Automatically disable wireless

Bart

Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they plug
in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
Thanks!

Change the hard ware profiles: 1 called office withe the nic enable and the
wireless disabled. the other called home, with the wireless enabled and the
nic disabled. At least that way the user will have to see while profile is
going to be loaded when he powers. Also se the auto start so that if they
ignore the option the boot up does not automatically start the top one on
the list.

Mike (MCP)
"Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they
> plug
> in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> Thanks!

"Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBDD113C-250D-4EC9-B57C-59FAC2C85D5C@microsoft.com...
> Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they plug
> in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> Thanks!

No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
--PA

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> "Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have users who use wireless at home, then forget to disable it when they
plug
> > in at the office. Anyone know of a way to have Win2k/XP automatically
> > disable the wireless connection when it sees a wired connection?
> > Thanks!
>
> No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
> --PA

No way possible to make it do that (there that should get
someone to write a quick utility to do exactly that -- sounds
like a good idea.) I would imagine a number of people would
like to see that sort of utility.

mikey

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi,

This utility has already been written by someone for Toshiba notebook users.
It's called Network Device Switch. I've been using it on my Toshiba for
quite a time happily. There's no reason why someone else should write it for
other brands/other hardware. For further information, see Toshiba web site,
support section, downloads.

Good luck,
Engin

"oldguy" <engin.tarhan@kopiteknik.com.tr> wrote in message news:u90HtThhFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> This utility has already been written by someone for Toshiba notebook users. It's called Network Device Switch. I've been
> using it on my Toshiba for quite a time happily. There's no reason why someone else should write it for other brands/other
> hardware. For further information, see Toshiba web site, support section, downloads.
>
> Good luck,
> Engin

Not only Toshiba. Earlier Centrino WLAN adapters came with similar
utility from Intel.
However all solutions of this kind have problems, and have been abandoned by their vendors.
A good solution is expected to be the emerging standard IEEE 802.21

--PA

> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23lJlVSJhFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>>> "Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> plug
>>>
>>> No built-in way in XP. Need to roll your own.
>>> --PA
>>>

>> No way possible to make it do that (there that should get
>> someone to write a quick utility to do exactly that -- sounds
>> like a good idea.) I would imagine a number of people would
>> like to see that sort of utility.
>>
>> mikey

sasesham

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
There is a product that does exactly what you are asking, it's called Wireless AutoSwitch. Chekc it out at http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com. It is very inexpensive.

bobbysays

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
http://www.wlanbook.com/bridgechecker/

BridgeChecker is a windows utility that can automatically disable/enable wireless interfaces. Whenever your computer is connected to an Ethernet port and the link state is good, the utility can automatically turns off the IEEE 802.11 wireless network interface. This conserves IP address allocation, reduces security risks, resolves dual interface routing issues, and prolongs battery life.