Monitor of choice - CRT or LCD?

If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.
13 answers Last reply
More about monitor choice

    js wrote:
    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
    > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
    > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
    > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    Well, I use a ViewSonic G70f CRT and my better half has a ViewSonic 171s
    LCD. Both are "17 inch" although the G70f only measures 16 inches
    viewable while the VP171s measures a full 17 inches. Both are excellent
    monitors. My G70f cost $200 about 18 months ago and the VP171s cost over
    $543 three months ago.

    jimbo

    I use both. Unless desk top space is a problem the best price and best
    picture comes from a CRT monitor.
    A good flat screen that will go 1280X1024 like the ViewSonic G75f+
    will give pleasure.
    One mans opinion
    JPS

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:28:49 GMT, "js" <rhuandra@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    | If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
    | and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
    | better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
    | no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    Opinions vary, but I've not found any pluses for LCDs except size and
    weight. Any good CRT tends to beat LCDs for color accuracy and text
    clarity. And there are no concerns about insufficient response times
    or dead pixels, although most consider 16ms or better adequate
    response. Additionally, LCDs are limited to native resolutions for
    optimum display; CRTs generally support a wide range of resolutions
    with excellent display.

    Plus comparable screen sizes usually cost considerably less in a CRT
    than an LCD. :-)

    Larc

    "js" <rhuandra@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD
    > programs
    > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is
    > the
    > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but
    > have
    > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    Personally, i havent looked back since i dumped my 17" CRT for a TFT.

    Apart fro mthe obvious space gains, and loss of picture quality (from which
    i hardly notice, even when doing graphics work or webdesign) are eaisally
    outweighed by the lower strain on the eyes.

    Look for a the loseste response time and allways drive the screen at its
    native resoloution and they are fine for games.

    Avoid the cheap, unbranded screens. I have an LG and an Acer Panel, both of
    which have no dead pixels after 2 years and 1 year respectivly.

    hamman

    js wrote:
    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
    > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
    > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
    > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    I switched to a 19" Samsung LCD last year for Autocad and general office
    programs. I would never go back. I was simply looking for sharpness
    under high ambient lighting conditions and I could find none better. I
    doubt if it is any good for gaming but they kind of frown on that at
    work anyways.

    CRT is still the better choice due to cheap cost, very high resolutions and zero
    lag time compared to LCD. The biggest drawbacks of CRT is weight, size, and
    heat.

    However, I've seen some high-end LCDs that would satisfy even the most finicky
    gamer and video editor....but be prepared to shell out some major dough for
    those kind of units! Also, most of the high-end LCDs are 16:9 wide-aspect ratio
    which makes them better for watching DVDs or editing images & video.

    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
    > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
    > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
    > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    "js" <rhuandra@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<B1ddd.18883$Qv5.11036@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...

    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle
    > CAD programs and also I like to play computer games every now
    > and then, which one is the better bet?

    A refurbished Dell or Viewsonic 21-22" CRT monitor is available for
    $600 new, $250 refurbished, and for CAD I wouldn't want any monitor
    smaller than 19". I don't see any reason to prefer an LCD, unless
    it's 32", which costs roughly $100 an inch. Also a CRT monitor with a
    good CRT (any Japanese CRT, like a Sony Trinitron or Mitsubishi/NEC
    Diamondtron -- some Japanese brand monitors use Taiwan or Chinese
    CRTs) can last a long time with just inexpensive repairs.

    A typical CRT monitor has a response time that's under 3 msec. You can see
    why LCD monitors are said to Ghost the image when you have a moving scene.

    --
    DaveW

    "js" <rhuandra@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD
    > programs
    > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is
    > the
    > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but
    > have
    > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    > A typical CRT monitor has a response time that's under 3 msec. You can see
    > why LCD monitors are said to Ghost the image when you have a moving scene.

    That's why I will never buy an LCD big screen TV......who wants to see ghosting
    on a nice DVD movie?

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:28:49 GMT, "js" <rhuandra@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD programs
    >and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is the
    >better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but have
    >no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    js:

    I use a DualHead video card and am looking at two very good monitors.
    One TFT and the other, CRT.

    ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat4.10)
    DV-I: Monitor #1 Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
    1600x1200 32bit 60Hz (native).25ms response time
    VGA: Monitor #2 ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
    1600x1200 32bit 85Hz

    WindowsXP HE SP2
    Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e
    P4 2.8b\533MHz FSB retail
    1GB OCZ PC1066 RIMMs
    etc

    Before the TFT, I had been using a ViewSonic P817 21" shadow mask CRT
    (which was probably the best of its type the company ever built) as my
    main monitor.

    I am an LCD convert. When the P225f goes, it will be replaced by an
    LCD.
    I game with the LCD (mostly bf1942+DC,DCX) without artifacts, and am
    very pleased with all of the Samsung monitor's features and
    performance aspects.

    Happy trails,

    I had been using CRT monitor until my friend gave me a LCD when she leave
    NZ.
    I don't really like it, Big 19" CRT monitor was very expensive now is much
    cheaper due
    to new technologies(LCD), but if space is not a problem for you I stand by
    the CRT, since
    you could get a top of the range CRT at a very reasonable price, but only
    get a low end of middle range
    LCD with the same price. For what? Just to catch up with other people?

    "TJM" <tjm@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > CRT is still the better choice due to cheap cost, very high resolutions
    and zero
    > lag time compared to LCD. The biggest drawbacks of CRT is weight, size,
    and
    > heat.
    >
    > However, I've seen some high-end LCDs that would satisfy even the most
    finicky
    > gamer and video editor....but be prepared to shell out some major dough
    for
    > those kind of units! Also, most of the high-end LCDs are 16:9 wide-aspect
    ratio
    > which makes them better for watching DVDs or editing images & video.
    >

    > > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD
    programs
    > > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is
    the
    > > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but
    have
    > > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    In article <8CBgd.899$op3.42490@news.xtra.co.nz>, moneyturtle@xtra.co.nz
    says...
    > I had been using CRT monitor until my friend gave me a LCD when she leave
    > NZ.
    > I don't really like it, Big 19" CRT monitor was very expensive now is much
    > cheaper due
    > to new technologies(LCD), but if space is not a problem for you I stand by
    > the CRT, since
    > you could get a top of the range CRT at a very reasonable price, but only
    > get a low end of middle range
    > LCD with the same price. For what? Just to catch up with other people?
    >

    > "TJM" <tjm@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > CRT is still the better choice due to cheap cost, very high resolutions
    > and zero
    > > lag time compared to LCD. The biggest drawbacks of CRT is weight, size,
    > and
    > > heat.
    > >
    > > However, I've seen some high-end LCDs that would satisfy even the most
    > finicky
    > > gamer and video editor....but be prepared to shell out some major dough
    > for
    > > those kind of units! Also, most of the high-end LCDs are 16:9 wide-aspect
    > ratio
    > > which makes them better for watching DVDs or editing images & video.
    > >

    > > > If I would like to have an excellent display monitor to handle CAD
    > programs
    > > > and also I like to play computer games every now and then, which one is
    > the
    > > > better bet? I have been hearing 16 ms response time on LCD monitor but
    > have
    > > > no clue how it compares to a good CRT monitor. Thanks.

    And if you get a pretty good CRT, you still really can't compare the
    sharpness and clarity of text, nor the subtleties of color gradients as
    compared to LCDs.

    Louise

    Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

    >And if you get a pretty good CRT, you still really can't compare the
    >sharpness and clarity of text, nor the subtleties of color gradients as
    >compared to LCDs.

    I have seen/owned some bad looking CRT color monitors. When I used to go to
    stores, looking at all the new personal computer hardware coming out. I
    used to look closely as I passed by color monitors to see how sharp the
    text was, especially black horizontal/vertical lines. Most of the time it
    was blurry.

    My CRT ViewSonic PF-790 19" perfectly flat Trinitron color monitor produces
    sharp text, even looking at the screen from three inches away.

Homebuilt Monitors CRT Monitors Systems