CPU comparison

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2004 4:11:30 PM

I found an old CPU comparison chart on Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-
32.html#comparison_table

Does anyone know of something more recent that includes the Athlon 64
and the new hyperthreading Intel CPU's?

More about : cpu comparison

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2004 5:20:26 PM

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
>I found an old CPU comparison chart on Tom's Hardware:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-
> 32.html#comparison_table
>
> Does anyone know of something more recent that includes the Athlon 64
> and the new hyperthreading Intel CPU's?

You asked. :)

According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment would be:

P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or

P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+

Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for either an
Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about those chips, as
hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as they do on the entire rest
of their system combined.

So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best indicators of who
has the best bang for buck, at the moment.

Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster
Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.
So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD and
one tie.
GAMING OVERALL: TIED

Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Internet Content Creation: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Overall: Intel blows AMD away

Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Synthetic Benchmarks: (PC Mark 2004): Here, Intel blows AMD away on both
*CPU* and memory benchmarks

Even at the same price for CPU, an Intel system can be cheaper to
build, as the P4 boards are more mature at this point, and thus there are
better bargains to be found. Considering that an Intel system will likely
be cheaper to build and WILL perform better on all benchmarks except DX8,
it's kind of a no-brainer as to which chip to build with, at the moment.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/index.html

The following is an article on the Athlon 64 2800+. But more interesting
is,
the benchmarks included in the article are a GREAT comparison of the 3.2GHz
P4
processors with the Athlon64 3200+. In this article, these two processors
are
pretty evenly matched, with Intel being faster on some benchmarks, and AMD
being faster on others.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=203...

Now lets look at what Sharky Extreme has to report in their article about
the
3.4GHz Prescott processor. This one has benchmarks that are a great
comparison
of the 3.4GHz Intel chips with the Athlon64 3400+. Here, you have to be
careful,
as Sharky doesn't organize their charts in order of fastest to slowest. And
on
some charts, LOWER scores are better. But if you read all the benchmarks,
you
will again notice that the two chips are pretty evenly matched, with AMD
faster
on some and Intel faster on others.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3...

Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could change that
would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave, updated 10/2/04
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2004 5:42:12 PM

In article <2so0irF1mm0ksU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...
> Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
> towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
>
> Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Thanks! This is what I really needed to know. I do a LOT of home movie
DVD authoring.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2004 5:53:51 PM

> In article <2so0irF1mm0ksU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...
>> Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
>> towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
>>
>> Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide
>
> Thanks! This is what I really needed to know. I do a LOT of home movie
> DVD authoring.

No problem. :)  I'm just waiting for JK to jump in here and call me a liar
again, even though his own favorite web sites come to the same
onclusion. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2004 7:07:14 PM

>From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net

>Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
>towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
>
>Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty much
decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2004 7:07:15 PM

> Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty
> much
> decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?

The majority of expert opinions state you gain NOTHING by choosing Prescott
over Northwood. However, you don't lose anything, either. On some sites,
the Northwood is actually more expensive (more in demand?). Basically, you
can't lose either way. -Dave
October 10, 2004 7:08:42 PM

PawsForThought wrote:

> >From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net
>
> >Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
> >towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

Perhaps with 32 bit software, however I doubt a P4 EM64T would be ahead
of a comparably priced Athlon 64 or Opteron running 64 bit software, or a 32 bit
P4 running 32 bit software would beat a comparably priced Athlon 64 or Opteron
running 64 bit software. We might need to wait a few months for hard data on this.

> >Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Can you prove this? I am waiting for a link.

> Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty much
> decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2004 11:35:33 PM

>From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net

>> Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty
>> much
>> decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?
>
>The majority of expert opinions state you gain NOTHING by choosing Prescott
>over Northwood. However, you don't lose anything, either. On some sites,
>the Northwood is actually more expensive (more in demand?). Basically, you
>can't lose either way. -Dave

Thanks, Dave. I was given an Intel based board, have some nice Corsair ram and
now all I need is the cpu. Right now I have an AMD T-bird 1 ghz so I'm really
looking forward to getting a faster chip.
!