Charlie

I pulled a hard drive out of one computer and put it in my new computer to
copy some files from it to my new computer and got the error message, Error
hard drive but I still get the same error message.
Both computers have the same operating system so I didn't think there would
be a problem.
Can someone please tell how to correct this problem.
Thanks
Charlie

jad

make sure that the bios is seeing the drive properly

"Charlie" <charley94@excite.com> wrote in message
> I pulled a hard drive out of one computer and put it in my new
computer to
> copy some files from it to my new computer and got the error
message, Error
original
> hard drive but I still get the same error message.
> Both computers have the same operating system so I didn't think
there would
> be a problem.
> Can someone please tell how to correct this problem.
> Thanks
> Charlie

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:57:26 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then "Charlie" <charley94@excite.com> wrote :

> I pulled a hard drive out of one computer and put it in my new computer to
>copy some files from it to my new computer and got the error message, Error
>hard drive but I still get the same error message.
>Both computers have the same operating system so I didn't think there would
>be a problem.
>Can someone please tell how to correct this problem.
>Thanks
>Charlie

What O/S?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Charlie wrote:

> I pulled a hard drive out of one computer and put it in my new computer to
> copy some files from it to my new computer and got the error message, Error

Put it 'where' in the new computer?

> so I pulled the old drive out and replaced it with the original
> hard drive but I still get the same error message.

I'm confused. If you put the 'old' drive in as the boot drive, removing the
old one, how were you going to copy files?

> Both computers have the same operating system so I didn't think there would
> be a problem.

You can't just slap a boot drive from one computer into another one, as the
boot drive, and expect it to automagically work because all the hardware is
different.

> Can someone please tell how to correct this problem.

First, put it back the way it was and make sure your BIOS is configured for
the original drive and the drive jumpers are correct. Get that working.

Then jumper the old drive as a slave and put it in as slave (check to see
if your master has a different setting for 'master WITH salve' and set
accordingly). Then boot it from the 'new' hard drive, as it's supposed to,
with the old one as a slave and you can copy files from it to the new one.