Updating from XP to 7 not working

manifesto316

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Recently I upgrade my system from XP to 7, but then today I messed something up so I figured I would just reinstall it because I figured it would be easier. I was able to load XP back on alright, but when I went to use the upgrade discs to 7 is when I ran into problems. When I put the disc in it says loading files, and there is a progress bar at the bottom, and when that's done I get the "starting windows" text but Windows never starts. Any suggestions on what I should do?

You can’t upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. You can launch the Windows 7 install program from Windows XP where it will then do a clean install. So there is no need to install Windows XP if you can boot from the Windows 7 install disk by setting the option in the BIOS to boot from CD.
As for the computer freezing are you sure that you are waiting long enough? Sometimes depending on the motherboard it can hang at this point for 15 minutes or so, try giving it at least half an hour before giving up.

manifesto316

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well I only have the upgrade for Windows 7 so I have to piggy pack it off of the full version or Windows XP, or is there a way I can just install form that? And I will try letting it run for longer, I was only waiting a few minutes and then getting impatient.

manifesto316

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Also since I had Windows 7 installed on there before could there be remnants of it on the drive that could be preventing it from installing or would all of that have been erased when I installed Windows XP?