Transfer Program from old PC to new PC?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and all
it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95 to XP)

Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the old
PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies easily and
rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.

Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.

Thanks,

Fred.
13 answers Last reply
More about transfer program
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and all
    > it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95 to XP)
    >
    > Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the old
    > PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies easily and
    > rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    >
    > Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.

    Get an ethernet PCI card for a couple of £, install that and do the
    transfer that way?

    If you *have to* use floppies, something like winzip, winrar etc. can
    span the zip/rar across floppies, but you'll have to gather all the
    required files yourself in the first place. Why don't you just copy
    over the installation and install it to the other PC?

    --
    [ste]
    This week, I shall be mostly eBaying these things:

    BB has one solution IF that software actually registered anything
    of importance in the 95 registry. many programs did nothing in the way
    of the registry. Just copy the directories over.

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application
    (and all
    > it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95
    to XP)

    > Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on
    the old
    > PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies
    easily and
    > rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    >
    > Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Why don't you just copy
    > over the installation and install it to the other PC?
    >
    > --
    > [ste]

    It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.

    Cheers,

    Fred.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <cl0uo5$nar$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, finisterre@gmail.com
    says...
    > Why don't you just copy
    > > over the installation and install it to the other PC?
    > >
    > > --
    > > [ste]
    >
    > It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.

    I ran into a similar situation with an old accounting program that a
    client was using. They lost the original installation disk.

    I created the exact same directory struction as was on the old computer
    and copied all of the files to the new computer. I then exported the
    Registry entries for the app and imported them on the new computer.

    I ran the program and each time it complained about a missing DLL, I
    simply copied the DLL from the SYSTEM32 folder of the old computer over
    to the new one until the app ran.

    Took me a total of 30 minutes, but it worked.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > Why don't you just copy
    >
    >>over the installation and install it to the other PC?
    >>
    >>--
    >>[ste]
    >

    > It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.

    Have a look to see if the original installer wrote an install log
    somewhere .... some of the better programs do/did.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    It is very inexpensive, and easy, to set up a communication path between 2
    computers. The simplest way is to use a crossover cable connected to a
    network interface card in each computer - and then set up file sharing.

    Alternatively, you could temporarily mount the HD from your old PC into your
    new PC as a slave, then copy the files onto your new HD.

    A word of warning. When you try to run the program on your new PC, unless
    every file is in the same named folder and on the same drive letter as
    before, the program will not run. That is why it is almost always better to
    reinstall the program, rather than just transfer its' component parts.

    In your case, though, the original install disks are apparently no longer
    available. If the program is not too old, you might be able to download it
    from the program creator. If it is too old, perhaps it is time to upgrade to
    a newer version.

    By the way, it is almost never a good idea to try to transfer the files for
    any program of significant size with floppy disks. You could still be doing
    the transfer a year from now!

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and all
    > it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95 to XP)
    >
    > Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the old
    > PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies easily and
    > rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    >
    > Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and all
    > it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95 to XP)
    >
    > Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the old
    > PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies easily and
    > rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    >
    > Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    You should also be aware that some older programs that ran fine under 95
    are not compatible with xp. You may have to run the compatability wizard
    in order to even run the older program on the newer OS.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cl0uo5$nar$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, finisterre@gmail.com
    > says...
    >> Why don't you just copy
    >> > over the installation and install it to the other PC?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > [ste]
    >>
    >> It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.
    >
    > I ran into a similar situation with an old accounting program that a
    > client was using. They lost the original installation disk.
    >
    > I created the exact same directory struction as was on the old computer
    > and copied all of the files to the new computer. I then exported the
    > Registry entries for the app and imported them on the new computer.
    >
    > I ran the program and each time it complained about a missing DLL, I
    > simply copied the DLL from the SYSTEM32 folder of the old computer over
    > to the new one until the app ran.
    >
    > Took me a total of 30 minutes, but it worked.

    Don't you not have to test *every* function of the programme with realistic
    data? Otherwise, how can you be reasonably sure that they are not going to
    call you in a panic when they can't run their year-end update or something?

    This sort of thing is a *really big* problem. I typically spend a couple of
    days migrating an old PC to a new one. It's by far the biggest cost of new
    hardware in an office. All these programmes like TransferMyPC are pretty
    useless.

    Going back to your accountancy programme, is it any more reliable if you do
    it differently, as follows? Scrub the disk on the new machine. Make a
    bootable image of the old disk on the new disk, including the accountancy
    programme. Then install the new version of windows over the top of the old
    one.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    GB wrote:

    > "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <cl0uo5$nar$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, finisterre@gmail.com
    >>says...
    >>
    >>> Why don't you just copy

    >>>It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.
    >>
    >>I ran into a similar situation with an old accounting program that a
    >>client was using. They lost the original installation disk.
    >>
    >>I created the exact same directory struction as was on the old computer
    >>and copied all of the files to the new computer. I then exported the
    >>Registry entries for the app and imported them on the new computer.
    >>
    >>I ran the program and each time it complained about a missing DLL, I
    >>simply copied the DLL from the SYSTEM32 folder of the old computer over
    >>to the new one until the app ran.
    >>
    >>Took me a total of 30 minutes, but it worked.
    >>

    > Don't you not have to test *every* function of the programme with realistic
    > data? Otherwise, how can you be reasonably sure that they are not going to
    > call you in a panic when they can't run their year-end update or something?
    >
    > This sort of thing is a *really big* problem. I typically spend a couple of
    > days migrating an old PC to a new one. It's by far the biggest cost of new
    > hardware in an office. All these programmes like TransferMyPC are pretty
    > useless.
    >
    > Going back to your accountancy programme, is it any more reliable if you do
    > it differently, as follows? Scrub the disk on the new machine. Make a
    > bootable image of the old disk on the new disk, including the accountancy
    > programme. Then install the new version of windows over the top of the old
    > one.

    That would normally be the easiest procedure to save everything but
    win95-->XP isn't a supported upgrade path. He'd first have to upgrade the
    Win95 system to Win98/SE/ME or Windows 2000.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <41744549$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>, "GB"
    NOTsomeone@microsoft.com says...

    > "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <cl0uo5$nar$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, finisterre@gmail.com
    > > says...
    > >> Why don't you just copy

    > >> It's OLD software and the original install disks are missing.
    > >
    > > I ran into a similar situation with an old accounting program that a
    > > client was using. They lost the original installation disk.
    > >
    > > I created the exact same directory struction as was on the old computer
    > > and copied all of the files to the new computer. I then exported the
    > > Registry entries for the app and imported them on the new computer.
    > >
    > > I ran the program and each time it complained about a missing DLL, I
    > > simply copied the DLL from the SYSTEM32 folder of the old computer over
    > > to the new one until the app ran.
    > >
    > > Took me a total of 30 minutes, but it worked.
    > >

    > Don't you not have to test *every* function of the programme with realistic
    > data? Otherwise, how can you be reasonably sure that they are not going to
    > call you in a panic when they can't run their year-end update or something?

    Not much of a problem if you have archived the disk (and preferably
    exported the Registry) from the old machine - you'll just have to copy a
    few more files over.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <v90dd.130$Kc6.102@news01.roc.ny>, "Matt"
    matt@themattfella.zzzz.com says...
    > Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > > Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and all
    > > it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95 to XP)
    > >
    > > Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the old
    > > PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies easily and
    > > rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    > >
    > > Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.
    >
    > Can you upload the files from the old computer to disk space at your
    > ISP, then download to the new computer?

    Much easier to use a null-modem cable.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:47:57 +0000, Papa wrote:

    The easiest way to copy programs using floppies is PKzip with the spanning
    function. This will zip large archives across multiple floppies. WinRar
    will also span multiple files to archive files for floppies after you
    restrict the output .rar file sizes to 1.44mb. Registry entries are a
    problem and I don't think the W95 entries match XP registry format.

    > It is very inexpensive, and easy, to set up a communication path between 2
    > computers. The simplest way is to use a crossover cable connected to a
    > network interface card in each computer - and then set up file sharing.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could temporarily mount the HD from your old PC into
    > your new PC as a slave, then copy the files onto your new HD.
    >
    > A word of warning. When you try to run the program on your new PC, unless
    > every file is in the same named folder and on the same drive letter as
    > before, the program will not run. That is why it is almost always better
    > to reinstall the program, rather than just transfer its' component parts.
    >
    > In your case, though, the original install disks are apparently no longer
    > available. If the program is not too old, you might be able to download it
    > from the program creator. If it is too old, perhaps it is time to upgrade
    > to a newer version.
    >
    > By the way, it is almost never a good idea to try to transfer the files
    > for any program of significant size with floppy disks. You could still be
    > doing the transfer a year from now!
    >
    > "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Any recommendations for software that can transfer an application (and
    >> all it's .ini's, .dll's etc) and it's data from one PC to another? (95
    >> to XP)
    >>
    >> Must use floppies for the transfer, due to no USB or CD Burner on the
    >> old PC. Must be able to span the whole things over several floppies
    >> easily and rebuild the whole lot on the new PC.
    >>
    >> Can't use Direct Cable Connection for various reasons.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Fred.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    Matt wrote:

> [...]

    Could you take the hard disk out of the source PC and pop it in the
    destination?

    Probably no extra cabling required, as you could unplug the CD-ROM in
    the destination machine temporarily.

Homebuilt Systems