Wierd Win98 drive recognition problem

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2004 7:12:52 PM

Hi,
I built this PC a few years ago and hav always had a problem with the
dirve recognition in Win98. I get this non-existent drive showing in
'My Computer' and Windows Explorer. AND, my CD drive raely shows up. I
have three hard drives in the PC, partitioned as Drives C:, D:, E:,
F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, and K:. Those partitions all show up correctly in
wondows. But windows also shows a Drive L:, with an unusual drive
icon: a grinning cow! That non-existent drive is, according to the
'properties' a CD-RW drive, but it is always un-accessible. And my
actual CD-RW drive, when it does rarely show up, shows up as M: drive.

So I have a double problem here: how to get ris of the non-existent L
drive and how to get the PC to find my CD-RW drive.

I tried installing a new CD drive, but it makes no difference: the CD
drive only shows up about once in every 30 boot-ups.

I've no idea whee the grinning cow icon came from. I have a vague
recollection that it might have appeared after installing some
shareware program or other. Another thing that may have be relevant in
all this is that once, I had one of thpse LS-120 floppois in the PC as
well as the normal Floppy drive. But that LS-120 drive was taken out a
long time ago - but I can;t remember if that was the same time that
these problems started.

I have relinstalled Win98 several times but it makes no difference.
The motherboard is an Abit BH6 with a Celeron A300.

Any suggestions, other than buying a new computer, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you.

Don
October 9, 2004 7:12:53 PM

you have a 'drive imager' loaded?

"Don Rojo" <Rojo99@antzx.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I built this PC a few years ago and hav always had a problem with
the
> dirve recognition in Win98. I get this non-existent drive showing in
> 'My Computer' and Windows Explorer. AND, my CD drive raely shows up.
> have three hard drives in the PC, partitioned as Drives C:, D:, E:,
> F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, and K:. Those partitions all show up correctly
in
> wondows. But windows also shows a Drive L:, with an unusual drive
> icon: a grinning cow! That non-existent drive is, according to the
> 'properties' a CD-RW drive, but it is always un-accessible. And my
> actual CD-RW drive, when it does rarely show up, shows up as M:
drive.

> So I have a double problem here: how to get ris of the non-existent
> drive and how to get the PC to find my CD-RW drive.
>
> I tried installing a new CD drive, but it makes no difference: the
CD
> drive only shows up about once in every 30 boot-ups.
>
> I've no idea whee the grinning cow icon came from. I have a vague
> recollection that it might have appeared after installing some
> shareware program or other. Another thing that may have be relevant
in
> all this is that once, I had one of thpse LS-120 floppois in the PC
as
> well as the normal Floppy drive. But that LS-120 drive was taken out
> long time ago - but I can;t remember if that was the same time that
> these problems started.
>
> I have relinstalled Win98 several times but it makes no difference.
> The motherboard is an Abit BH6 with a Celeron A300.
>
> Any suggestions, other than buying a new computer, would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2004 7:12:53 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:12:52 GMT, Rojo99@antzx.com (Don Rojo) wrote:

>snip<
>>>Any suggestions, other than buying a new computer, would be greatly
>>>appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>>
>>>Don

Have you tried going into SafeMode and then into system properties and
eliminate any extra/duplicate drives showing under your CD-ROM
catagory?

--
The Seabat
a b B Homebuilt system

>I tried installing a new CD drive, but it makes no difference: the CD
>drive only shows up about once in every 30 boot-ups.

That and many of the other problems you list are the classic signs of
an over loaded PSU. Nothing taxes a PSU like drives. Many of them spin
up all at once. The ones with enough juice are detected at bootup, the
drives with out enough juice, aren't.
October 9, 2004 8:30:41 PM

"Don Rojo" <Rojo99@antzx.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I built this PC a few years ago and hav always had a problem with the
> dirve recognition in Win98. I get this non-existent drive showing in
> 'My Computer' and Windows Explorer. AND, my CD drive raely shows up. I
> have three hard drives in the PC, partitioned as Drives C:, D:, E:,
> F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, and K:. Those partitions all show up correctly in
> wondows. But windows also shows a Drive L:, with an unusual drive
> icon: a grinning cow! That non-existent drive is, according to the
> 'properties' a CD-RW drive, but it is always un-accessible. And my
> actual CD-RW drive, when it does rarely show up, shows up as M: drive.
>

> So I have a double problem here: how to get ris of the non-existent L
> drive and how to get the PC to find my CD-RW drive.
>
> I tried installing a new CD drive, but it makes no difference: the CD
> drive only shows up about once in every 30 boot-ups.
>
> I've no idea whee the grinning cow icon came from. I have a vague
> recollection that it might have appeared after installing some
> shareware program or other. Another thing that may have be relevant in
> all this is that once, I had one of thpse LS-120 floppois in the PC as
> well as the normal Floppy drive. But that LS-120 drive was taken out a
> long time ago - but I can;t remember if that was the same time that
> these problems started.
>
> I have relinstalled Win98 several times but it makes no difference.
> The motherboard is an Abit BH6 with a Celeron A300.
>
> Any suggestions, other than buying a new computer, would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Don

Is it a Jersey or Friesian.......it can make a difference.

toy
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2004 9:16:29 PM

"Don Rojo" <Rojo99@antzx.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I built this PC a few years ago and hav always had a problem with the
> dirve recognition in Win98. I get this non-existent drive showing in
> 'My Computer' and Windows Explorer. AND, my CD drive raely shows up. I
> have three hard drives in the PC, partitioned as Drives C:, D:, E:,
> F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, and K:. Those partitions all show up correctly in
> wondows. But windows also shows a Drive L:, with an unusual drive
> icon: a grinning cow! That non-existent drive is, according to the
> 'properties' a CD-RW drive, but it is always un-accessible. And my
> actual CD-RW drive, when it does rarely show up, shows up as M: drive.

Uninstall clonecd, that is the source of the virtual drive.

With regard to recognition of the other drive, check the manufacturers
documentation with regard to jumper settings particularly if it is a Western
Digital drive.

MJP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2004 10:39:46 PM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:16:29 +0100, "MJP" <mjpjunk32@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>Uninstall clonecd, that is the source of the virtual drive.

Aha! Thank you! I'm so glad to find out what that non-existent drive
was!

>>With regard to recognition of the other drive, check the manufacturers
>>documentation with regard to jumper settings particularly if it is a Western

The jumber settings were one of the first things I looked at. They are
correct.

Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2004 10:40:57 PM

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:06:10 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>>you have a 'drive imager' loaded?

I'm not sure. What is a drive imager?

Don
October 11, 2004 10:40:58 PM

MJP's post...

> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:06:10 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>you have a 'drive imager' loaded?
>
> I'm not sure. What is a drive imager?
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2004 11:16:39 PM

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:23:16 -0400, AndrewJ
<andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>I tried installing a new CD drive, but it makes no difference: the CD
>>>drive only shows up about once in every 30 boot-ups.
>>
>>That and many of the other problems you list are the classic signs of
>>an over loaded PSU. Nothing taxes a PSU like drives. Many of them spin
>>up all at once. The ones with enough juice are detected at bootup, the
>>drives with out enough juice, aren't.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the cause. I've
disconnected my secondary master and secondary slave drives, leaving
only one hard drive and the CD-RW drive - but there is no improvement
running the PC likat that. It still doesn't usually see the CD-RW
drive. I'm wondering if it's an IRQ conflict - but don't know how to
change the IRQ setting for the drive. Any suggestions, anyone?

Don
October 11, 2004 11:16:40 PM

you have either of those set to CS?

the CD

> >>That and many of the other problems you list are the classic signs
of
> >>an over loaded PSU. Nothing taxes a PSU like drives. Many of them
spin
> >>up all at once. The ones with enough juice are detected at bootup,
the
> >>drives with out enough juice, aren't.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the cause. I've
> disconnected my secondary master and secondary slave drives, leaving
> only one hard drive and the CD-RW drive - but there is no
improvement
> running the PC likat that. It still doesn't usually see the CD-RW
> drive. I'm wondering if it's an IRQ conflict - but don't know how to
> change the IRQ setting for the drive. Any suggestions, anyone?
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 1:37:35 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:53:42 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>>you have either of those set to CS?

What is CS? (Or what does CS stand for?) Thanks.

Don

>>"Don Rojo" <Rojo99@antzx.com> wrote in message

>>the CD

>>of
>>spin
>>the
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the cause. I've
>>> disconnected my secondary master and secondary slave drives, leaving
>>> only one hard drive and the CD-RW drive - but there is no
>>improvement
>>> running the PC likat that. It still doesn't usually see the CD-RW
>>> drive. I'm wondering if it's an IRQ conflict - but don't know how to
>>> change the IRQ setting for the drive. Any suggestions, anyone?
>>>
>>> Don

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 7:00:26 PM

wrote:

>>you have either of those set to CS?

Cable select? No - I have the hard drive's jumper set as master and
the CD-RW's jumper set as slave. Neither is set as CS.

Don
October 12, 2004 7:00:27 PM

ok what drive brand- western digital? have you set it to master
with slave or lone master?

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:53:42 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>you have either of those set to CS?
>
> Cable select? No - I have the hard drive's jumper set as master and
> the CD-RW's jumper set as slave. Neither is set as CS.
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 7:00:27 PM

>>>you have either of those set to CS?
>
>Cable select? No - I have the hard drive's jumper set as master and
>the CD-RW's jumper set as slave. Neither is set as CS.
>
>Don

Optical drives should never share the same cable as a HDD. Since the
max cable speed is always determined by the data speed of the slowest
drive.
October 12, 2004 7:00:28 PM

could you link a page to that info relating to boards of 2 years or
less of age, or are you saying that's your opinion?

"AndrewJ" <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >Cable select? No - I have the hard drive's jumper set as master
and
> >the CD-RW's jumper set as slave. Neither is set as CS.
> >
> >Don
>
> Optical drives should never share the same cable as a HDD. Since the
> max cable speed is always determined by the data speed of the
slowest
> drive.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 10:17:46 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:15:36 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>>ok what drive brand- western digital? have you set it to master
>>with slave or lone master?

Hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA II. The jumper options are:

(1) Master
(2) Slave
(3) Master with non-ATA-compatible drive
(4) Cable select

I had it set as (1). Today, I also tried it with the (3) jumper
setting, but CD-RW drive still didn't show up.

Don
October 12, 2004 10:17:47 PM

bios is set to 'auto detect' the IDE channels?....

I have seen this before on older HP- DHELLS ect.. where you simply
can't have the optical on the same channel as the HD

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:15:36 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>ok what drive brand- western digital? have you set it to master
> >>with slave or lone master?
>
> Hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA II. The jumper options are:
>
> (1) Master
> (2) Slave
> (3) Master with non-ATA-compatible drive
> (4) Cable select
>
> I had it set as (1). Today, I also tried it with the (3) jumper
> setting, but CD-RW drive still didn't show up.
>
> Don
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 2:37:31 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:45:27 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>>bios is set to 'auto detect' the IDE channels?....
>>
>>I have seen this before on older HP- DHELLS ect.. where you simply
>>can't have the optical on the same channel as the HD

I've tried all the options on the BIOS' Standard CMOS setup, regards
setting the type and mode for each drive. I've also run the BIOS'
Auto-hard-drive-detect thing which always registers the CD-RW as
"none". The BIOS is Award Modular Bios V4.51PG with Award Plug+Play
bios extension V1.0A.

Don

!