WinXP on an IDE drive won't see a SATA drive. Help Please!

I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've installed
a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data, but
XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as it
should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't have
RAID). Also, I loaded Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees the
SATA drive properly.

In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
Win98SE on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize the
SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
normal drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but not
the SATA drive.

Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]

I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

jad

sata drivers loaded?

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've
installed
> a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for
data, but
> XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot
as it
> should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't
have
> RAID). Also, I loaded Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
the
> SATA drive properly.
>
> In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> Win98SE on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does*
recognize the
> SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as
> normal drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but
not
> the SATA drive.
>
> Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
>
> I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
>I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've
>installed
> a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data,
> but
> XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as
> it
> should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't
> have
> RAID). Also, I loaded Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> the
> SATA drive properly.
>
> In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> Win98SE on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize
> the
> SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
> normal drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but
> not
> the SATA drive.
>
> Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
>
> I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

IIRC you need to get XP to 'initialise' the drive. Log on with Admin
rights, right click MY Computer and select manage (or get there from
admin tools) and go to Disk Management, it should prompt you to
initialise the disk.

--
Apollo

In article <2tknl6F2056fnU1@uni-berlin.de>, ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]
mail.com says...

> "jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> >I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've
> >installed
> > a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for data,
> > but
> > XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot as
> > it
> > should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't
> > have
> > RAID). Also, I loaded Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> > the
> > SATA drive properly.
> >
> > In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> > Win98SE on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does* recognize
> > the
> > SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as a
> > normal drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but
> > not
> > the SATA drive.
> >
> > Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
> >
> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!
>
> IIRC you need to get XP to 'initialise' the drive. Log on with Admin
> rights, right click MY Computer and select manage (or get there from
> admin tools) and go to Disk Management, it should prompt you to
> initialise the disk.

That "feels" just like the kind of thing it would be. But I got to Disk
Management, which shows only the two IDE drives, and tried all the buttons
and options I could find, but none of them said anything about
initializing a drive. What am I missing?

No, am I supposed to? I've used the SATA driver from Silicon on another
machine for a new install XP on a SATA drive. But I assumed that they are
not needed when XP is on an IDE drive. Maybe that is the problem.

How do I go about putting the drivers in? On a new install of XP, the CD
has an option (F6) to install them. But what about for an already existing
install like I have? I looked into the drivers package, and found 8 files,
but none of them has an .exe extension or seems to be a loader.

In article <10nab6evucq155@corp.supernews.com>, Kapasitor@coldmail.com
says...

> sata drivers loaded?
>

> "jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote in message
> > I am running WinXP on an IDE HD and an A7N8X-E Motherboard. I've
> installed
> > a SATA drive (already partitioned and formatted) to be used for
> data, but
> > XP won't recognize it. The SATA shows up on the screen during boot
> as it
> > should, right after the option about a SATA driver for RAID (I don't
> have
> > RAID). Also, I loaded Fdisk from a Win98 boot diskette, and it sees
> the
> > SATA drive properly.
> >
> > In the process of trying "everything" I added added a third HD with
> > Win98SE on it, booted that, and lo and behold, Win98 *does*
> recognize the
> > SATA drive right off the bat, reads the files on it, and sees it as
> > normal drive in every way. XP does see the Win98 drive normally, but
> not
> > the SATA drive.
> >
> > Should I just scratch XP and go back to Win98... [lol]
> >
> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestion or ides. Thank you!

In your Device Manager, are there any yellow Exclamation Points in your Disk
Drives or SCSI/RAID entries? If so, you probably need the driver. Right-click
on the entry and use the Scan for Hardware or Update Driver function.

"jmvcq" <phlogiston@neverspam.com> wrote...
> No, am I supposed to? I've used the SATA driver from Silicon on another
> machine for a new install XP on a SATA drive. But I assumed that they are
> not needed when XP is on an IDE drive. Maybe that is the problem.
>
> How do I go about putting the drivers in? On a new install of XP, the CD
> has an option (F6) to install them. But what about for an already existing
> install like I have? I looked into the drivers package, and found 8 files,
> but none of them has an .exe extension or seems to be a loader.
>
>> sata drivers loaded?

Did that, and it worked!

Thank you.

In article <RHjdd.394878$mD.8688@attbi_s02>, jrweiss98155