Adding SATA Data Drive to PATA System - Help Needed.

I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@xxxxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
> SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

You probably won't need the SATA driver as Winxp is already installed. If
it's the SATA driver I'm thinking of, this would help you install Windows on
the SATA drive. HOWEVER, you need to enter your BIOS setup screens and make
sure that the on-board SATA controller is enabled. -Dave

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@xxxxxxxx.com> wrote in message
>I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
> SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!

Oh, forgot to add . . . you will need to partition and format the new drive
as well. Start, control panel, admin tools, computer management, disk
management. -Dave

In article <2tge9eF1v63hvU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...
> >I have an A7N8X-E board with WinXP on an IDE drive. I installed a SATA
> > drive, to be used for data, but XP won't recognixe it. I got the Silicon
> > SATA driver, but am not sure what to do with it, or wheter it is needed.
> > I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much!
>
> You probably won't need the SATA driver as Winxp is already installed. If
> it's the SATA driver I'm thinking of, this would help you install Windows on
> the SATA drive. HOWEVER, you need to enter your BIOS setup screens and make
> sure that the on-board SATA controller is enabled. -Dave

Dave, thanks, but I don't have an on-board SATA controller, as I don't
have RAID. However I've played with it some more, and now it looks like
the subject of the post is no longer applicable, so I wrote a new post
which should be right after this one.

Regards, Jim