3.4E or 3.4C?

Can anyone tell me which would be better?, is there wide availability of the
D0 stepping Prescott?

The higher temps and lower benchmarks of the 3.4E kinda put me off, any
informed persons willing to give some insight is appreciated..
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.

    I've got an Intel setup, but thanks.

    Get the 3.4F much better 4 Meg onboard cache.

    "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > Get the 3.4F much better 4 Meg onboard cache.

    Huh?...troll alert?

    JK wrote:
    > An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.
    >

    > Richard Dower wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone tell me which would be better?, is there wide availability of the
    >>D0 stepping Prescott?
    >>
    >>The higher temps and lower benchmarks of the 3.4E kinda put me off, any
    >>informed persons willing to give some insight is appreciated..

    I understand that the 3500+ is S939. What MB/chipset is best for this CPU?

    Ron

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

    Ron Joiner wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    > > An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.
    > >

    > > Richard Dower wrote:
    > >

    > >>Can anyone tell me which would be better?, is there wide availability of the
    > >>D0 stepping Prescott?
    > >>
    > >>The higher temps and lower benchmarks of the 3.4E kinda put me off, any
    > >>informed persons willing to give some insight is appreciated..
    > >

    > I understand that the 3500+ is S939. What MB/chipset is best for this CPU?
    >
    > Ron

    >From: "Richard Dower" richarddower@hotmail.com

    >"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.
    >
    >I've got an Intel setup, but thanks.

    I wanted an Athlon64 but got an Intel board given to me. So I'm in the same
    quandry as you, deciding between the Northwood core or the Prescott. From all
    that I've read, I've decided to go with the Northwood core. I suppose if you
    do proper cooling, the Prescott would be good too. Have you seen this
    article?:

    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=201&catid=1

    PawsForThought wrote:

    > >From: "Richard Dower" richarddower@hotmail.com
    >
    > >"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >> An Athlon 64 3500+ at around the same price would be a much better choice.
    > >
    > >I've got an Intel setup, but thanks.
    >
    > I wanted an Athlon64 but got an Intel board given to me.

    You could Ebay it, and get an Athlon 64.

    > So I'm in the same
    > quandry as you, deciding between the Northwood core or the Prescott. From all
    > that I've read, I've decided to go with the Northwood core. I suppose if you
    > do proper cooling, the Prescott would be good too. Have you seen this
    > article?:
    >
    > http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=201&catid=1

    >From: JK JK9821@netscape.net

    >PawsForThought wrote:
    >
    >> >From: "Richard Dower" richarddower@hotmail.com
    >>
    >> >"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >choice.
    >> >
    >> >I've got an Intel setup, but thanks.
    >>
    >> I wanted an Athlon64 but got an Intel board given to me.
    >
    >You could Ebay it, and get an Athlon 64.

    Yeah I was thinking about that. I've got some nice Corsair ram that would go
    with either cpu. I thought I might get the Intel cpu for now and wait a couple
    years till there are 64 bit apps to take advantage of the Athlon64.

    PawsForThought wrote:

    > >From: JK JK9821@netscape.net

    > >choice.

    > >> I wanted an Athlon64 but got an Intel board given to me.
    > >
    > >You could Ebay it, and get an Athlon 64.
    >
    > Yeah I was thinking about that. I've got some nice Corsair ram that would go
    > with either cpu. I thought I might get the Intel cpu for now and wait a couple
    > years

    More like a few months. I expect many 64 bit applications to be available
    a year from now, and perhaps even a nice number available 6 months from now.

    > till there are 64 bit apps to take advantage of the Athlon64.

Homebuilt Hardware Systems