and it would stop at "verifying DMI pool". I installed
> as new floppy and it worked fine.

WILD!