CPU comparison

I found an old CPU comparison chart on Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-
32.html#comparison_table

Does anyone know of something more recent that includes the Athlon 64
and the new hyperthreading Intel CPU's?
8 answers Last reply
More about comparison

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
    >I found an old CPU comparison chart on Tom's Hardware:
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-
    > 32.html#comparison_table
    >
    > Does anyone know of something more recent that includes the Athlon 64
    > and the new hyperthreading Intel CPU's?

    You asked. :)

    According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment would be:

    P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or

    P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+

    Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for either an
    Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about those chips, as
    hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as they do on the entire rest
    of their system combined.

    So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best indicators of who
    has the best bang for buck, at the moment.

    Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster
    Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
    Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
    TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.
    So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD and
    one tie.
    GAMING OVERALL: TIED

    Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away
    Business Applications: Internet Content Creation: Intel blows AMD away
    Business Applications: Overall: Intel blows AMD away

    Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
    towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

    Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

    Synthetic Benchmarks: (PC Mark 2004): Here, Intel blows AMD away on both
    *CPU* and memory benchmarks

    Even at the same price for CPU, an Intel system can be cheaper to
    build, as the P4 boards are more mature at this point, and thus there are
    better bargains to be found. Considering that an Intel system will likely
    be cheaper to build and WILL perform better on all benchmarks except DX8,
    it's kind of a no-brainer as to which chip to build with, at the moment.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/index.html

    The following is an article on the Athlon 64 2800+. But more interesting
    is,
    the benchmarks included in the article are a GREAT comparison of the 3.2GHz
    P4
    processors with the Athlon64 3200+. In this article, these two processors
    are
    pretty evenly matched, with Intel being faster on some benchmarks, and AMD
    being faster on others.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=1

    Now lets look at what Sharky Extreme has to report in their article about
    the
    3.4GHz Prescott processor. This one has benchmarks that are a great
    comparison
    of the 3.4GHz Intel chips with the Athlon64 3400+. Here, you have to be
    careful,
    as Sharky doesn't organize their charts in order of fastest to slowest. And
    on
    some charts, LOWER scores are better. But if you read all the benchmarks,
    you
    will again notice that the two chips are pretty evenly matched, with AMD
    faster
    on some and Intel faster on others.

    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3329681__1

    Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could change that
    would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave, updated 10/2/04

    In article <2so0irF1mm0ksU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...
    > Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
    > towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
    >
    > Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

    Thanks! This is what I really needed to know. I do a LOT of home movie
    DVD authoring.

    > In article <2so0irF1mm0ksU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...
    >> Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
    >> towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
    >>
    >> Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide
    >
    > Thanks! This is what I really needed to know. I do a LOT of home movie
    > DVD authoring.

    No problem. :) I'm just waiting for JK to jump in here and call me a liar
    again, even though his own favorite web sites come to the same
    onclusion. -Dave

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

    >From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net

    >Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
    >towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
    >
    >Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

    Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty much
    decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?

    > Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty
    > much
    > decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?

    The majority of expert opinions state you gain NOTHING by choosing Prescott
    over Northwood. However, you don't lose anything, either. On some sites,
    the Northwood is actually more expensive (more in demand?). Basically, you
    can't lose either way. -Dave

    PawsForThought wrote:

    > >From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net
    >
    > >Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
    > >towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

    Perhaps with 32 bit software, however I doubt a P4 EM64T would be ahead
    of a comparably priced Athlon 64 or Opteron running 64 bit software, or a 32 bit
    P4 running 32 bit software would beat a comparably priced Athlon 64 or Opteron
    running 64 bit software. We might need to wait a few months for hard data on this.

    > >Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

    Can you prove this? I am waiting for a link.

    > Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty much
    > decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?

    >From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net

    >> Thanks for posting this. I'm also in need of a new cpu and have pretty
    >> much
    >> decided on the P4 3.2. What's your opinion on the Northwood vs. Prescott?
    >
    >The majority of expert opinions state you gain NOTHING by choosing Prescott
    >over Northwood. However, you don't lose anything, either. On some sites,
    >the Northwood is actually more expensive (more in demand?). Basically, you
    >can't lose either way. -Dave

    Thanks, Dave. I was given an Intel based board, have some nice Corsair ram and
    now all I need is the cpu. Right now I have an AMD T-bird 1 ghz so I'm really
    looking forward to getting a faster chip.

Homebuilt Hardware Tom's Hardware CPUs Systems