Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 14, 2004 3:55:05 PM

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 4:49:36 AM

> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want
to clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the
boot drive) to your new drive, which you want to install as C,
right? So you can boot up Windows XP, right?

Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it
won't be set up to boot as C, will it? It will be booting from the
boot loader in the boot partition on your C drive, with Windows
98. Unless I'm even more confused than I think. ??? So when you
clone the original D drive (W XP) to your new, empty C drive, no
wonder it won't boot.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 5:07:22 AM

jimbo wrote:

> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
> appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Hmm. I can't be sure because I can't see your registry but I suspect it's
because of how Windows XP serializes the drives and the new drive isn't
what it thinks should be the system drive (actually, it isn't 'anything'
when it first boots because it hasn't been identified and serialized yet,
but it may be by now, to whatever XP thought it should be).

On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
and which is the 'D' (or whatever).

What did XP call the two OLD drives? You say 'C' and 'D' but which was
which in Windows 98 and Windows XP. Did they both call each one by the same
letter?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 5:33:03 AM

Al Smith wrote:

>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then
>> I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it
>> fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error
>> message appears and the system reboots.
>>
>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>> jimbo
>

> Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want to
> clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the boot drive)
> to your new drive, which you want to install as C, right? So you can
> boot up Windows XP, right?
>
> Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it won't be
> set up to boot as C, will it? It will be booting from the boot loader in
> the boot partition on your C drive, with Windows 98. Unless I'm even
> more confused than I think. ??? So when you clone the original D drive
> (W XP) to your new, empty C drive, no wonder it won't boot.

If I read it right he's copying the old slave to the new drive and then
putting the new drive in as slave, replacing the old one, with the new
drive's temporary life as 'master' only for the copy process. The 'idea' is
ok but I'm not so sure the implementation of it is 'ok'.

Bad form to call them C and D, though, because that assumes how XP assigned
the letters and it isn't the same as Win9x. Plus, once serialized, XP knows
which one is which even if you move them to different IDE locations.

That can be a real 'gotcha' if you intend to clone an old drive to a new
one and still use the old one as a second, storage, drive. One might think
you could simply move the old drive to slave (gonna be 'D', you THINK),
install new drive as master (gonna be 'D', you THINK), clone old to new,
and boot 'er up on the new 'C' (you THINK) drive. However, if you DO it
that way it'll boot from the master BUT as soon as XP awakens it'll assign
the new drive to 'D' (or some other letter, depending on configuration)
because 'C' is still there (IDE slave notwithstanding) and merrily finish
OLD DRIVE IS still C even though its the slave and you THINK its 'D'.

You need to REMOVE the old drive so that, when XP discovers the new one,
'C' is unused and XP can assign 'C' to the new drive.

I suspect there's some 'drive letter' confusion in his cloned copy but I
can't quite place my finger on it.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 5:33:08 AM

> Is this correct when XP is the os on the C drive with no other OS in the
> system:
>
> 1. make the C drive a slave on channel 1
> 2. put the new drive in as a master on channel 1
> 3. run ghost from floppies
> 4. clone from slave to master
> 5. reboot

That's the way I do it, although I've never used Ghost
specifically. I use other software. Seems to work.
October 15, 2004 12:27:29 PM

jimbo wrote:
> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
> appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
conservative way to try XP without one big leap.

Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.

Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

Thanks, jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 5:49:02 PM

"jimbo" <jimbo62@nospam.net> wrote in message
> jimbo wrote:
>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning
>> a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and
>> connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master"
>> the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies
>> and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
>> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
>> appears and the system reboots.
>>
>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>> jimbo
>
> Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
> the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a Win98
> system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a conservative way
> to try XP without one big leap.
>
> Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
> new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
> everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
> WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No such
> luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?
>
> Thanks, jimbo

Jimbo:
From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
cloning operation. I take it you rec'd no error msgs. from Ghost during or
immediately following the cloning of your drive. And if I recall correctly,
you previously stated that after replacing the old drive with the
newly-cloned one, you were able to access that drive after booting up with
your C: drive (the Win98 OS) with both drives connected. And from what you
determined after perusing the data on your newly-cloned D: drive (the XP
OS), it seemed to you that the contents on the old drive had been
successfully cloned to the new one. Do I have this right so far?

1. Did you try to repeat the cloning operation just on the off-chance that
the first clone did not "take"?

2. When you boot, do you get the multi-boot menu so that you can choose
which of the two operating systems to boot to?

3. Assuming you do, you mention that you get the BSOD with an error message
when you attempt to boot into your XP OS. What is the specific error
message?

4. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini file that resides in the C:\
directory?

Art
October 15, 2004 5:49:03 PM

Art wrote:

> Jimbo:
> From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
> cloning operation. I take it you rec'd no error msgs. from Ghost during or
> immediately following the cloning of your drive. And if I recall correctly,
> you previously stated that after replacing the old drive with the
> newly-cloned one, you were able to access that drive after booting up with
> your C: drive (the Win98 OS) with both drives connected. And from what you
> determined after perusing the data on your newly-cloned D: drive (the XP
> OS), it seemed to you that the contents on the old drive had been
> successfully cloned to the new one. Do I have this right so far?

Actually, my first attempt was with an external USB enclosure in which I
had installed the new hard drive. My second attempt was with swaping of
cables, etc. in the main computer case.

> 1. Did you try to repeat the cloning operation just on the off-chance that
> the first clone did not "take"?

I am in the process of making an image of "D" now. It is being saved to
a file on the new hard drive which is installed in a USB external
enclosure. My first attempt was to clone "D" to the new hard drive which
was installed in the same USB external enclosure.

> 2. When you boot, do you get the multi-boot menu so that you can choose
> which of the two operating systems to boot to?

Yes, the boot menu would come up and if I selected Win98, it would boot
OK, but if I selected WinXP, it would give the blue screen with some
message that went by too fast to read. I did use the option to not
reboot on error and read the screen. I don't remember the details now.

> 3. Assuming you do, you mention that you get the BSOD with an error message
> when you attempt to boot into your XP OS. What is the specific error
> message?
>
> 4. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini file that resides in the C:\
> directory?

I can't get to the boot.ini file at the moment. But it was just a
vanilla dual boot .ini file.

> Art

Thanks again for the reply. I will post again when I finish this
current attempt.

jimbo
October 15, 2004 6:54:24 PM

jimbo wrote:
> Art wrote:
>
>> Jimbo:
>> From your description, it would seem that you correctly performed the
>> cloning operation. I take it you rec'd no error msgs. from Ghost
>> during or immediately following the cloning of your drive. And if I
>> recall correctly, you previously stated that after replacing the old
>> drive with the newly-cloned one, you were able to access that drive
>> after booting up with your C: drive (the Win98 OS) with both drives
>> connected. And from what you determined after perusing the data on
>> your newly-cloned D: drive (the XP OS), it seemed to you that the
>> contents on the old drive had been successfully cloned to the new one.
>> Do I have this right so far?
>

> Actually, my first attempt was with an external USB enclosure in which I
> had installed the new hard drive. My second attempt was with swaping of
> cables, etc. in the main computer case.
>

>> 1. Did you try to repeat the cloning operation just on the off-chance
>> that the first clone did not "take"?
>

> I am in the process of making an image of "D" now. It is being saved to
> a file on the new hard drive which is installed in a USB external
> enclosure. My first attempt was to clone "D" to the new hard drive which
> was installed in the same USB external enclosure.
>

>> 2. When you boot, do you get the multi-boot menu so that you can
>> choose which of the two operating systems to boot to?
>

> Yes, the boot menu would come up and if I selected Win98, it would boot
> OK, but if I selected WinXP, it would give the blue screen with some
> message that went by too fast to read. I did use the option to not
> reboot on error and read the screen. I don't remember the details now.
>

>> 3. Assuming you do, you mention that you get the BSOD with an error
>> message when you attempt to boot into your XP OS. What is the specific
>> error message?
>>
>> 4. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini file that resides in
>> the C:\ directory?
>

> I can't get to the boot.ini file at the moment. But it was just a
> vanilla dual boot .ini file.
>

>> Art
>>
> Thanks again for the reply. I will post again when I finish this
> current attempt.
>
> jimbo

Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk checks,
all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens again.

And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a warning
message about another OS being there and that it is a bad idea to
install two OSs on the same partition.

It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.

Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
C:\="Windows 98"

And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
fails to boot.

jimbo
October 15, 2004 8:15:24 PM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:

> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
> WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
> drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
> Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
> hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
> drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
> drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
> changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
> disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
> when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
> screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into install
mode and then repair the installed XP.

When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a
clone of the drive.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 8:22:18 PM

> If I read it right he's copying the old slave to the new drive and then putting the new drive in as slave, replacing the old one, with the new drive's temporary life as 'master' only for the copy process. The 'idea' is ok but I'm not so sure the implementation of it is 'ok'.
>
> Bad form to call them C and D, though, because that assumes how XP assigned the letters and it isn't the same as Win9x. Plus, once serialized, XP knows which one is which even if you move them to different IDE locations.

[snip]

Even more confusing than I thought.
October 15, 2004 9:18:34 PM

In article <10mvr2vfcjuob0c@corp.supernews.com>, jimbo62@nospam.net
says...
> jimbo wrote:
> > I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
> > with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
> > physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
> > cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
> > and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
> > "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
> > floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
> > disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
> > reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
> > connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
> > just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
> > appears and the system reboots.
> >
> > Any insight will be appreciated.
> >
> > jimbo
>
> Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
> the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
> Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
> conservative way to try XP without one big leap.

So do you get the dual boot menu when the computer first starts with the
new drive D attached?

> Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
> new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
> everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
> WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
> such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

Not sure why it shouldn't have worked, unless the cloning didn't work
correctly. All files from D should be getting accessed as usual when
you boot to D.

Before you decided to copy to your new D drive what did you use to
partition and format it, and make it 'active'?
--
Pete Ives
October 15, 2004 9:18:35 PM

Peter wrote:
> In article <10mvr2vfcjuob0c@corp.supernews.com>, jimbo62@nospam.net
> says...
>
>>jimbo wrote:
>>
>>>I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>>>with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>>>physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>>>cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>>>and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>>>"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>>>floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>>>disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>>>reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>>>connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
>>>just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
>>>appears and the system reboots.
>>>
>>>Any insight will be appreciated.
>>>
>>>jimbo
>>
>>Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
>>the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
>>Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
>>conservative way to try XP without one big leap.
>>

> So do you get the dual boot menu when the computer first starts with the
> new drive D attached?
>

>>Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
>>new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
>>everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
>>WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
>>such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.
>>
>>Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?
>>

> Not sure why it shouldn't have worked, unless the cloning didn't work
> correctly. All files from D should be getting accessed as usual when
> you boot to D.
>
> Before you decided to copy to your new D drive what did you use to
> partition and format it, and make it 'active'?

Thanks for the replies. Here is the latest. Somehow in all of the HD
swaping, cloning, etc. the "C" master drive became un-bootable.
Horrors! Now nothing worked! Anyway, after much hair pulling, use of
Partition Magic, etc. I now have the system back as it was before all
of this started.

Physical drive 1, master, "C", Win98. Physical drive 2, slave, "D",
WinXP. Dual boot works as before. There is not enough space on "C" for
an image of "D" and 33 GB is just too much to put on CD/DVD.

So, how should I proceed on my quest to replace the "D" drive with
new, larger drive without the need to re-install all of the applications?

Thanks, jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 10:08:54 PM

jimbo wrote:

>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
>> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
>> appears and the system reboots.

>> Any insight will be appreciated.

>Thanks for the replies. Here is some clarification. Yes, I had Win98 on
>the master HD. WinXP was on the slave HD. The reason is that I had a
>Win98 system and then decided to try WinXP. Dual boot seemed a
>conservative way to try XP without one big leap.

>Anyway, my WinXP drive is getting full and I wanted to replace it with a
>new, larger drive. And I didn't want to lose data or have to reinstall
>everything. So, I thought I could clone a new slave HD from the existing
>WinXP HD, swap it for the old, small WinXP HD and be in business. No
>such luck. The drive letter issue may be the problem.

>Is there a way to accomplish wat I want?

An intriguing problem! I'd keep the original setup and make a compressed
image of D on C if you have the space, or to CDs or DVDs. Then I'd replace
the old slave HDD with the new one and restore the image to that. The key,
I think, is to have C connected throughout the operation.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2004 11:27:04 PM

Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
old drive and set up everything as you had it before.
October 15, 2004 11:27:05 PM

S.B. wrote:

> Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
> your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
> connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
> old drive and set up everything as you had it before.

I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master, but leave
it on the middle cable connector. If that works, put the new drive on
the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

I must be missing something?

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 12:44:17 AM

jimbo wrote:

>S.B. wrote:

>> Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
>> your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
>> connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
>> old drive and set up everything as you had it before.

>I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
>the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master, but leave
>it on the middle cable connector. If that works, put the new drive on
>the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

>I must be missing something?

You have two (or more) IDE connectors on your motherboard.
1. Disconnect everything from those connectors.
2. Connect C as master to the end of a cable and plug it into IDE 1.
3. Jumper D as master and your new drive as slave.
4. Connect D to the end of a second cable, the new drive to its middle
connector, and plug it into IDE 2.
5. Clone D to the new drive.
6. Remove D and set everything as you had it before.

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.
October 16, 2004 12:44:18 AM

S.B. wrote:

> jimbo wrote:
>

>>S.B. wrote:
>

>>>Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
>>>your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and XP,
>>>connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it. Disconnect the
>>>old drive and set up everything as you had it before.
>

>>I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
>>the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master, but leave
>>it on the middle cable connector. If that works, put the new drive on
>>the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?
>

>>I must be missing something?
>

> You have two (or more) IDE connectors on your motherboard.
> 1. Disconnect everything from those connectors.
> 2. Connect C as master to the end of a cable and plug it into IDE 1.
> 3. Jumper D as master and your new drive as slave.
> 4. Connect D to the end of a second cable, the new drive to its middle
> connector, and plug it into IDE 2.
> 5. Clone D to the new drive.
> 6. Remove D and set everything as you had it before.
>
> I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Wouldn't boot. Doesn't find the master on IDE 1. But it does find both
drives on IDE 2 but neither will boot, so no way to clone or even get
to an OS.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 2:10:03 AM

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning
>> a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and
>> connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master"
>> the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies
>> and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
>> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
>> appears and the system reboots.
>>
>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>> jimbo
>
> Hmm. I can't be sure because I can't see your registry but I suspect it's
> because of how Windows XP serializes the drives and the new drive isn't
> what it thinks should be the system drive (actually, it isn't 'anything'
> when it first boots because it hasn't been identified and serialized yet,
> but it may be by now, to whatever XP thought it should be).

I've cloned many a drive with Ghost and haven't run across this
problem--using IDE, SATA, and Firewire--as XP should pick it up readily,
even though the drive letter may be different. This can be easily changed.

> On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
> is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
> remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
> problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
> it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
> wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
> and which is the 'D' (or whatever).

I've restored C: (boot) drives on numerous occasions and have never had a
problem booting from the newly created drive.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 2:48:21 AM

jimbo wrote:
> Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the new
> drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to boot to
> WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying the drive
> needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk checks, all of
> which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens again.
>
> And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and has
> "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt which
> doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option, only a new
> installation and if I start that option, it gives a warning message
> about another OS being there and that it is a bad idea to install two
> OSs on the same partition.
>
> It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.
>
> Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
> C:\="Windows 98"
>
> And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
> fails to boot.
>
> jimbo

So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to suspect
that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the BIOS has the disk
configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does Ghost have an option to
verify the contents of the cloned drive? If it does I would use it to see if it
checks out. If you have Partition Magic, you can use it to check the new drive.
It should be able to detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
October 16, 2004 2:48:22 AM

Ed Coolidge wrote:
> jimbo wrote:
>
>> Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
>> new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
>> boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
>> the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk checks,
>> all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens again.
>>
>> And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
>> has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
>> which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
>> only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a warning
>> message about another OS being there and that it is a bad idea to
>> install two OSs on the same partition.
>>
>> It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.
>>
>> Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=10
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
>> C:\="Windows 98"
>>
>> And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
>> fails to boot.
>>
>> jimbo
>

> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the
> BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does
> Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned drive? If it
> does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you have Partition
> Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It should be able to
> detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.

Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
on it.

Suggestions?

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 2:59:28 AM

Bob Davis wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>

>>>I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>>>with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>>>physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning
>>>a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and
>>>connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master"
>>>the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies
>>>and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>>>disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>>>reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>>>connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
>>>just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
>>>appears and the system reboots.
>>>
>>>Any insight will be appreciated.
>>>
>>>jimbo
>>
>>Hmm. I can't be sure because I can't see your registry but I suspect it's
>>because of how Windows XP serializes the drives and the new drive isn't
>>what it thinks should be the system drive (actually, it isn't 'anything'
>>when it first boots because it hasn't been identified and serialized yet,
>>but it may be by now, to whatever XP thought it should be).
>

> I've cloned many a drive with Ghost and haven't run across this
> problem--using IDE, SATA, and Firewire--as XP should pick it up readily,
> even though the drive letter may be different.

Pick up what?

> This can be easily changed.

Changing it doesn't fix anything.

I don't think you're talking about the same situation. I'm talking about
both drives having the installation on them, the new cloned one and the old
one still intact, and both operating.

It'll boot from the new drive but it'll end up still using the old one as
the sysroot drive because it's still C, regardless of having been 'moved'
to the IDE slave, and everything in windows tells it to use C.

>>On a single drive system it would normally figure out that the 'new' drive
>>is the 'new' C (if one removes the old one completely, else the OLD one
>>remains C and the new one gets a new letter, which causes all sorts of
>>problems) but with an existing drive as your boot drive I'm not sure how
>>it's resolving the new drive's letter, and that's what I suspect is going
>>wrong. Somehow it's getting confused as to which should be the 'C' drive
>>and which is the 'D' (or whatever).
>

> I've restored C: (boot) drives on numerous occasions and have never had a
> problem booting from the newly created drive.

I've restored many a drive too, with no problems.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 4:39:33 AM

jimbo wrote:

> Ed Coolidge wrote:
>
>> jimbo wrote:
>>
>>> Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
>>> new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
>>> boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
>>> the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk
>>> checks, all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens
>>> again.
>>>
>>> And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
>>> has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
>>> which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
>>> only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a
>>> warning message about another OS being there and that it is a bad
>>> idea to install two OSs on the same partition.
>>>
>>> It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.
>>>
>>> Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.
>>>
>>> [boot loader]
>>> timeout=10
>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>>> [operating systems]
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
>>> C:\="Windows 98"
>>>
>>> And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
>>> fails to boot.
>>>
>>> jimbo
>>

>> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
>> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the
>> BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does
>> Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned drive? If
>> it does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you have Partition
>> Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It should be able to
>> detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
>

> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems. But
> interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic, it
> reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works perfectly
> with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device Manager as
> working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP installation, etc,
> etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks there is something wrong
> with it and does not even show any partitions on it.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> jimbo

Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for now,

I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned it. I'm
not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to know if you've
had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the interface, with your
existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then it's been 'installed' by
XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive letter; which will be
faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a clone so it will not be a
'new' drive when booting from that clone but will be whatever letter it was
assigned, so it won't be assigned the missing 'system drive' letter.

First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which letter the
two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98 boot drive is c? So
XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is it's system drive? I.E. the
XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?

Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the same
order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And the
easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the primary IDE
port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.

Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.

Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with a
Ghost FLOPPY.

Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the win98
master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers that it
detects the drives in the original order).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 9:34:10 AM

I did the same thing successfully about 6 months ago, Did it again 2
months ago and had the same problem you had. Have no idea what I did
differently.

I posted to this group and someone suggested it might be a Volume
label problem but you said you cloned to a new drive which shouldn't
have had that problem.

I had planned on trying again but I will wait to see if someone comes
up with a solution

>Ed Coolidge wrote:
>> jimbo wrote:
>>
>>> Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
>>> new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
>>> boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
>>> the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk checks,
>>> all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens again.
>>>
>>> And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
>>> has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
>>> which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
>>> only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a warning
>>> message about another OS being there and that it is a bad idea to
>>> install two OSs on the same partition.
>>>
>>> It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.
>>>
>>> Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.
>>>
>>> [boot loader]
>>> timeout=10
>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>>> [operating systems]
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
>>> C:\="Windows 98"
>>>
>>> And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
>>> fails to boot.
>>>
>>> jimbo
>>

>> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
>> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the
>> BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does
>> Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned drive? If it
>> does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you have Partition
>> Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It should be able to
>> detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
>
>Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
>But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
>it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
>perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
>Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
>installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
>there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
>on it.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>jimbo
October 16, 2004 10:42:13 AM

jaster wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:
>

>>I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
>>WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
>>drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
>>Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
>>hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
>>drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
>>drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
>>changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
>>disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
>>when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
>>screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.
>>
>>Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>>jimbo
>

> I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
> the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
> booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
> doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into install
> mode and then repair the installed XP.
>
> When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a
> clone of the drive.

Did that. Fixboot does not fix the proglem. And Install does not give
an option to repair, only to do a new install. So, for some reason,
the Ghost clone is not being recognized as a WinXP installation,
although it is being recognized as a Windows installation of some kind.

jimbo
October 16, 2004 10:48:37 AM

David Maynard wrote:

> jimbo wrote:
>
>> Ed Coolidge wrote:

>>> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
>>> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or
>>> the BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but
>>> does Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned
>>> drive? If it does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you
>>> have Partition Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It
>>> should be able to detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
>>

>> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
>> But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
>> it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
>> perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
>> Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
>> installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
>> there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
>> on it.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> jimbo
>

> Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for now,
>
> I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned it.
> I'm not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to know if
> you've had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the interface,
> with your existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then it's been
> 'installed' by XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive letter;
> which will be faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a clone so
> it will not be a 'new' drive when booting from that clone but will be
> whatever letter it was assigned, so it won't be assigned the missing
> 'system drive' letter.
>
> First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which letter
> the two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98 boot drive
> is c? So XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is it's system
> drive? I.E. the XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?
>
> Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the
> same order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And
> the easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the primary
> IDE port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.
>
> Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.
>
> Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with a
> Ghost FLOPPY.
>
> Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the
> win98 master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers that
> it detects the drives in the original order).

Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the
HD jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
ribbon cable.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day,
so I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some
more work on this problem.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 1:17:13 PM

jimbo wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> jimbo wrote:

>>> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
>>> But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
>>> it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
>>> perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
>>> Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
>>> installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
>>> there is something wrong with it and does not even show any
>>> partitions on it.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> jimbo
>>

>> Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for
>> now,
>>
>> I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned
>> it. I'm not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to
>> know if you've had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the
>> interface, with your existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then
>> it's been 'installed' by XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive
>> letter; which will be faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a
>> clone so it will not be a 'new' drive when booting from that clone but
>> will be whatever letter it was assigned, so it won't be assigned the
>> missing 'system drive' letter.
>>
>> First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which
>> letter the two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98
>> boot drive is c? So XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is
>> it's system drive? I.E. the XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?
>>
>> Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the
>> same order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And
>> the easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the
>> primary IDE port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.
>>
>> Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.
>>
>> Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with
>> a Ghost FLOPPY.
>>
>> Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the
>> win98 master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers
>> that it detects the drives in the original order).
>>

> Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the HD
> jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
> partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
> ribbon cable.

I'm apparently not being clear. "C" and "D" are letters that Windows
assigns and the two flavors of Windows don't so it the same way. So, when
you simply say "C" and "D" I am not sure which O.S. you're talking about.

It is specifically whether they both have them assigned the same, or
different, drive letters that I'm trying to get confirmed.

But I think the bigger issue right now is whether the new drive was
installed into XP before you did the clone, though, and get the GUID
cleaned off of it.

Btw, fixboot doesn't remove the GUID. fdisk /mbr does.

> Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day, so
> I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some more
> work on this problem.

Okedoke.

> jimbo
October 16, 2004 5:40:13 PM

In article <pan.2004.10.15.16.20.20.441777@home.net>, jaster@home.net
says...
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:
>
> > I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
> > WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
> > drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
> > Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
> > hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
> > drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
> > drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
> > changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
> > disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
> > when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
> > screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.
> >
> > Any insight will be appreciated.
> >
> > jimbo
>
> I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
> the old D drive not the new drive.

Why wouldn't that 'boot image' not be looking for the new D drive.
Surely there should be no difference between the old and new drive,
unless, that is, Norton Ghost doesn't create an 'exact' copy (sector for
sector) of the original D drive. Haven't used NG so don't know how it
works exactly.
--
Pete Ives
a b B Homebuilt system

Peter wrote:

> In article <pan.2004.10.15.16.20.20.441777@home.net>, jaster@home.net
> says...
>
>>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:
>>

>>>I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
>>>WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
>>>drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
>>>Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
>>>hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
>>>drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
>>>drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
>>>changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
>>>disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
>>>when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
>>>screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.
>>>
>>>Any insight will be appreciated.
>>>
>>>jimbo
>>
>>I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
>>the old D drive not the new drive.
>>

> Why wouldn't that 'boot image' not be looking for the new D drive.

What makes you think the new drive is 'D'?

> Surely there should be no difference between the old and new drive,
> unless, that is, Norton Ghost doesn't create an 'exact' copy (sector for
> sector) of the original D drive. Haven't used NG so don't know how it
> works exactly.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 6:30:47 PM

Al Smith wrote:
>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then
>> I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it
>> fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error
>> message appears and the system reboots.
>>
>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>> jimbo
>

> Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want to
> clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the boot drive)
> to your new drive, which you want to install as C, right? So you can
> boot up Windows XP, right?

No, he wants the new larger drive to be D drive with XP on it. Why he's
removing C: drive to do this, I don't know. I would have tried:

1. Leave both drives as they are.
2. Connect the new drive, disconnecting any cdroms as necessary.
3. Ghost D: to the new drive.
4. Swap the new drive with the old D: drive.
5. try booting from there.

> Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it won't be
> set up to boot as C, will it?

No, he still wants win98 to be the c drive. That's why he resintalled
the c drive.

> It will be booting from the boot loader in
> the boot partition on your C drive, with Windows 98. Unless I'm even
> more confused than I think. ??? So when you clone the original D drive
> (W XP) to your new, empty C drive, no wonder it won't boot.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 6:30:48 PM

spodosaurus wrote:

> Al Smith wrote:
>
>>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>>> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from
>>> "C" and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper
>>> to "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted
>>> from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK.
>>> Then I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave".
>>> Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive
>>> and connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP
>>> it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an
>>> error message appears and the system reboots.
>>>
>>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> jimbo
>>

>> Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want to
>> clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the boot
>> drive) to your new drive, which you want to install as C, right? So
>> you can boot up Windows XP, right?
>

> No, he wants the new larger drive to be D drive with XP on it. Why he's
> removing C: drive to do this, I don't know.

For the same reason you say "disconnecting any cdroms as necessary." It was
just the place he picked to temporarily put the new drive that also leaves
the old 'D' in the system to clone from.

Doesn't matter if you unplug a CD or hard drive to do it, just as long as D
is still there to clone from.

> I would have tried:
>
> 1. Leave both drives as they are.
> 2. Connect the new drive, disconnecting any cdroms as necessary.
> 3. Ghost D: to the new drive.
> 4. Swap the new drive with the old D: drive.
> 5. try booting from there.
>

>> Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it won't be
>> set up to boot as C, will it?
>

> No, he still wants win98 to be the c drive. That's why he resintalled
> the c drive.
>
>> It will be booting from the boot loader in the boot partition on your
>> C drive, with Windows 98. Unless I'm even more confused than I think.
>> ??? So when you clone the original D drive (W XP) to your new, empty C
>> drive, no wonder it won't boot.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 6:35:42 PM

jimbo wrote:
> S.B. wrote:
>
>> Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
>> your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and
>> XP, connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it.
>> Disconnect the old drive and set up everything as you had it before.
>

> I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
> the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master,

NO! Leave both hard drives as they are. Then physically install the new
hard drive. S.B. is assuming that you have 2 cdroms or some such in that
computer, which is why he's telling you to disconnect those so you can
have all three hard disks installed at the same time. Then clone D: to
the new drive.

> but leave
> it on the middle cable connector.

NO! Leave the hard drives that are already in there ALONE!

> If that works, put the new drive on
> the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

Aren't you trying to clone D: and then replace it with the cloned
copy???????????????? After you clone it, replace it.

> I must be missing something?
>
> jimbo

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 6:37:33 PM

jimbo wrote:
> Ed Coolidge wrote:
>
>> jimbo wrote:
>>
>>> Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
>>> new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
>>> boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
>>> the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk
>>> checks, all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens
>>> again.
>>>
>>> And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
>>> has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
>>> which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
>>> only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a
>>> warning message about another OS being there and that it is a bad
>>> idea to install two OSs on the same partition.
>>>
>>> It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.
>>>
>>> Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.
>>>
>>> [boot loader]
>>> timeout=10
>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>>> [operating systems]
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
>>> C:\="Windows 98"
>>>
>>> And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
>>> fails to boot.
>>>
>>> jimbo
>>

>> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
>> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the
>> BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does
>> Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned drive? If
>> it does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you have Partition
>> Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It should be able to
>> detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
>

> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems. But
> interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic, it
> reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works perfectly
> with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device Manager as
> working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP installation, etc,
> etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks there is something wrong
> with it and does not even show any partitions on it.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> jimbo

Why are you playing around with a partitioning program? After you ghost
something properly, there's no need to play with partitioning programs:
all the data including the partition table is cloned.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2004 6:37:34 PM

spodosaurus wrote:

> jimbo wrote:
>
>> Ed Coolidge wrote:
>>
>>> So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
>>> suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or
>>> the BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but
>>> does Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned
>>> drive? If it does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you
>>> have Partition Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It
>>> should be able to detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.
>>

>> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
>> But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
>> it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
>> perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
>> Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
>> installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
>> there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
>> on it.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> jimbo
>

> Why are you playing around with a partitioning program? After you ghost
> something properly, there's no need to play with partitioning programs:
> all the data including the partition table is cloned.

If you read the post he replied to you would already know. Its not to change
the partitions, but to verify that they're correct as configuration errors or
disk errors can mess up a clone.
October 16, 2004 8:41:43 PM

David Maynard wrote:
> jimbo wrote:
>
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But,
>>> for now,
>>>
>>> I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned
>>> it. I'm not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to
>>> know if you've had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the
>>> interface, with your existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then
>>> it's been 'installed' by XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a
>>> drive letter; which will be faithfully copied to the new drive when
>>> you do a clone so it will not be a 'new' drive when booting from that
>>> clone but will be whatever letter it was assigned, so it won't be
>>> assigned the missing 'system drive' letter.
>>>
>>> First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which
>>> letter the two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98
>>> boot drive is c? So XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is
>>> it's system drive? I.E. the XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?
>>>
>>> Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the
>>> same order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status.
>>> And the easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the
>>> primary IDE port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.
>>>
>>> Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.
>>>
>>> Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with
>>> a Ghost FLOPPY.
>>>
>>> Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the
>>> win98 master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers
>>> that it detects the drives in the original order).
>>>

>> Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the
>> HD jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
>> partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
>> ribbon cable.
>

> I'm apparently not being clear. "C" and "D" are letters that Windows
> assigns and the two flavors of Windows don't so it the same way. So,
> when you simply say "C" and "D" I am not sure which O.S. you're talking
> about.
>
> It is specifically whether they both have them assigned the same, or
> different, drive letters that I'm trying to get confirmed.
>
> But I think the bigger issue right now is whether the new drive was
> installed into XP before you did the clone, though, and get the GUID
> cleaned off of it.
>
> Btw, fixboot doesn't remove the GUID. fdisk /mbr does.
>

>> Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day,
>> so I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some
>> more work on this problem.
>

> Okedoke.
>

>> jimbo

Well, on XP, "C" partition is Win98 and "D" partition is WinXP. On
Win98, Win98 is on "C" and Win98 can't see the "D" NTFS partition.

jimbo
October 16, 2004 9:15:34 PM

jimbo wrote:
> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
> appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Well, the next thing I will try when I get back to my desktop is to do
the fdisk /mbr from Win98. But I am very concerned about Partition Magic
not seeing any partitions on my WinXP hard drive. And the WinXP
installation CD doesn't see the WinXP installation, so it doesn't offer
an option for a "repair" installation. And another wrinkle, Windows
Explorer sees a third hard drive "G" with 0 byte size and no file
system. I have physical drives "C" 40 GB HD, "D" 40 GB HD, "E" DVD
reader and "F", DVD burner. And then this fanthom "G" drive that doesn't
show up anyplace except in Windows Explorer.

jimbo
October 16, 2004 9:22:01 PM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:42:13 -0700, jimbo wrote:

> jaster wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:
>>

>>>I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>>>with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>>>physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>>>cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>>>and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>>>"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>>>floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
>>>disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>>>reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>>>connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it
>>>fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error
>>>message appears and the system reboots.
>>>
>>>Any insight will be appreciated.
>>>
>>>jimbo
>>

>> I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
>> the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
>> booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
>> doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into
>> install mode and then repair the installed XP.
>>
>> When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a clone
>> of the drive.
>
> Did that. Fixboot does not fix the proglem. And Install does not give an
> option to repair, only to do a new install. So, for some reason, the
> Ghost clone is not being recognized as a WinXP installation, although it
> is being recognized as a Windows installation of some kind.
>
> jimbo

Maybe when you restored the Ghost image to the new drive you set as a
primary partition and not as a logical partition?

When you go through the installation menu you should select install and
you should be presented with another menu asking if you want to install or
repair the existing XP installation.

At this point in your exercise does it make sense to continue the
frustration or is it the learning process? If not learning and you know
the other software and data has been cloned to the new drive, just install
XP on the new drive. The install process "repair installation" is pretty
much the same as a new install of XP anyway except it saves
re-installation of most programs.
October 16, 2004 9:22:02 PM

jaster wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:42:13 -0700, jimbo wrote:
>

>>jaster wrote:

>>>I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
>>>the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
>>>booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
>>>doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into
>>>install mode and then repair the installed XP.
>>>
>>>When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a clone
>>>of the drive.
>>
>>Did that. Fixboot does not fix the proglem. And Install does not give an
>>option to repair, only to do a new install. So, for some reason, the
>>Ghost clone is not being recognized as a WinXP installation, although it
>>is being recognized as a Windows installation of some kind.
>>
>>jimbo
>

> Maybe when you restored the Ghost image to the new drive you set as a
> primary partition and not as a logical partition?
>
> When you go through the installation menu you should select install and
> you should be presented with another menu asking if you want to install or
> repair the existing XP installation.
>
> At this point in your exercise does it make sense to continue the
> frustration or is it the learning process? If not learning and you know
> the other software and data has been cloned to the new drive, just install
> XP on the new drive. The install process "repair installation" is pretty
> much the same as a new install of XP anyway except it saves
> re-installation of most programs.

Well, as I just said, that option is not given to me when I select the
WinXP install option from the first menu. For some reason, the program
is not seeing the WinXP installation. It is seeing something because
if I select istall, it gives a message about it being a bad idea to
install two OSs on the same partition.

jimbo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2004 12:46:09 AM

jimbo wrote:

> jimbo wrote:
>
>> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
>> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
>> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
>> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
>> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
>> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
>> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then
>> I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
>> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
>> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it
>> fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error
>> message appears and the system reboots.
>>
>> Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>> jimbo
>

> Well, the next thing I will try when I get back to my desktop is to do
> the fdisk /mbr from Win98. But I am very concerned about Partition Magic
> not seeing any partitions on my WinXP hard drive. And the WinXP
> installation CD doesn't see the WinXP installation, so it doesn't offer
> an option for a "repair" installation.

I'm not entirely sure how XP determines whether there's a 'valid'
installation on a disk but since you have the boot files on C, then the
rest of the system on D, perhaps it doesn't think it's all there.

Perhaps caused by this mystery partition of yours.

> And another wrinkle, Windows
> Explorer sees a third hard drive "G" with 0 byte size and no file
> system. I have physical drives "C" 40 GB HD, "D" 40 GB HD, "E" DVD
> reader and "F", DVD burner. And then this fanthom "G" drive that doesn't
> show up anyplace except in Windows Explorer.
>
> jimbo

That could be the problem. If the existing D drive has some sort of
'mystery' partition on it then XP could be assigning the drive letters
differently than you expect when the new drive comes up.

Try doing a partition to partition copy, not the 'whole (old) drive'. You
can still tell it to make the new partition fill the new drive so it's one
big partition.

Or do you have one of those CD emulator software packages installed?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2004 3:34:23 AM

> Well, the next thing I will try when I get back to my desktop is to do the
> fdisk /mbr from Win98.

If you do this, pick up the latest version (bundled with ME, I think) from
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm. It handles big drives whereas earlier
versions may not.

When you return, try leaving the HD's in their original positions and remove
a CD-ROM to position the new drive for cloning. I don't see a reason to
swap drive positions around like you've been doing, and setting drives to
"cable select" should eliminate the need to worry about jumpers. That new
drive should clone perfectly and be asfunctional as your original D: drive
is. I've cloned almost every type of drive without problems, but never on a
dual-boot system, which is what has me (and everyone else) perplexed. You
might drop a message to the forum on the Symantec site, but I don't know how
responsive the Symantec techs will be.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2004 4:26:28 AM

I was just curious. What error did Partition Magic give?
Also, have you tried installing the new drive XP with the other two? If so was
the new drive accessible?

jimbo wrote:

> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems. But
> interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic, it
> reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works perfectly
> with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device Manager as
> working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP installation, etc,
> etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks there is something wrong
> with it and does not even show any partitions on it.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> jimbo
October 17, 2004 4:26:29 AM

Ed Coolidge wrote:
> I was just curious. What error did Partition Magic give?
> Also, have you tried installing the new drive XP with the other two? If
> so was the new drive accessible?
>
> jimbo wrote:
>
>> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
>> But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
>> it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
>> perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
>> Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
>> installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
>> there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
>> on it.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> jimbo

Just the word "bad" after the drive 2 header and no partition
information. And yes, Partition Magic can and was used to create an NTFS
partition. When the new drive is placed in the external USB enclosure,
Windows Explorer could see it OK. It just wouldn't boot to WinXP when it
was placed in the old WinXP HD.

jimbo
October 17, 2004 6:46:33 AM

In article <10n28tbtoc6amdc@corp.supernews.com>, dNOTmayn@ev1.net
says...
> Peter wrote:
>
> > In article <pan.2004.10.15.16.20.20.441777@home.net>, jaster@home.net
> > says...

> >>I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
> >>the old D drive not the new drive.
> >>

> > Why wouldn't that 'boot image' not be looking for the new D drive.
>
> What makes you think the new drive is 'D'?

Because it's the only other HD on the system. At least that's how it
works with my setup. I have 2 HD's on the primary IDE and set to cable
select, allowing me to boot from either IDE. When I boot from one the
other becomes drive D and vice versa. Now, perhaps XP can mess things
up when assigning drive letters, but seeing as the original cloning
process was done from boot floppies then I can't see how this could
possibly happen.

--
Pete Ives
a b B Homebuilt system

Peter wrote:
> In article <10n28tbtoc6amdc@corp.supernews.com>, dNOTmayn@ev1.net
> says...
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>

>>>In article <pan.2004.10.15.16.20.20.441777@home.net>, jaster@home.net
>>>says...

>>>Why wouldn't that 'boot image' not be looking for the new D drive.
>>
>>What makes you think the new drive is 'D'?
>>

> Because it's the only other HD on the system.

But it's partitions and logical drives inside of partitions that get
assigned letters, not 'hard drives'.

> At least that's how it
> works with my setup. I have 2 HD's on the primary IDE and set to cable
> select, allowing me to boot from either IDE. When I boot from one the
> other becomes drive D and vice versa.

That would depend on the operating system and how it assigns drive letters.
Windows 98 assigns them as it loads but XP does not. Once XP has installed
the drive, assigned it a GUID and identified the partitions, swapping them
around will make no difference (to the letter assignment, that is), unless
you wipe out the GUID forcing it to redetect them (or edit the registry).

XP's PnP ordering is also different. While not common it isn't unheard of
for XP to call a drive on the secondary IDE port 'C' and a drive on the
primary IDE port 'D', the reverse of what Windows98 would do. (not
applicable in this case as he indicated both were on the primary port, but
it's an example of how Windows98 assumptions don't necessarily apply to XP)

> Now, perhaps XP can mess things
> up when assigning drive letters, but seeing as the original cloning
> process was done from boot floppies then I can't see how this could
> possibly happen.

Under 'normal' circumstances that would probably be a good guess since we
would naturally assume everything else is pretty much 'the same' as when
the old drives were originally installed so we presume the new drive would
replicate a similar detection process. However, since it didn't work there
must be something else going on. And with that knowledge it raises
questions about what else might have happened, or changed. For example,
while he didn't mention doing so, if he installed the new drive, and booted
XP, to 'check it out' before doing the clone then XP is aware of the drive
and subsequent cloning would copy that awareness, and perhaps cause the
drive letters to not get assigned as expected.

Or perhaps there is something odd about the partition information on the
old drives. Something that's, for some unknown reason, changed from when
they were originally installed so that partition letter assignments don't
work the same as the original, before they changed, drives when the new
drive is redetected.
October 17, 2004 6:56:23 AM

In article <10n29lldfpfcmac@corp.supernews.com>, jimbo62@spamex.com
says...
> David Maynard wrote:
>
> > jimbo wrote:

> >> Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems.
> >> But interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic,
> >> it reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works
> >> perfectly with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device
> >> Manager as working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP
> >> installation, etc, etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks
> >> there is something wrong with it and does not even show any partitions
> >> on it.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >>
> >> jimbo
> >

> > Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for now,
> >
> > I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned it.
> > I'm not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to know if
> > you've had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the interface,
> > with your existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then it's been
> > 'installed' by XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive letter;
> > which will be faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a clone so
> > it will not be a 'new' drive when booting from that clone but will be
> > whatever letter it was assigned, so it won't be assigned the missing
> > 'system drive' letter.
> >
> > First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which letter
> > the two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98 boot drive
> > is c? So XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is it's system
> > drive? I.E. the XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?
> >
> > Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the
> > same order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And
> > the easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the primary
> > IDE port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.
> >
> > Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.
> >
> > Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with a
> > Ghost FLOPPY.
> >
> > Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the
> > win98 master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers that
> > it detects the drives in the original order).
> >

> Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the
> HD jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
> partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
> ribbon cable.
>
> Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day,
> so I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some
> more work on this problem.
>
> jimbo

So, how was the new, replacement HD originally partitioned again? I'm
not too familiar with Ghost, but does it also do the partitioning and
create the file system that is to be used?

If I were to clone an NTFS partition to another drive I'd want to make
sure that that drive was already formatted using the NTFS file system.
As a hypothetical question, what would happen if you tried to clone an
NTFS partitioned HD to a FAT32 formatted HD?
--
Pete Ives
a b B Homebuilt system

Peter wrote:

> In article <10n29lldfpfcmac@corp.supernews.com>, jimbo62@spamex.com
> says...
>
>>David Maynard wrote:

>>>Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for now,
>>>
>>>I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned it.
>>>I'm not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to know if
>>>you've had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the interface,
>>>with your existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then it's been
>>>'installed' by XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive letter;
>>>which will be faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a clone so
>>>it will not be a 'new' drive when booting from that clone but will be
>>>whatever letter it was assigned, so it won't be assigned the missing
>>>'system drive' letter.
>>>
>>>First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which letter
>>>the two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98 boot drive
>>>is c? So XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is it's system
>>>drive? I.E. the XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?
>>>
>>>Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the
>>>same order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And
>>>the easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the primary
>>>IDE port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.
>>>
>>>Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.
>>>
>>>Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with a
>>>Ghost FLOPPY.
>>>
>>>Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the
>>>win98 master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers that
>>>it detects the drives in the original order).
>>>

>>Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the
>>HD jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
>>partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
>>ribbon cable.
>>
>>Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day,
>>so I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some
>>more work on this problem.
>>
>>jimbo
>>

> So, how was the new, replacement HD originally partitioned again? I'm
> not too familiar with Ghost, but does it also do the partitioning and
> create the file system that is to be used?

That's what making a clone is all about. You end up with a disk like the
one you cloned.

> If I were to clone an NTFS partition to another drive I'd want to make
> sure that that drive was already formatted using the NTFS file system.
> As a hypothetical question, what would happen if you tried to clone an
> NTFS partitioned HD to a FAT32 formatted HD?

I doesn't matter how, or if, the destination drive is formatted as Ghost is
going to wipe them out if you're doing a disk to disk copy. If it's a
partition to partition copy it'll either replace the existing partition or
create a new one, depending on what you tell it to do.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2004 6:47:35 PM

jimbo wrote:

> Just the word "bad" after the drive 2 header and no partition
> information. And yes, Partition Magic can and was used to create an NTFS
> partition. When the new drive is placed in the external USB enclosure,
> Windows Explorer could see it OK. It just wouldn't boot to WinXP when it
> was placed in the old WinXP HD.
>
> jimbo

No error number? That's odd! It's been awhile since I've used Magic, and it's
been even longer since I've actually seen it give a complaint, but I think that
it still lets you check the drive's configuration for errors. It should be an
option somewhere under the Tools menu. Otherwise, I'll have to use fdisk to
wipe the partitions off the new drive and try again as it should have no
problems examining a blank drive.
October 18, 2004 9:10:47 PM

jimbo wrote:
> I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
> with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
> physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
> cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
> and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
> "master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
> floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I
> disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
> reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
> connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it fails
> just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error message
> appears and the system reboots.
>
> Any insight will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

OK, here is the last chapter. Things got much worse, couldn't boot at
all after an aborted atempt at a repair installation. I finally decided
to punt and do a new installation. I never use Win98, so I decided to
just do a new WinXP install on "C". First, I copied all files on "C" to
the new hard drive. Then I changed all jumpers to cable select and
installed the old "C" drive to the master position, with nothing in
slave position. I used a Win98 boot floppy to delete all partitions,
then created one new partition. The new WinXP installation stalled while
searching for devices. So, I basically gutted my case, one hard drive,
one DVD drive, video card, mouse and keyboard was all that was left.
WinXP installed without a problem.

Then I copied old files to the current WinXP partition and to the new
hard drive which I placed in the slave position. Finally I had a new
WinXP installation on one of my old 40 GB hard drives (master) and all
of the old files from my old "C" and "D" drives on the new 200 GB hard
drive (slave).

Then I reinstalled hardware and software step by step until I am almost
back to where I want to be with a new 200 GB hard drive as slave and an
old 40 GB hard drive as master.

Just a few comments. I think Norton Ghost caused most of my problems. I
also think there was some basic problem with my original installation.
Even though everything appeared to work perfectly, something, somewhere
was not right. And throughout all of the hard drive swapping that I did
while getting all of my files saved on the new hard drive, WinXP always
assigned correct drive letters, etc. No confusion about what drive was
where. So I think my original procedure was OK, just a glitch with Ghost
and the original installation. And with 99% of my programs reinstalled,
the system is much more responsive and seems much faster than before
this ordeal. So, even though it was more work than I wanted the results
are worth the effort.

Thanks to all who help me through this task.

jimbo
October 19, 2004 7:00:49 PM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:10:47 -0700, jimbo wrote:

> [...]
> old 40 GB hard drive as master.
>
> Just a few comments. I think Norton Ghost caused most of my problems. I
> also think there was some basic problem with my original installation.
> Even though everything appeared to work perfectly, something, somewhere
> was not right. And throughout all of the hard drive swapping that I did
> while getting all of my files saved on the new hard drive, WinXP always
> assigned correct drive letters, etc. No confusion about what drive was
> where. So I think my original procedure was OK, just a glitch with Ghost
> and the original installation. And with 99% of my programs reinstalled,
> the system is much more responsive and seems much faster than before
> this ordeal. So, even though it was more work than I wanted the results
> are worth the effort.
>
> Thanks to all who help me through this task.

For what it's worth, maybe the problem with Ghost was you moved the D to
C used the new drive as D for the clone. Maybe you should have added new
drive as E then cloned D to E.

IMHO your final solution is right except I would have made the new drive
the C instead of D since you've removed Win98. I used the vendor utility
to clone drives and it hasn't failed to clone a drive yet.
October 19, 2004 7:00:50 PM

jaster wrote:
> [...]
>>assigned correct drive letters, etc. No confusion about what drive was
>>where. So I think my original procedure was OK, just a glitch with Ghost
>>and the original installation. And with 99% of my programs reinstalled,
>>the system is much more responsive and seems much faster than before
>>this ordeal. So, even though it was more work than I wanted the results
>>are worth the effort.
>>
>>Thanks to all who help me through this task.
>>
>>jimbo
>

> For what it's worth, maybe the problem with Ghost was you moved the D to
> C used the new drive as D for the clone. Maybe you should have added new
> drive as E then cloned D to E.
>
> IMHO your final solution is right except I would have made the new drive
> the C instead of D since you've removed Win98. I used the vendor utility
> to clone drives and it hasn't failed to clone a drive yet.

Well, I made "C" my boot drive for WinXP. The new drive will be used for
data, backups, etc.

In getting to where I am now, I swapped drives several times to get
everything copied, verified, etc. Every time I did a swap, WinXP
recognized the new drive properly and assigned a drive letter
appropriate for it's position. So, I think it doesn't matter where the
drive is when it is cloned, but the final location is important. For
example if I clone a "C" drive, it doesn't matter where it is during the
cloning, but it then must be used in a "C" position. Just my thoughts.

I am going to try the Western Digital utility to copy my "C" drive to my
spare 40 GB hard drive. In theory, I should then be able to swap it out
for my current "C" drive and boot to a system that is the same as I now
boot to.

jimbo
!