DDR memory question

I'm putting together a new computer and have a question about memory for
the MSI K8N Neo Platinum board I've chosen.

Do the PC3200 DDR SDRAM modules have to be installed in pairs? I would
prefer to buy 1 512MB stick now and then another later if that works.

thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about memory question

    "Max" <not@home.invalid> wrote in message
    > I'm putting together a new computer and have a question about memory for
    > the MSI K8N Neo Platinum board I've chosen.
    >
    > Do the PC3200 DDR SDRAM modules have to be installed in pairs? I would
    > prefer to buy 1 512MB stick now and then another later if that works.
    >
    > thanks!

    That will work fine. You can install one at a time. -Dave

    > I'm putting together a new computer and have a question about memory for
    > the MSI K8N Neo Platinum board I've chosen.
    >
    > Do the PC3200 DDR SDRAM modules have to be installed in pairs? I would
    > prefer to buy 1 512MB stick now and then another later if that works.
    >
    > thanks!

    DDR is self-contained within each stick of DDR RAM. You might be confusing
    it with "dual-channel", in which you have 2 channels on the mobo for RAM,
    and you put some in each channel. But you definitely don't have to install
    in pairs.

    David wrote:
    >DDR is self-contained within each stick of DDR RAM. You might be confusing
    >it with "dual-channel", in which you have 2 channels on the mobo for RAM,
    >and you put some in each channel. But you definitely don't have to install
    >in pairs.

    Thanks gentlemen. I just ordered everything and am excited
    to get all my parts from Newegg and put this thing together.

    "Max" <not@home.invalid> wrote in message

    " Do the PC3200 DDR SDRAM modules have to be installed in pairs? "

    They don't need to be installed in pairs.

    If you want to use the dual channel memory function on the motherboard with
    your DDR, you need to buy two MATCHED IDENTICAL sticks of RAM.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW wrote:

    > If you want to use the dual channel memory function on the motherboard with
    > your DDR, you need to buy two MATCHED IDENTICAL sticks of RAM.

    Another gem of misinformation.

Homebuilt DDR Memory Systems