cloning to external USB hd question

Hi,

Lately I've been fixing a lot of old P2's running win95 or 98.
These are boxes used by children in their homes. I volunter to fix
them when they stop booting, etc. They are gradually learning not to
put tiddley winks and baseball cards in the floppy drives.

I was wondering;
could I use XXcopy and just copy a drive to an external usb hard drive, so
I could then copy the data back when it gets screwed up? These are usually
1.2 or 1.6 gig
hard drives so I could easily put the entire drive contents on my external
80 gig WD.
The old boxes don't have USB ports, but I have a card that usually works in
them.
I also have a P2 350 that does have USB so I thought I could take the borked
drive,
put it in the 350 as a slave, copy fm the external drive, and then put it
back in the
old computer as a master again, thus speeding the whole thing up, etc.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Al

I've been laboring away at this without success.
I'm using Xxcopy and have successfully cloned drives one to another, but
have not been able to "clone" to a directory on the external drive.
I think my first post may not have been clear.
I want to clone Lauen's hd to a directory on the external drive named Lauen,
etc.

Al

!Allen Lasting wrote:
> I've been laboring away at this without success.
> I'm using Xxcopy and have successfully cloned drives one to another, but
> have not been able to "clone" to a directory on the external drive.
> I think my first post may not have been clear.
> I want to clone Lauen's hd to a directory on the external drive named Lauen,
> etc.

And what, exactly, 'goes wrong' with it?

> Al

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> When I put in a command such as:
>
> xxcopy c: d:/lauren clone
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\^^^^^\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

> I get an error message saying something like the switch isn't
> supported. It
> was last week so I don't remember exactly what it say.
>
> From your reply I infer it is possible. If it is, I'll go back to
> work on
> it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al
>

>> And what, exactly, 'goes wrong' with it?

Howdy!

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > When I put in a command such as:
> >
> > xxcopy c: d:/lauren clone
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\^^^^^\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I suggest re-reading the specs.

CLONE is a CLONE - it's not a "Copy to another directory."

Try "XXCOPY C:\*.* D:\Lauren /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y/S/F" instead.

RwP

Fix your damn System Clock, for your postings!

--
DaveW

!Allen Lasting wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I may be too dumb to have a comuter. I can't figure out what your reply
> means.
>
> Al
>

>>>xxcopy c: d:/lauren clone
>>
>>\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\^^^^^\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I may be able to help (I know a thing or two about dos). I am not
familiar with the command xxcopy. Do you mean xcopy? What is it you
are trying to do. I never got the initial part of the thread.

zealott wrote:
> !Allen Lasting wrote:
>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> I may be too dumb to have a comuter. I can't figure out what your reply
>> means.
>>
>> Al

> I may be able to help (I know a thing or two about dos). I am not
> familiar with the command xxcopy. Do you mean xcopy? What is it you
> are trying to do. I never got the initial part of the thread.

This is the first post I've seen in this thread, but I assume the

<http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm>

Ian