Thing that heatsink assembly clips to

Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.
3 answers Last reply
More about thing heatsink assembly clips

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:33:06 -0500, "Harry Palms" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

    >Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
    >that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
    >plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
    >clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
    >can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
    >plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
    >use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
    >my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.

    http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?categoryID=4&itempart=P4Retention-478

    It is called a "P4 CPU Retention Bracket".

    --
    DaveW

    "Harry Palms" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
    > Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
    > that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
    > plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
    > clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
    > can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
    > plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
    > use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
    > my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.

    Great! Thanks for the help and the link. I was confused because Newegg
    didn't have anything close, and they seem to stock everything under the
    sun. I'm going to order it tonight.

Homebuilt Heatsinks Motherboards Systems