Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooter Not Working

Last response: in Windows 7
March 2, 2011 7:25:25 PM

My desktop has recently started having issues with the Troubleshooting program built into Win 7. Every single troubleshooter, no matter where or what context it is being used in, stops after a few seconds and gives an error that it cannot continue. Here's what the message looks like:

An error occurred while troubleshooting:
An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard cannot continue.

When I click on the 'View Error Details' underneath this message, here is what I get:

Package ID: (any thing here)
Path: Unknown
Error Code: 0x80131700
Source: Engine
User: PC\[Me]
Context: Elevated

These error details remain exactly the same every time I use the troubleshooter. Any ideas for why this is happening would be much appreciated.

More about : troubleshooter working

March 2, 2011 7:30:32 PM

Have you tried to do a system restore and see if you're getting the same problems?

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
March 2, 2011 8:10:15 PM

I've tried but it hasn't changed anything.
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2011 12:15:15 AM

Well I guess I solved my own problem. If anyone in the future finds this thread, here is my solution:

It was an issue with the .NET Framework I had installed on my PC. I went to the Control Panel and went to Uninstall a Program. Then I scrolled down until I found Microsoft .NET Framework and click Uninstall/Change. After that I clicked on Repair instead of remove and that was it. It fixed itself and my troubleshooter is working again.
m
l
August 6, 2011 11:44:50 AM

I have tried repairing both microsoft .net framework 4 client profile and extended. Didn't help.
m
l
!