Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disabling On-board Sound Chip

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 2:02:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
setup. How else can I do this?

- Magnusfarce
October 12, 2004 2:24:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You didn't mention checking the CMOS/bios setup routine...DHELL? GAGway?

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:84-dnRbIvdBzkPHcRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an
inexpensive
> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the
new
> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid
of
> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within
the
> setup. How else can I do this?
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 2:47:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via chipset.
This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at 900
mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.

The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection of the
board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy" board. I
was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section shows
setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual computer BIOS
doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the limited
support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be worth the
effort.

I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll live with
it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).

- Magnusfarce

- Magnusfarce
Related resources
October 12, 2004 4:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

you could load the drivers for it then disable it in device manager.
If your not intending to add any more hardware to the machine, then if
by disabling you lose the resources it won't matter much.


"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:Bc-dnfK0taQjtfHcRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
> Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via
chipset.
> This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at
900
> mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.
>
> The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection
of the
> board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy"
board. I
> was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section
shows
> setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual
computer BIOS
> doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the
limited
> support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be
worth the
> effort.
>
> I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll
live with
> it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 6:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I tried several drivers, but couldn't get any of them to work. If any of
them, had, I would probably have just used the on board version. Good idea,
though. I tried to disable and even uninstall it through Windows, but
nothing would stick past the next reboot.

- Magnusfarce
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 6:47:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:24:42 -0700, "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com>
wrote:

>You didn't mention checking the CMOS/bios setup routine...DHELL? GAGway?
>
>"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>news:84-dnRbIvdBzkPHcRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
>> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an
>inexpensive
>> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the
>new
>> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid
>of
>> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
>> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
>> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within
>the
>> setup. How else can I do this?
>>
>> - Magnusfarce
>> =================================

Some BIOS screens have more detail than will fit on one screen.

Try the down arrow (while in the peripheral screen).

Of course, I'm probably the only dummy that discovered that.

Jack
October 12, 2004 7:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/144/144935.htm




"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:D 8CdnXk4SNgc0vHcRVn-gA@adelphia.com...
> I tried several drivers, but couldn't get any of them to work. If any of
> them, had, I would probably have just used the on board version. Good
idea,
> though. I tried to disable and even uninstall it through Windows, but
> nothing would stick past the next reboot.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 12, 2004 8:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Magnusfarce" wrote:
> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
> setup. How else can I do this?

In BIOS, look under "Advanced Chipset Features" for "OnChip Sound". Disable this.

Jon
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 3:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:41:56 -0700 There I was minding my own business
and then "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote :

>I tried several drivers, but couldn't get any of them to work. If any of
>them, had, I would probably have just used the on board version. Good idea,
>though. I tried to disable and even uninstall it through Windows, but
>nothing would stick past the next reboot.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>

There usually 3 parts to on board sound that should be disabled in the
BIOS

AC97
Joystick Port
Midi

In Win98/ME then use Safemode/Device Manager as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
To remove ALL sound video and game section entries and re-boot but
also before doing so make sure no extra software has been installed
for the Sound chip in the Control Panel/Add remove programs lisat.If
there remove.
Once all done clean registry as per,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

HTH :) 



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 4:12:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Magnusfarce wrote:
> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
> setup. How else can I do this?
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>
Did you move the jumper to turn off the sound chip? There is one jumper
to turn off the on-board modem, and one jumper for the sound... two
little jumpers next to each other, near the modem, or the sound chip!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 5:15:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Magnusfarce wrote:
> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
> setup. How else can I do this?
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>

jumper on the motherboard? What board are you using?


Cheers,

Ari

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 12:52:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Sorry, nothing there.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 12:57:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I guess I wasn't clear earlier. I've been through the setup menus at least
ten times now, and there's nothing there.

- Magnusfarce
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 12:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks. See my reply to Spodosaurus's post.

- Magnusfarce
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 11:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Magnusfarce wrote:
> Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via chipset.
> This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at 900
> mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.
>
> The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection of the
> board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy" board. I
> was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section shows
> setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual computer BIOS
> doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the limited
> support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be worth the
> effort.
>
> I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll live with
> it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>
>

I had a look at chapter 2 of the manual, and right at the end of the
chapter there's a jumper on the board (J8) in the bottom back corner to
turn off the soft audio. You need the jumper to be on pins 2-3 (disable)
rather than 1-2 (enable). Pins 2-3 are toward the 'front' of the board
(front being where the case wires connect).

HTH,

Ari

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2004 11:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks, great idea, but, get this, no jumper switch. Section 2.26 in the
manual, right there next to the audio chip (which ID's properly) and not far
from the motherboard ID. Nothin' there, nobody home. According to the
drawing in the manual, everything else matches up perfectly. Must be some
subtle variation on the typical board. Go figure.

- Magnusfarce
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2004 4:43:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Magnusfarce wrote:
> Thanks, great idea, but, get this, no jumper switch. Section 2.26 in the
> manual, right there next to the audio chip (which ID's properly) and not far
> from the motherboard ID. Nothin' there, nobody home. According to the
> drawing in the manual, everything else matches up perfectly. Must be some
> subtle variation on the typical board. Go figure.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>

Is there a J8 elsewhere on the board?

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
!