Startup beeps

I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually means
that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then eight more
(if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to switch on
the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't come to
life at all.

When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling me to
check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and out and
they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this problem after
putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?

Anybody any ideas as I've run out!

TIA
Netty

jad

remove the card reader temporarily

"Netty" <netty@godknows.co.uk> wrote in message
> I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually
means
> that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then
eight more
> (if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to
switch on
> the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't
come to
> life at all.
>
> When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling
me to
> check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and
out and
> they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this
problem after
> putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
> something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?
>
> Anybody any ideas as I've run out!
>
> TIA
> Netty

jad

try removing the KB or try another one. after the 2 short beeps
there is no error displayed on screen?

"Netty" <netty@godknows.co.uk> wrote in message
> I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually
means
> that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then
eight more
> (if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to
switch on
> the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't
come to
> life at all.
>
> When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling
me to
> check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and
out and
> they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this
problem after
> putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
> something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?
>
> Anybody any ideas as I've run out!
>
> TIA
> Netty

The only message that shows up is to advise me to check cables.

KB is fine

jad

going on general BEEP codes 2 shorts usually means a post error. this
usually ends up on the screen. Where about did you connect the card
reader? Did you have to open the case? were you working near the
memsticks or vid card?

> The only message that shows up is to advise me to check cables.
>
> KB is fine

I connected the card reader on the USB 2.0 header on the mobo. I've got no
memory or other cards near to where I connected the card reader to the mobo.
I always check everything is attached each time I've connected/disconnected
things inside

Sorry, just unplugged the card reader from my mobo again - it is my card
reader. Looks like I'm off to get an external card reader!

jad

glad you figured it out....
> Sorry, just unplugged the card reader from my mobo again - it is my
card
> reader. Looks like I'm off to get an external card reader!

jad

I think you may find that you need to check your pinouts from the reader and
of the MB.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> glad you figured it out....
> "Netty" <netty@godknows.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Sorry, just unplugged the card reader from my mobo again - it is my
> card
> > reader. Looks like I'm off to get an external card reader!

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:39:33 +0100 There I was minding my own business
and then "Netty" <netty@godknows.co.uk> wrote :

>I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually means
>that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then eight more
>(if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to switch on
>the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't come to
>life at all.
>
>When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling me to
>check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and out and
>they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this problem after
>putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
>something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?
>
>Anybody any ideas as I've run out!
>
>TIA
>Netty

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Shep© wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:39:33 +0100 There I was minding my own business
> and then "Netty" <netty@godknows.co.uk> wrote :
>

>>I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually means
>>that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then eight more
>>(if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to switch on
>>the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't come to
>>life at all.
>>
>>When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling me to
>>check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and out and
>>they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this problem after
>>putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
>>something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?
>>
>>Anybody any ideas as I've run out!
>>
>>TIA
>>Netty
>>

> http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
> http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
>
> HTH :)

Well and good that we have the beepcodes, and thanks, Shep! BUT, when
ever we plug USB devices into our computers, they draw current, loading
the Power Supply Unit (PSU), which can be marginal.

We always need to be aware of the basics, like when we start up a system
we will get a POST (Power On Self Test). Just restarting the system
until it finally comes up is NOT a viable solution, people!

Be careful and safe out there, and use Mozilla for your Browser, to be
safer, and, to be totally safe try a LiveCD of GNU/Linux or BSD!

Bud

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:39:33 +0100, "Netty"
<netty@godknows.co.uk>; it was posted:

....>I know that when you switch on a pc, if you hear one beep it usually means
....>that the pc is ok. But what if you get two quick beeps and then eight more
....>(if you know what I mean)? It sometimes takes up to 5 attempts to switch on
....>the pc for it to boot up correctly. Sometimes the hard drive doesn't come to
....>life at all.
....>
....>When the pc beeps like above, I get a message on the screen telling me to
....>check cables - monitor is okay. I've checked all cables inside and out and
....>they all seem to be connected ok. I've only been getting this problem after
....>putting in an internal multi-card reader. Do you think this may have
....>something to do with it? Or could my hard drive be on its way out?
....>
....>Anybody any ideas as I've run out!
....>
....>TIA
....>Netty

Try this site for the codes,, take the choice.
If it is no longer there let me know, I'll send the PDF
zipped folder for your board, if I have it.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/POSTCODE_BEEPCODE/

Bud in FL
You should say which board, Asus?, Phoenix?AMD?
....>