bonedaddy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

Anyone aware of anything that is driving up the cost of memory? I have been
watching prices the past 2 months or so and the DDR SDRAM I have been
watching (at newegg) has gone up by 13% in the past week.

bonedaddy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20041011A5023.html
>
> bonedaddy wrote:
>
>> Anyone aware of anything that is driving up the cost of memory? I have
>> been
>> watching prices the past 2 months or so and the DDR SDRAM I have been
>> watching (at newegg) has gone up by 13% in the past week.

Thanks JK

bonedaddy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> bonedaddy wrote:
>> Anyone aware of anything that is driving up the cost of memory? I have
>> been watching prices the past 2 months or so and the DDR SDRAM I have
>> been watching (at newegg) has gone up by 13% in the past week.
>
> Supposedly manufacturing capacity is being switched prior to Christmas
> from secure digital, compact flash, etc. products to DDR products. SD and
> CF have been dirt cheap lately. Also I believe some RAM makers were
> convicted of price fixing lately. So DDR is supposed to get cheaper soon.
> That does not explain your observation.

Maybe is just has to do with the brand. I have been looking at the PDP
Systems RAM.

In article <t6Rbd.7099$vQ1.945@news01.roc.ny>,
Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
>bonedaddy wrote:
>> Anyone aware of anything that is driving up the cost of memory? I have been
>> watching prices the past 2 months or so and the DDR SDRAM I have been
>> watching (at newegg) has gone up by 13% in the past week.
>
>Supposedly manufacturing capacity is being switched prior to Christmas
>from secure digital, compact flash, etc. products to DDR products. SD
>and CF have been dirt cheap lately. Also I believe some RAM makers were
>convicted of price fixing lately. So DDR is supposed to get cheaper
>soon. That does not explain your observation.

In the US, the dollar exchange rate has to be adding to the price.

I've read that there are now so many types of memory, and applications
(CF, smart, SD, PDAs, cell phones, etc) that if the chip makers and
packagers don't exactly match what the system builders make, and the
merket buys there will be wild fluctuations, up, when there are spot
shortages, and people that can scan pricewatch.com will be able to get
bargins, on excess inventory, sometimes.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Phisherman

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:55:35 -0500, "bonedaddy" <none> wrote:

>Anyone aware of anything that is driving up the cost of memory? I have been
>watching prices the past 2 months or so and the DDR SDRAM I have been
>watching (at newegg) has gone up by 13% in the past week.

I suspect the demand for memory in all the hi-tech devices (cell
phones, digital cameras, palm pilots, etc). Some memory-hungry
software (ie, Windows XP) does not help. As you found out, memory
prices are very volatile. You can get a better value buying generic
brand memory, although at a slightly higher risk.