how to troubleshoot jerky video output

I have a LeadTek WinFast A 340T AGP Video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200) on a
system that I recently built. I just bought a Samsung 16x DVD ROM drive and
tried testing the video. I am seeing that the video output is slightly
jerky. It is clearly noticeable when watching flowing water - after every
3/4 seconds there is a fraction of a second pause before it continues again.
It is also noticeable when the camera is panning a scene, when a person is
running etc.

Can someone suggest how can I troubleshoot this? I un-installed all video
card related software (including the dirvers) and installed the latest
direct x from the micorsoft website. Then I re-installed the video card
software again. Then I installed power dvd.

I still see the same problem. Can it be related to the dvd rom drive? What
else should I check?

Here is my system info:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with the standard retail heatsink on socket 754
MSI K8N Neo FSR mainboard BIOS v1.4
Antec TruPower 380 W PSU and Antec Sonata case
Leadtek WinFast NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP Card
1 GB Patriot Ram
160GB SATA drive Western Digital
1 Samsung 16X TS-H352A DVD ROM Drive hooked on to IDE1
1 standard floppy drive
Windows XP

Thanks,
Shantanu Sen
2 answers Last reply
More about troubleshoot jerky video output

    DMA is enabled on the MB and in windows?
    VIA chipset? VIA drivers?

    "Shantanu Sen" <sdsen@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I have a LeadTek WinFast A 340T AGP Video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200) on
    > system that I recently built. I just bought a Samsung 16x DVD ROM drive
    and
    > tried testing the video. I am seeing that the video output is slightly
    > jerky. It is clearly noticeable when watching flowing water - after every
    > 3/4 seconds there is a fraction of a second pause before it continues
    again.
    > It is also noticeable when the camera is panning a scene, when a person is
    > running etc.
    >
    > Can someone suggest how can I troubleshoot this? I un-installed all video
    > card related software (including the dirvers) and installed the latest
    > direct x from the micorsoft website. Then I re-installed the video card
    > software again. Then I installed power dvd.
    >
    > I still see the same problem. Can it be related to the dvd rom drive? What
    > else should I check?
    >
    > Here is my system info:
    > AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with the standard retail heatsink on socket 754
    > MSI K8N Neo FSR mainboard BIOS v1.4
    > Antec TruPower 380 W PSU and Antec Sonata case
    > Leadtek WinFast NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP Card
    > 1 GB Patriot Ram
    > 160GB SATA drive Western Digital
    > 1 Samsung 16X TS-H352A DVD ROM Drive hooked on to IDE1
    > 1 standard floppy drive
    > Windows XP
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Shantanu Sen

    yes, DMA is enabled both on mb and windows. nVidia chipset and dirvers.

    "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
    > DMA is enabled on the MB and in windows?
    > VIA chipset? VIA drivers?
    >
    > "Shantanu Sen" <sdsen@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > > I have a LeadTek WinFast A 340T AGP Video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200)
    on
    > > system that I recently built. I just bought a Samsung 16x DVD ROM drive
    > and
    > > tried testing the video. I am seeing that the video output is slightly
    > > jerky. It is clearly noticeable when watching flowing water - after
    every
    > > 3/4 seconds there is a fraction of a second pause before it continues
    > again.
    > > It is also noticeable when the camera is panning a scene, when a person
    is
    > > running etc.
    > >
    > > Can someone suggest how can I troubleshoot this? I un-installed all
    video
    > > card related software (including the dirvers) and installed the latest
    > > direct x from the micorsoft website. Then I re-installed the video card
    > > software again. Then I installed power dvd.
    > >
    > > I still see the same problem. Can it be related to the dvd rom drive?
    What
    > > else should I check?
    > >
    > > Here is my system info:
    > > AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with the standard retail heatsink on socket 754
    > > MSI K8N Neo FSR mainboard BIOS v1.4
    > > Antec TruPower 380 W PSU and Antec Sonata case
    > > Leadtek WinFast NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP Card
    > > 1 GB Patriot Ram
    > > 160GB SATA drive Western Digital
    > > 1 Samsung 16X TS-H352A DVD ROM Drive hooked on to IDE1
    > > 1 standard floppy drive
    > > Windows XP
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > > Shantanu Sen