Installing Windows XP on SATA drive

I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
so that I can install the OS?
7 answers Last reply
More about installing windows sata drive

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
    > I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
    > drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
    > so that I can install the OS?

    Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
    with the MoBo.

    In article <Nzjdd.499880$8_6.464003@attbi_s04>, jrweiss98155
    @.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
    > "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
    > > I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
    > > drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
    > > so that I can install the OS?
    >
    > Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
    > with the MoBo.

    Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
    no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
    years now).

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...

    >> Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
    >> with the MoBo.
    >
    > Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
    > no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
    > years now).

    Then you may have to beg/borrow/steal a USB floppy drive and copy the drivers
    from the CD to a floppy disk...

    I didn't design the XP Install routine, I'm just a victim here!

    I have done this exactly once on an Asus P4P800 (Intel 865PE based) system.

    It needed no additional drivers to install XP on a SATA drive connected to
    the chipset's SATA controller. It went similarly to installing on a PATA
    drive, although I had a little trouble with drive letters. (I'd have trouble
    reproducing the process, but I eventually got the boot drive to be c:.)

    Things may be different if using an add-on SATA controller, like the Promise
    or SI controllers used on some mainboards.

    Since then, I've gone to RAID 0. I've used the F6 process to install the
    drivers from a floppy.

    If you will not use a floppy, I expect that the most satisfactory way to do
    it would be to "slipstream" the drivers onto a copy of the XP CD. That's
    beyond my knowledge.

    HTH.

    "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
    > I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
    > drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
    > so that I can install the OS?

    "Slipstreaming" is a pretty intense procedure for the average PC user. It's
    really a rewarding experience when you've successfully completed a cd via
    slipstreaming. Following is site where Paul Thurrott explains in great
    detail how to create a an installation cd that has Service Pack 2
    incorporated right into it. You can pretty much add any other files you may
    need as well. If you decide to do this you MUST follow every word and every
    detail EXACTLY as he instructs you. I say this because I finally go it right
    on the third try after thinking I could make some minor adjustments of my
    own (DUH).
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Good luck and HTH, Rob.

    PS You may have to copy and paste the link into your browsers address bar.

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > "Slipstreaming" is a pretty intense procedure for the average PC user.
    > It's really a rewarding experience when you've successfully completed a cd
    > via slipstreaming. Following is site where Paul Thurrott explains in great
    > detail how to create a an installation cd that has Service Pack 2
    > incorporated right into it. You can pretty much add any other files you
    > may need as well. If you decide to do this you MUST follow every word and
    > every detail EXACTLY as he instructs you. I say this because I finally go
    > it right on the third try after thinking I could make some minor
    > adjustments of my own (DUH).
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > Good luck and HTH, Rob.
    >
    > PS You may have to copy and paste the link into your browsers address bar.

    Rob:
    I'm not certain your response is relevant to the OP's query, but since I
    haven't worked with SATA drives, I'll confine my remarks to the basic
    subject of your response, i.e., slipstreaming XP together with its Service
    Pack(s).

    The AutoStreamer program, which you may not be familiar with, will
    accomplish the slipstreaming in a considerably easier way than the method
    described in the Thurrott and similar sites that use the same method. It's a
    freebie and can be downloaded from ...
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-183.shtml

    It really makes slipstreaming almost fun, it's so easy. Try it and see what
    you think.

    Art

    In article <nZwdd.161195$He1.126209@attbi_s01>, jrweiss98155
    @.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
    > "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
    > >>
    > >> Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
    > >> with the MoBo.
    > >
    > > Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
    > > no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
    > > years now).
    >
    > Then you may have to beg/borrow/steal a USB floppy drive and copy the drivers
    > from the CD to a floppy disk...
    >
    > I didn't design the XP Install routine, I'm just a victim here!

    I got it working by installing XP on an IDE drive with the drivers and
    then "ghosting" the OS over to the SATA drive. Everything is working
    perfectly now.

    --Dave

Homebuilt SATA Windows XP Systems