shcreatethreadref error

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2004 2:54:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, comp.windows.misc, alt.windows-xp, alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

When I boot into Windows XP Pro with SP2, I get an error could not load
the shcreatethreadref at SLHWAPI.dll or something similar. The desktop
never appears. What should I do? I'm not sure how to go back to a
restore point. Last Known Config takes me to the same error, as do all
the other F8 modes (even Safe Mode).
- JB
please reply to jbrandonbb@hotmailremove.com
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2004 3:01:10 PM

jbrandonbb@hotmail.com wrote:
> When I boot into Windows XP Pro with SP2, I get an error could not
> load the shcreatethreadref at SLHWAPI.dll or something similar. The
> desktop never appears. What should I do? I'm not sure how to go back
> to a restore point. Last Known Config takes me to the same error, as
> do all the other F8 modes (even Safe Mode).

Clean install.

> - JB
> please reply to jbrandonbb@hotmailremove.com

No way.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 6:07:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.windows.misc,alt.windows-xp,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

jbrandonbb@hotmail.com wrote:

> When I boot into Windows XP Pro with SP2, I get an error could not load
> the shcreatethreadref at SLHWAPI.dll or something similar. The desktop
> never appears. What should I do? I'm not sure how to go back to a
> restore point. Last Known Config takes me to the same error, as do all
> the other F8 modes (even Safe Mode).
> - JB
> please reply to jbrandonbb@hotmailremove.com

You sure that DLL isn't Shlwapi.dll?

Boot into safe mode and when it finishes with 'no desktop':

Press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] to open Task Manager.

Select File | New Task (Run).

Type cmd and press [Enter] to open the command prompt.

Change to the %SystemRoot% folder.

Type ren Shlwapi.dll Shlwapi.old.

Reboot.

The problem can occur when 'old' DLL files somehow get left in the
%SystemRoot% folder and prevent Windows Explorer from running. And without
Windows Explorer the desktop won't come up.

Renaming it should let explorer run.

Other 'old' DLLs that can cause this problem include:

Browseui.dll
Comctl32.dll
Comdlg32.dll
Mlang.dll