Remote Desktop Window Does Not Refresh When Roaming

gazuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2005

Hi,
I have a 802.11/b 2.4GHz wireless network with a number of hotspots. I
connect to the application server (Windows XP Pro) using Remote Desktop
running on a Windows XP Tablet with Cisco Aironet Cardbus. My problem is that
the Remote Desktop screen does not automatically refresh when crossing
hotspot boundaries, even though the signal is always good to excellent. New
data is only visible after I select the screen using the light-pen. I tried
the same test with my WiFi laptop but no change. I used TweakUI to cause the
Remote Desktop window to remain always in-focus (even though it was the only
window running on the client). I also played with the bandiwth settings on
the Experience tab but no success. Has anyone else heard of this problem? I
browsed the internet for long peroipds but could not find any reference to
such a problem. Our application needs to report by exception and so the
automatic refresh is important. I appreciate any suggestions or utils that
might help. Kind Regards, Gary

It will automatically "reconnect" when you get a different IP
address... When you roam between hotspots, you should be getting a
different IP addresss.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:11:03 -0700, "GazUK"
<GazUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a 802.11/b 2.4GHz wireless network with a number of hotspots. I
>connect to the application server (Windows XP Pro) using Remote Desktop
>running on a Windows XP Tablet with Cisco Aironet Cardbus. My problem is that
>the Remote Desktop screen does not automatically refresh when crossing
>hotspot boundaries, even though the signal is always good to excellent. New
>data is only visible after I select the screen using the light-pen. I tried
>the same test with my WiFi laptop but no change. I used TweakUI to cause the
>Remote Desktop window to remain always in-focus (even though it was the only
>window running on the client). I also played with the bandiwth settings on
>the Experience tab but no success. Has anyone else heard of this problem? I
>browsed the internet for long peroipds but could not find any reference to
>such a problem. Our application needs to report by exception and so the
>automatic refresh is important. I appreciate any suggestions or utils that
>might help. Kind Regards, Gary

gazuk

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2005

I get the re-connection ok. All hotspots and repeaters have different IP
addresses and I can see when the re-connection occurs using the suppliers
utility software on the client. The problem I have is that the Remote Desktop
Connection screen does not refresh after the IP re-connection. For example,
while roaming with the client, I am displaying the system clock on the server
using the Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection. The clock displayed on the
client (but sourced from the server) will stop on the client after IP
re-connection. It only starts to update again if I select the Remote Desktop
Connection screen with the client mouse. I know that the connection is not
lost since this will be shown when the Remote Desktop windows goes black and
white and I can see the icon showing that the connection is lost. The IP
re-connection is pretty quick in the order of 3 to 5 seconds.