CPU temp monitors

How do cpu temperature monitors work: is the sensor in the (amd) cpu, or
adjacent on the mobo?

If you switch to a new mother board, would you expect to see a
significant change?

I sold my athlon xp 1700 to a friend and we installed it. When I ran it,
it usually ran ~100 deg F. give or take a degree or two, or even a bit
colder in a chllly room (ecs k7s5a, 384mb, 40g hd cd &cdrom, mostly
surfing, with amd retail hs/fan.)

In his new machine, I was disturbed to see it go to 120 deg F. at first
start, however there are several things that may account for this: we
were in a warm room; perhaps in removing the cpu and amd thermal pad and
swtching to Radio Shack hs compound, maybe I worsened it; the case is
fan poor: cpu fan and antec 300 fan(s); high temperatures where noticed
in middle of W-XP load - maybe heavy work for the processor; also the
mobo monitor got much hotter than I'm used to seeing: 100 deg F. I
finally just removed the side panel, and after about an hour or so, both
the cpu and mobo had dropped to ~105.

Why all heat?
Pete

P T wrote:

> How do cpu temperature monitors work: is the sensor in the (amd) cpu, or
> adjacent on the mobo?
>
> If you switch to a new mother board, would you expect to see a
> significant change?
>
> I sold my athlon xp 1700 to a friend and we installed it. When I ran it,
> it usually ran ~100 deg F. give or take a degree or two, or even a bit
> colder in a chllly room (ecs k7s5a, 384mb, 40g hd cd &cdrom, mostly
> surfing, with amd retail hs/fan.)
>
> In his new machine, I was disturbed to see it go to 120 deg F. at first
> start, however there are several things that may account for this: we
> were in a warm room; perhaps in removing the cpu and amd thermal pad and
> swtching to Radio Shack hs compound, maybe I worsened it; the case is
> fan poor: cpu fan and antec 300 fan(s); high temperatures where noticed
> in middle of W-XP load - maybe heavy work for the processor; also the
> mobo monitor got much hotter than I'm used to seeing: 100 deg F. I
> finally just removed the side panel, and after about an hour or so, both
> the cpu and mobo had dropped to ~105.

It's almost impossible to make meaningful comparisons between different
systems but the minimal case ventilation and warm room probably explain the
majority of the 20F difference you noted.

The side panel off temps would tend to suggest it's mostly case ventilation.

> Why all heat?
> Pete

jaster

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:17:30 -0500, P T wrote:

> How do cpu temperature monitors work: is the sensor in the (amd) cpu, or
> adjacent on the mobo?
>
> If you switch to a new mother board, would you expect to see a significant
> change?
>
> I sold my athlon xp 1700 to a friend and we installed it. When I ran it,
> it usually ran ~100 deg F. give or take a degree or two, or even a bit
> colder in a chllly room (ecs k7s5a, 384mb, 40g hd cd &cdrom, mostly
> surfing, with amd retail hs/fan.)
>
> In his new machine, I was disturbed to see it go to 120 deg F. at first
> start, however there are several things that may account for this: we were
> in a warm room; perhaps in removing the cpu and amd thermal pad and
> swtching to Radio Shack hs compound, maybe I worsened it; the case is fan
> poor: cpu fan and antec 300 fan(s); high temperatures where noticed in
> middle of W-XP load - maybe heavy work for the processor; also the mobo
> monitor got much hotter than I'm used to seeing: 100 deg F. I finally just
> removed the side panel, and after about an hour or so, both the cpu and
> mobo had dropped to ~105.
>
> Why all heat?
> Pete

Room, case, fans etc all contribute to differing temps. The motherboard
connects to a pin on the cpu to provide the cpu temp. I moved the same
board, cpu and adapters to a new case and the average temp increased 5C.
My cpu temps rise and fall with the outside room temp while the
motherboard temp remains the same.

Spajky

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:17:30 -0500, Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote:

>In his new machine, I was disturbed to see it go to 120 deg F. at first
>start, ......

>Why all heat?

read the link revealing CPU temps
on my site under comp/bench ...