How do I link a wireless computer to a DSL computer?

I have a computer using DSL. I just got another computer that I want to "tap
in" to my DSL modem. I am not interested in setting up an office network of
any kind. I only want the wireless computer to be able to get online.

Computer#1 is connected to an Actiontec GT 704 WG DSL Gateway (provided by
my phone company).
Computer #2 has a Linksys WUSB11 USV Network Adapter(otherwise, no internet
acess).

Both computers are desktops with Windows XP SP2.

Tech Support at my phone company said the wireless connection I'm getting on
the wireless computer probably isn't even feeing off of my DSL account. I
think he's right.

Linksys Tech Support said I had to buy another router so my DSL account can
"talk" to the wireless computer. I think he's right, too.

I guess my questions are:
1) Does it matter if my wireless computer is not linked directely to my DSL
account?
2) If not, how do I make the wireless account secure? (When I installed the
Linksys unit, I connected by clicking on "Connect even if unsecure." Tech
support says anyone can get into my computer this way.

Thank you for any help. I (obviously) know nothing about wireless connections.

"MWH" <MWH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer using DSL. I just got another computer that I want to
>"tap
> in" to my DSL modem. I am not interested in setting up an office network
> of
> any kind. I only want the wireless computer to be able to get online.
>
> Computer#1 is connected to an Actiontec GT 704 WG DSL Gateway (provided by
> my phone company).

Is this also a wireless capable modem?

> Computer #2 has a Linksys WUSB11 USV Network Adapter(otherwise, no
> internet
> acess).
>
> Both computers are desktops with Windows XP SP2.
>
> Tech Support at my phone company said the wireless connection I'm getting
> on
> the wireless computer probably isn't even feeing off of my DSL account. I
> think he's right.

Then it is using someone else's internet connection. How is it doing that?
Make it stop.

> Linksys Tech Support said I had to buy another router so my DSL account
> can
> "talk" to the wireless computer. I think he's right, too.

If your wireless computer has a wireless card built in or otherwise working,
you're in business.

> I guess my questions are:
> 1) Does it matter if my wireless computer is not linked directely to my
> DSL
> account?

What do you mean? Are you or are you not getting an internet connection on
the wireless computer?

> 2) If not, how do I make the wireless account secure? (When I installed
> the
> Linksys unit, I connected by clicking on "Connect even if unsecure." Tech
> support says anyone can get into my computer this way.

Enable WEP and WAP security. Do not enable printer or file sharing.

> Thank you for any help. I (obviously) know nothing about wireless
> connections.

Windows Help and Support has plenty of information. Google is a priceless
resource. Simply Google for "home networking".

The Actiontec modem is capable of wireless. There is a light on the modem to
indicate if wireless is on, but it never comes on.

As for my other computer with the WUSB11 Network Adapter, I can get online
with it. I assume it is just finding an open wireless connection somewhere in
the neighborhood. However, I don't wan't to "piggyback" on someone else's
connection, and I don't know how to stop it. Since I'm already paying for my
own DSL, I just want my second computer to gain internet access from it.

As for the WEP security, I don't know how to enable it, but I would like to.

It may be that I don't have the proper equipment, and the Tech Support guy
wasn't too helpful.

Thank you for your help.

"Kevin" wrote:

> "MWH" <MWH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a computer using DSL. I just got another computer that I want to
> >"tap
> > in" to my DSL modem. I am not interested in setting up an office network
> > of
> > any kind. I only want the wireless computer to be able to get online.
> >
> > Computer#1 is connected to an Actiontec GT 704 WG DSL Gateway (provided by
> > my phone company).
>

> Is this also a wireless capable modem?
>

> > Computer #2 has a Linksys WUSB11 USV Network Adapter(otherwise, no
> > internet
> > acess).
> >
> > Both computers are desktops with Windows XP SP2.
> >
> > Tech Support at my phone company said the wireless connection I'm getting
> > on
> > the wireless computer probably isn't even feeing off of my DSL account. I
> > think he's right.
>

> Then it is using someone else's internet connection. How is it doing that?
> Make it stop.
>

> > Linksys Tech Support said I had to buy another router so my DSL account
> > can
> > "talk" to the wireless computer. I think he's right, too.
>

> If your wireless computer has a wireless card built in or otherwise working,
> you're in business.
>

> > I guess my questions are:
> > 1) Does it matter if my wireless computer is not linked directely to my
> > DSL
> > account?
>

> What do you mean? Are you or are you not getting an internet connection on
> the wireless computer?
>

> > 2) If not, how do I make the wireless account secure? (When I installed
> > the
> > Linksys unit, I connected by clicking on "Connect even if unsecure." Tech
> > support says anyone can get into my computer this way.
>

> Enable WEP and WAP security. Do not enable printer or file sharing.
> >
> > Thank you for any help. I (obviously) know nothing about wireless
> > connections.
>
> Windows Help and Support has plenty of information. Google is a priceless
> resource. Simply Google for "home networking".

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

I use the Actiontec 701 WG, but I don't use the wireless part due to having
a faster wireless network prior to getting the Actiontec.

To use the wireless capabilities you must configure the wireless options.
Using internet explorer and a computer that is wired to the modem(router)
put 192.168.0.1(address by default-check the documentation that came with
the router, I had to change mine to 192.168.2.1 to coexist with my current
network) in the address bar. This will take you to the admin page of the
router.
Next click advanced setup, then click on begin advanced setup.
Click wireless settings and click the radio button Wireless on to turn on
the radio.
Next change the ESSID to anything but the default(Actiontec). Leave it on
channel 9.
You should now be able to see the wireless router from your wireless
computer AND connect to the internet.
Your internet account settings are stored on the Actiontec router and it is
the router that authenticates your account for you with your isp.

For wireless security you will need to setup- WEP or even better
WPA-PSK(turned OFF by default).
Do a Google search to find out more on wireless security.

Hope that helps.

> [...]
>> > 1) Does it matter if my wireless computer is not linked directely to my
>> > DSL
>> > account?
>>

>> What do you mean? Are you or are you not getting an internet connection
>> on
>> the wireless computer?
>>

>> > 2) If not, how do I make the wireless account secure? (When I installed
>> > the
>> > Linksys unit, I connected by clicking on "Connect even if unsecure."
>> > Tech
>> > support says anyone can get into my computer this way.
>>

>> Enable WEP and WAP security. Do not enable printer or file sharing.
>> >
>> > Thank you for any help. I (obviously) know nothing about wireless
>> > connections.
>>
>> Windows Help and Support has plenty of information. Google is a
>> priceless
>> resource. Simply Google for "home networking".

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed. Both of my computers are online now!