Is this a decent setup? TIA

Greetings.

Is the following a decent setup?

Xtech Medium Tower Case
Antec TruePower 430 Watt ATX 12V PS
Asus P4P800 SE mobo
PNY 512MB PC3200 x2 RAM
Intel P4 3e GHz 800 MHz System Bus 1MB L2 Cache CPU
GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Video Card
Pioneer DVR-A06U
Logitech Marble Mouse
Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Thank you.

--
Take care.

roadster3043

jk

Skip the Pentium 4 and get an Athlon 64 instead.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

roadster3043 wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Is the following a decent setup?
>
> Xtech Medium Tower Case
> Antec TruePower 430 Watt ATX 12V PS
> Asus P4P800 SE mobo
> PNY 512MB PC3200 x2 RAM
> Intel P4 3e GHz 800 MHz System Bus 1MB L2 Cache CPU
> GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Video Card
> Pioneer DVR-A06U
> Logitech Marble Mouse
> Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Take care.
>
> roadster3043

Skip the Athlon64 and go with your original plan.

According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment would be:

P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or

P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+

Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for either an
Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about those chips, as
hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as they do on the entire rest
of their system combined.

So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best indicators of who
has the best bang for buck, at the moment.

Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster
Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.
So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD and
one tie.
GAMING OVERALL: TIED

Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Internet Content Creation: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Overall: Intel blows AMD away

Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Synthetic Benchmarks: (PC Mark 2004): Here, Intel blows AMD away on both
*CPU* and memory benchmarks

Even at the same price for CPU, an Intel system can be cheaper to
build, as the P4 boards are more mature at this point, and thus there are
better bargains to be found. Considering that an Intel system will likely
be cheaper to build and WILL perform better on all benchmarks except DX8,
it's kind of a no-brainer as to which chip to build with, at the moment.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/index.html

The following is an article on the Athlon 64 2800+. But more interesting
is,
the benchmarks included in the article are a GREAT comparison of the 3.2GHz
P4
processors with the Athlon64 3200+. In this article, these two processors
are
pretty evenly matched, with Intel being faster on some benchmarks, and AMD
being faster on others.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=1

Now lets look at what Sharky Extreme has to report in their article about
the
3.4GHz Prescott processor. This one has benchmarks that are a great
comparison
of the 3.4GHz Intel chips with the Athlon64 3400+. Here, you have to be
careful,
as Sharky doesn't organize their charts in order of fastest to slowest. And
on
some charts, LOWER scores are better. But if you read all the benchmarks,
you
will again notice that the two chips are pretty evenly matched, with AMD
faster
on some and Intel faster on others.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3329681__1

Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could change that
would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave, updated 10/2/04

jk

"Dave C." wrote:

> Skip the Athlon64 and go with your original plan.
>
> According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment would be:
>
> P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or
>
> P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+
>
> Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for either an
> Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about those chips, as
> hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as they do on the entire rest
> of their system combined.
>
> So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best indicators of who
> has the best bang for buck, at the moment.
>
> Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster

Not quite.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=10

> Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
> Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
> TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.
> So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD and
> one tie.
> GAMING OVERALL: TIED
>
> Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away

Not quite. Even an Athlon XP3000+($95) beats a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz in Business Winstone
2004.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

> Business Applications: Internet Content Creation: Intel blows AMD away

Not quite. See the Content Creation Winstone 2004 results.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

> Business Applications: Overall: Intel blows AMD away

Even an Athlon XP3000+($95) beats a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz in Business Winstone 2004.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

> Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
> towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.
>
> Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide
>
> Synthetic Benchmarks: (PC Mark 2004): Here, Intel blows AMD away on both
> *CPU* and memory benchmarks
>
> Even at the same price for CPU, an Intel system can be cheaper to
> build, as the P4 boards are more mature at this point, and thus there are
> better bargains to be found. Considering that an Intel system will likely
> be cheaper to build and WILL perform better on all benchmarks except DX8,
> it's kind of a no-brainer as to which chip to build with, at the moment.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/index.html
>
> The following is an article on the Athlon 64 2800+. But more interesting
> is,
> the benchmarks included in the article are a GREAT comparison of the 3.2GHz
> P4
> processors with the Athlon64 3200+. In this article, these two processors
> are
> pretty evenly matched, with Intel being faster on some benchmarks, and AMD
> being faster on others.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=1
>
> Now lets look at what Sharky Extreme has to report in their article about
> the
> 3.4GHz Prescott processor. This one has benchmarks that are a great
> comparison
> of the 3.4GHz Intel chips with the Athlon64 3400+. Here, you have to be
> careful,
> as Sharky doesn't organize their charts in order of fastest to slowest. And
> on
> some charts, LOWER scores are better. But if you read all the benchmarks,
> you
> will again notice that the two chips are pretty evenly matched, with AMD
> faster
> on some and Intel faster on others.
>
> http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3329681__1
>
> Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could change that
> would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave, updated 10/2/04

Very funny. A $150 Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754 )beats an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz
in Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

A $95 Athlon XP3000+ beats a $210 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz in Business Winstone 2004.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getarticle=606&go=0.53769656

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in

> you'll see wait a sec....I thought about the post after I sent,,,
> glad to see you didn't jump right off at me,...you would have had the
> right///LOL jerome = JK

Ah, not to worry. LOL

Is there a troll(etc.) in the group that uses the same nick or other
info like mine?

--
Take care.

roadster3043

jad

oh no he an AMD employee/stock holder

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in

> Skip the Athlon64 and go with your original plan.
>
> According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment
> would be:
>
> P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or
>
> P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+
>
> Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for
> either an Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about
> those chips, as hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as
> they do on the entire rest of their system combined.
>
> So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best
> indicators of who has the best bang for buck, at the moment.

<snip>

Thank you for the info and links Dave C.

--
Take care.

roadster3043

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in
>
>> Skip the Athlon64 and go with your original plan.
>>
>> According to www.pricewatch.com, same price range at the moment
>> would be:
>>
>> P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or
>>
>> P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+
>>
>> Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for
>> either an Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about
>> those chips, as hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as
>> they do on the entire rest of their system combined.
>>
>> So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best
>> indicators of who has the best bang for buck, at the moment.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Thank you for the info and links Dave C.

No problem. I'm an AMD fan myself, but need to post this periodically to
stop someone else from posting misleading information deliberately bashing
Intel. -Dave

> No problem. I'm an AMD fan myself, but need to post this
> periodically to stop someone else from posting misleading
> information deliberately bashing Intel. -Dave

After my P2 400MHz, I switched to AMD, but so far I have had problems
with the mobos I used for AMD, the first was an Abit KG-7 Raid and the
most recent one an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. In the KG-7 the PS/2 ports
stopped working, then the USB ports, then the mobo just died. In the
Asus it started with WinXP giving me an error message and restarting,
then BIOS problems and last no POST. This in less than a year. My P2
is still working, which I'm using right now but the AGP slot seems to
have stopped working. I'm using an old PCI vid card for it. Know of a
good PCI video card that you can recommend?

I like both Intel and AMD. Maybe I need a good mobo for the AMD Athlon
XP CPU so that I can have a better experience with this type of CPU and
be able to enjoy it as I have my P2.

--
Take care.

roadster3043

> Thanks again for the info Dave.
>
> I have an AGP card for the AMD system. I have to check the voltage as
> you suggested. The decent($100.00 and under if possible) PCI video
> card is for my P2 system. Nothing fancy, but good, for watching
> internet related stuff (vids, pics, etc.) and a few old games like Duke
> Nukem, Descent, MDK, Quake I and II.
>
> I have to check the PSU used on the AMD system, but most probably is a
> cheapo PSU, it doesn't weigh as much as a good PSU. I read somewhere
> that the heavier the PSU the better quality the components used inside.
> Can the problem be also caused by a faulty or bad UPS?

UPS??? Assuming that's not a typo . . . the UPS wouldn't likely cause any
problems, as long as your electricity was still on. Even if the lights go
out, your worst problem with a UPS would be that it runs out of power before
you want it to. A UPS typically has pretty good protection circuits in it,
for good reason. The UPS is built EXPECTING the wall power to be
unreliable. :)

A UPS is pretty much the opposite of a PSU. While a UPS converts DC to AC,
the PSU converts AC to DC. With any component, garbage in equals garbage
out. But unless the power goes out, the PSU is running off the wall
current, even if plugged into a UPS. Thus the UPS won't likely affect
reliability of your computer components at all.

A bad PSU however, CAN and HAS affected reliability of all components in an
adverse manner. Stable DC power out of the PSU is imperative to keep all
computer components stable and reliable. In severe cases, a bad power
supply can not only cause stability problems but actually (permanently)
damage connected computer components.

It's possible your Athlon XP system had two bad motherboards. It's also
possible your Athlon XP system had a power supply that damaged two
motherboards. Both scenarios are equally as likely. Motherboards do go
bad, but not as often as power supplies. Cheap power supplies fail with
alarming frequency. Unfortunately, they don't always fail in ways that are
obvious until after they've taken several other components down with them.

But there is no reliable way to test a PSU short of replacing it. You can
use a multimeter to test voltages, but BAD power supplies can look good when
hooked up to a multimeter. So all the multimeter will tell you is if your
power supply is dead or not. That would only be helpful information if you
had a motherboard that appeared to be totally dead. That is, if you turn on
a system and absolutely NOTHING happens, then a multimeter might be a good
way to check to see if you are getting ANYTHING out of the PSU. :)

For a decent PCI video card for the P2 system, I might suggest the
following. It is DX8.1 and OpenGL 1.3, so it should handle older games just
great. There are some DX9 cards less than a hundred bucks. But this one
has a DVI connector. I'm thinking you might want to use it to power an
extra monitor later, perhaps. In other words, I think the card will outlive
a P2 system, and DVI is already here. Note that this appears to be
passively cooled too. (I like quiet) -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-354&depa=0

Not bad.

> Greetings.
>
> Is the following a decent setup?
>
> Xtech Medium Tower Case
> Antec TruePower 430 Watt ATX 12V PS
> Asus P4P800 SE mobo
> PNY 512MB PC3200 x2 RAM
> Intel P4 3e GHz 800 MHz System Bus 1MB L2 Cache CPU
> GeForceFX 5200 128MB AGP Video Card
> Pioneer DVR-A06U
> Logitech Marble Mouse
> Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Take care.
>
> roadster3043

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in

<snip>
> UPS??? Assuming that's not a typo . . . the UPS wouldn't likely
> cause any problems, as long as your electricity was still on.
> Even if the lights go out, your worst problem with a UPS would be
> that it runs out of power before you want it to. A UPS typically
> has pretty good protection circuits in it, for good reason. The
> UPS is built EXPECTING the wall power to be unreliable. :)
>
> A UPS is pretty much the opposite of a PSU. While a UPS converts
> DC to AC, the PSU converts AC to DC. With any component, garbage
> in equals garbage out. But unless the power goes out, the PSU is
> running off the wall current, even if plugged into a UPS. Thus
> the UPS won't likely affect reliability of your computer
> components at all.
<snip>

I mentioned the UPS because I had a power outage when the Asus mobo was
working and it didn't leave the computer on as it is supposed to, so I
could turn the computer off.

Could there be a possibility that the UPS couldn't send enough power
needed for the PSU, causing it to get damaged?

Thank you.

--
Take care.

roadster3043