Thing that heatsink assembly clips to

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2004 1:33:06 AM

Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.
October 18, 2004 8:20:01 AM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:33:06 -0500, "Harry Palms" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

>Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
>that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
>plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
>clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
>can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
>plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
>use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
>my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.

http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?categoryID=4&it...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2004 3:25:13 AM

It is called a "P4 CPU Retention Bracket".

--
DaveW

"Harry Palms" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.18.02.33.05.801317@ftc.gov...
> Hi, I recently upgraded my Dell server with a 3.06 HT processor. The chip
> that was on there originally used a Dell proprietary heatsink fan, and the
> plastic connector that is screwed to the motherboard that the assembly
> clips to is not a standard piece-the levers on my Intel supplied unit
> can't clip to the thing. Is it possible to get one, and if so what's the
> plastic piece called? All I need is the thing for the motherboard so I can
> use the correct fan/heatsink unit for it. I was forced to use the one from
> my old CPU, but would greatly prefer to use Intel's solution.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 12:06:01 AM

Great! Thanks for the help and the link. I was confused because Newegg
didn't have anything close, and they seem to stock everything under the
sun. I'm going to order it tonight.
!