Disabling On-board Sound Chip

I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
setup. How else can I do this?

- Magnusfarce
16 answers Last reply
More about disabling board sound chip

    You didn't mention checking the CMOS/bios setup routine...DHELL? GAGway?

    "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an
    inexpensive
    > sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the
    new
    > devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid
    of
    > the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
    > on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
    > nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within
    the
    > setup. How else can I do this?
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via chipset.
    This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at 900
    mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.

    The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection of the
    board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy" board. I
    was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section shows
    setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual computer BIOS
    doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the limited
    support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be worth the
    effort.

    I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll live with
    it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).

    - Magnusfarce

    - Magnusfarce

    you could load the drivers for it then disable it in device manager.
    If your not intending to add any more hardware to the machine, then if
    by disabling you lose the resources it won't matter much.

    > Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via
    chipset.
    > This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at
    900
    > mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.
    >
    > The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection
    of the
    > board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy"
    board. I
    > was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section
    shows
    > setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual
    computer BIOS
    > doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the
    limited
    > support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be
    worth the
    > effort.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll
    live with
    > it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).
    >
    > - Magnusfarce
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    I tried several drivers, but couldn't get any of them to work. If any of
    them, had, I would probably have just used the on board version. Good idea,
    though. I tried to disable and even uninstall it through Windows, but
    nothing would stick past the next reboot.

    - Magnusfarce

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:24:42 -0700, "JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com>
    wrote:

    >You didn't mention checking the CMOS/bios setup routine...DHELL? GAGway?
    >
    >"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an
    >inexpensive
    >> sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the
    >new
    >> devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid
    >of
    >> the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
    >> on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
    >> nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within
    >the
    >> setup. How else can I do this?
    >>
    >> - Magnusfarce
    >> =================================

    Some BIOS screens have more detail than will fit on one screen.

    Try the down arrow (while in the peripheral screen).

    Of course, I'm probably the only dummy that discovered that.

    Jack

    http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/144/144935.htm

    "Magnusfarce" wrote:
    > I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
    > sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
    > devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
    > the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
    > on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
    > nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
    > setup. How else can I do this?

    In BIOS, look under "Advanced Chipset Features" for "OnChip Sound". Disable this.

    Jon

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:41:56 -0700 There I was minding my own business
    and then "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce@adelphia.net> wrote :

    >I tried several drivers, but couldn't get any of them to work. If any of
    >them, had, I would probably have just used the on board version. Good idea,
    >though. I tried to disable and even uninstall it through Windows, but
    >nothing would stick past the next reboot.
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    There usually 3 parts to on board sound that should be disabled in the
    BIOS

    AC97
    Joystick Port
    Midi

    In Win98/ME then use Safemode/Device Manager as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
    To remove ALL sound video and game section entries and re-boot but
    also before doing so make sure no extra software has been installed
    for the Sound chip in the Control Panel/Add remove programs lisat.If
    there remove.
    Once all done clean registry as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    Magnusfarce wrote:
    > I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
    > sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
    > devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
    > the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
    > on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
    > nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
    > setup. How else can I do this?
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    Did you move the jumper to turn off the sound chip? There is one jumper
    to turn off the on-board modem, and one jumper for the sound... two
    little jumpers next to each other, near the modem, or the sound chip!

    Magnusfarce wrote:
    > I rebuilt an existing computer and added, among other things, an inexpensive
    > sound card to replace the on-board sound chip. Driver installs for the new
    > devices, including the sound card, went smoothly, but now I can't get rid of
    > the "New Device Detected" window at startup. The system is detecting the
    > on-board sound chip, I can't find a way to disable it in the setup because
    > nothing shows up under "integrated peripherals" or anywhere else within the
    > setup. How else can I do this?
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    jumper on the motherboard? What board are you using?

    Cheers,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    Sorry, nothing there.

    I guess I wasn't clear earlier. I've been through the setup menus at least
    ten times now, and there's nothing there.

    - Magnusfarce

    Thanks. See my reply to Spodosaurus's post.

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce wrote:
    > Thanks fellas. This is an MSI MS-6340M motherboard with a Via chipset.
    > This is a several year-old board running with an Athlon processor at 900
    > mhz. The BIOS is AmMegatrends 62710.
    >
    > The integrated sound chip is an Creative CT5880 chip (by inspection of the
    > board). The on-line help at MSI has very little on this "legacy" board. I
    > was able to download a manual, but the printed BIOS setup section shows
    > setup menus that include the integrated audio, but the actual computer BIOS
    > doesn't. I know that a BIOS upgrade might change that, but with the limited
    > support available at MSI for this board, I'm not sure it would be worth the
    > effort.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is any other approach to fixing this. I'll live with
    > it if I have to (actually, my brother will; its his computer).
    >
    > - Magnusfarce
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    I had a look at chapter 2 of the manual, and right at the end of the
    chapter there's a jumper on the board (J8) in the bottom back corner to
    turn off the soft audio. You need the jumper to be on pins 2-3 (disable)
    rather than 1-2 (enable). Pins 2-3 are toward the 'front' of the board
    (front being where the case wires connect).

    HTH,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Thanks, great idea, but, get this, no jumper switch. Section 2.26 in the
    manual, right there next to the audio chip (which ID's properly) and not far
    from the motherboard ID. Nothin' there, nobody home. According to the
    drawing in the manual, everything else matches up perfectly. Must be some
    subtle variation on the typical board. Go figure.

    - Magnusfarce
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Magnusfarce wrote:
    > Thanks, great idea, but, get this, no jumper switch. Section 2.26 in the
    > manual, right there next to the audio chip (which ID's properly) and not far
    > from the motherboard ID. Nothin' there, nobody home. According to the
    > drawing in the manual, everything else matches up perfectly. Must be some
    > subtle variation on the typical board. Go figure.
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    Is there a J8 elsewhere on the board?

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

Homebuilt Chip Devices Sound Cards Systems