Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing Windows XP on SATA drive

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2004 12:01:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
so that I can install the OS?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2004 5:54:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
> I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
> drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
> so that I can install the OS?

Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
with the MoBo.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2004 5:54:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Nzjdd.499880$8_6.464003@attbi_s04>, jrweiss98155
@.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
> "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
> > I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
> > drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
> > so that I can install the OS?
>
> Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
> with the MoBo.

Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
years now).
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2004 9:09:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
>>
>> Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
>> with the MoBo.
>
> Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
> no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
> years now).

Then you may have to beg/borrow/steal a USB floppy drive and copy the drivers
from the CD to a floppy disk...

I didn't design the XP Install routine, I'm just a victim here!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2004 10:49:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have done this exactly once on an Asus P4P800 (Intel 865PE based) system.

It needed no additional drivers to install XP on a SATA drive connected to
the chipset's SATA controller. It went similarly to installing on a PATA
drive, although I had a little trouble with drive letters. (I'd have trouble
reproducing the process, but I eventually got the boot drive to be c:.)

Things may be different if using an add-on SATA controller, like the Promise
or SI controllers used on some mainboards.

Since then, I've gone to RAID 0. I've used the F6 process to install the
drivers from a floppy.

If you will not use a floppy, I expect that the most satisfactory way to do
it would be to "slipstream" the drivers onto a copy of the XP CD. That's
beyond my knowledge.

HTH.

Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1bdf74c6c4ed1c87989771@news.usenetserver.com...
> I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
> drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
> so that I can install the OS?
>
October 21, 2004 7:03:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Slipstreaming" is a pretty intense procedure for the average PC user. It's
really a rewarding experience when you've successfully completed a cd via
slipstreaming. Following is site where Paul Thurrott explains in great
detail how to create a an installation cd that has Service Pack 2
incorporated right into it. You can pretty much add any other files you may
need as well. If you decide to do this you MUST follow every word and every
detail EXACTLY as he instructs you. I say this because I finally go it right
on the third try after thinking I could make some minor adjustments of my
own (DUH).
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

Good luck and HTH, Rob.

PS You may have to copy and paste the link into your browsers address bar.

"Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1bdf74c6c4ed1c87989771@news.usenetserver.com...
> I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
> drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
> so that I can install the OS?
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2004 8:22:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1bdf74c6c4ed1c87989771@news.usenetserver.com...
>> I'm building my new computer with only a 200 gig SATA drive (no IDE hard
>> drive). My XP boot CD only has SP1 on it, will it "see" the SATA drive
>> so that I can install the OS?


"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
news:cCUdd.4434$lp6.372@okepread01...
> "Slipstreaming" is a pretty intense procedure for the average PC user.
> It's really a rewarding experience when you've successfully completed a cd
> via slipstreaming. Following is site where Paul Thurrott explains in great
> detail how to create a an installation cd that has Service Pack 2
> incorporated right into it. You can pretty much add any other files you
> may need as well. If you decide to do this you MUST follow every word and
> every detail EXACTLY as he instructs you. I say this because I finally go
> it right on the third try after thinking I could make some minor
> adjustments of my own (DUH).
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...
>
> Good luck and HTH, Rob.
>
> PS You may have to copy and paste the link into your browsers address bar.

Rob:
I'm not certain your response is relevant to the OP's query, but since I
haven't worked with SATA drives, I'll confine my remarks to the basic
subject of your response, i.e., slipstreaming XP together with its Service
Pack(s).

The AutoStreamer program, which you may not be familiar with, will
accomplish the slipstreaming in a considerably easier way than the method
described in the Thurrott and similar sites that use the same method. It's a
freebie and can be downloaded from ...
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-183.shtml

It really makes slipstreaming almost fun, it's so easy. Try it and see what
you think.

Art
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2004 6:14:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <nZwdd.161195$He1.126209@attbi_s01>, jrweiss98155
@.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
> "Bad Bubba" <bad@bubba.com> wrote...
> >>
> >> Yes. You may have to supply a SATA driver on floppy disk, if one is included
> >> with the MoBo.
> >
> > Hmmm... No floppy supplied with the motherboard, just a driver CD. And
> > no floppy drive in the system (I haven't used a 'floppy' in almost 3
> > years now).
>
> Then you may have to beg/borrow/steal a USB floppy drive and copy the drivers
> from the CD to a floppy disk...
>
> I didn't design the XP Install routine, I'm just a victim here!

I got it working by installing XP on an IDE drive with the drivers and
then "ghosting" the OS over to the SATA drive. Everything is working
perfectly now.

--Dave
!