Jumping wireless Connections

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 8, 2005 2:20:16 AM

Hello all,
Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
connections?
I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My laptop
(Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is unsecured
and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose my
network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone have
any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping, at
random, to other networks?
I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
staying connected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greg

--
Greg Sisk, RCDD
ShoreGroup, Inc.

turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.

"Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
> connections?
> I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My laptop
> (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
> then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is unsecured
> and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose
> my
> network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
> have
> any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping, at
> random, to other networks?
> I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
> the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
> staying connected?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Greg
>

> --
> Greg Sisk, RCDD
> ShoreGroup, Inc.
> 460 West 35th Street
> New York, NY 10001
> 212-364-6758 - Office
> 212-736-3369 - Fax
> 347-804-6223 - Cell

July 10, 2005 2:05:02 PM

Hi, how do I do that?

"Dave" wrote:

> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>
> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> > Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
> > connections?
> > I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My laptop
> > (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
> > then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is unsecured
> > and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose
> > my
> > network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
> > have
> > any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping, at
> > random, to other networks?
> > I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
> > the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
> > staying connected?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Greg
> >

> > --
> > Greg Sisk, RCDD
> > ShoreGroup, Inc.
> > 460 West 35th Street
> > New York, NY 10001
> > 212-364-6758 - Office
> > 212-736-3369 - Fax
> > 347-804-6223 - Cell

Related resources
July 11, 2005 10:52:53 AM

Dave/Stephanie,
That did not solve the problem.
I updated to SP2 and still get the WLAN disconnecting every 5-10 mins as
Windows locates other networks.
I have checked the channels and they are on the same channel.
Still working on this problem.
Greg

"Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, how do I do that?
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>>
>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all,
>> > Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
>> > connections?
>> > I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My
>> > laptop
>> > (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes
>> > that
>> > then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is
>> > unsecured
>> > and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I
>> > lose
>> > my
>> > network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
>> > have
>> > any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping,
>> > at
>> > random, to other networks?
>> > I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect
>> > the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
>> > staying connected?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Greg
>> >

>> > --
>> > Greg Sisk, RCDD
>> > ShoreGroup, Inc.
>> > 460 West 35th Street
>> > New York, NY 10001
>> > 212-364-6758 - Office
>> > 212-736-3369 - Fax
>> > 347-804-6223 - Cell

July 11, 2005 3:49:15 PM

go into the setup for the access point and enable ssid broadcast. if your
access point is not broadcasting it's ssid then xp will abandon it in favor
of a point that is broadcasting. i can't tell you how to do it other than
to read the manual as each access point has its own way of doing setup.

> Dave/Stephanie,
> That did not solve the problem.
> I updated to SP2 and still get the WLAN disconnecting every 5-10 mins as
> Windows locates other networks.
> I have checked the channels and they are on the same channel.
> Still working on this problem.
> Greg
>
> "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, how do I do that?
>>
>> "Dave" wrote:
>>
>>> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>>>
>>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

July 11, 2005 4:45:04 PM

Dave,
It is broadcasting SSID. ( I followed your advice an checked. It has been on
the whole time.)
Maybe I can make it broadcast it very loudly?? (just kidding)

I am wondering if the Microsoft WLAN access point is the problem. (it's a
combo WAP and Switch.)
I don't get this problem anywhere else (on either a Cisco or Lynksys WLAN)
I though windows XP SP2 might help. did the huge download thing but I still
am not able to lock windows in on one WLAN when I am at home. In your
opinion, is there better PC software for controlling the WLAN connection? I
work with someone who uses Boingo but I am not sure if that will help.

Thanks for your answers!
Greg

"Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> go into the setup for the access point and enable ssid broadcast. if your
> access point is not broadcasting it's ssid then xp will abandon it in
> favor of a point that is broadcasting. i can't tell you how to do it
> other than to read the manual as each access point has its own way of
> doing setup.
>
> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dave/Stephanie,
>> That did not solve the problem.
>> I updated to SP2 and still get the WLAN disconnecting every 5-10 mins as
>> Windows locates other networks.
>> I have checked the channels and they are on the same channel.
>> Still working on this problem.
>> Greg
>>
>> "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, how do I do that?

July 11, 2005 9:08:22 PM

i don't know anything else, just use xp's wzc here... but i'm out in the
sticks so don't have to worry about competition. you can try changing
channels... also change the name of your access point so its unique. do you
have it secured? i think wzc prefers a secure connection over an unsecured
one.

"Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o tLLkfjhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Dave,
> It is broadcasting SSID. ( I followed your advice an checked. It has been
> on the whole time.)
> Maybe I can make it broadcast it very loudly?? (just kidding)
>
> I am wondering if the Microsoft WLAN access point is the problem. (it's a
> combo WAP and Switch.)
> I don't get this problem anywhere else (on either a Cisco or Lynksys WLAN)
> I though windows XP SP2 might help. did the huge download thing but I
> still am not able to lock windows in on one WLAN when I am at home. In
> your opinion, is there better PC software for controlling the WLAN
> connection? I work with someone who uses Boingo but I am not sure if that
> will help.
>
> Thanks for your answers!
> Greg
>

> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> go into the setup for the access point and enable ssid broadcast. if
>> your access point is not broadcasting it's ssid then xp will abandon it
>> in favor of a point that is broadcasting. i can't tell you how to do it
>> other than to read the manual as each access point has its own way of
>> doing setup.
>>
>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Dave/Stephanie,
>>> That did not solve the problem.
>>> I updated to SP2 and still get the WLAN disconnecting every 5-10 mins
>>> as Windows locates other networks.
>>> I have checked the channels and they are on the same channel.
>>> Still working on this problem.
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:44:54 PM

Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for security
reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.

> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>
> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
>> connections?
>> I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My
>> laptop
>> (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
>> then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is
>> unsecured
>> and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose
>> my
>> network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
>> have
>> any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping,
>> at
>> random, to other networks?
>> I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect to
>> the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
>> staying connected?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Greg
>>

>> --
>> Greg Sisk, RCDD
>> ShoreGroup, Inc.
>> 460 West 35th Street
>> New York, NY 10001
>> 212-364-6758 - Office
>> 212-736-3369 - Fax
>> 347-804-6223 - Cell

August 14, 2005 2:44:55 PM

PJB wrote:

> Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for
> security reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.

Turning off SSID provides no security at all. See:

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

why would you turn ssid broadcast off. it does not improve the security of
the network and breaks the wzc service and maybe other services that expect
to see periodic broadcasts.

"PJB" <pbanks@quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message
> Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for security
> reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.
>
> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>>
>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>> Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
>>> connections?
>>> I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My
>>> laptop
>>> (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
>>> then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is
>>> unsecured
>>> and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose
>>> my
>>> network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
>>> have
>>> any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping,
>>> at
>>> random, to other networks?
>>> I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect
>>> the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
>>> staying connected?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Greg
>>>

>>> --
>>> Greg Sisk, RCDD
>>> ShoreGroup, Inc.
>>> 460 West 35th Street
>>> New York, NY 10001
>>> 212-364-6758 - Office
>>> 212-736-3369 - Fax
>>> 347-804-6223 - Cell

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 1:57:30 PM

Did you ever get the jumping solved? I can only see the last 3 messages on
this thread. I'm having the same problem.
Ed

> Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for security
> reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.
>
> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>>
>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>> Anybody have a problem with their PC jumping to different wireless
>>> connections?
>>> I have this Microsoft 54Mbs wireless access point and WLAN card. My
>>> laptop
>>> (Windows XP Pro) will sync to my network and work for a few minutes that
>>> then attempt to connect to a neighbors Lynsys network (Theirs is
>>> unsecured
>>> and not reliably connected to the net.) This is quite annoying as I lose
>>> my
>>> network connection every 5 mins or so while using the wireless. Anyone
>>> have
>>> any ideas how to force windows to stay on one WLAN rather than jumping,
>>> at
>>> random, to other networks?
>>> I am using the standard windows WLAN software to configure and connect
>>> the WLAN. IS there possibly a better driver/program for connecting and
>>> staying connected?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Greg
>>>

>>> --
>>> Greg Sisk, RCDD
>>> ShoreGroup, Inc.
>>> 460 West 35th Street
>>> New York, NY 10001
>>> 212-364-6758 - Office
>>> 212-736-3369 - Fax
>>> 347-804-6223 - Cell

August 20, 2005 6:25:25 PM

turn on ssid broadcast. it doesn't affect security, but it does cause
windows to drop the connection in favor of another access point that is
broadcasting.

"Ed Finley" <edf@edfinley.net> wrote in message
> Did you ever get the jumping solved? I can only see the last 3 messages
> on this thread. I'm having the same problem.
> Ed
>

> "PJB" <pbanks@quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for security
>> reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.
>>
>> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> turn ssid broadcast back on in your access point.
>>>
>>> "Greg" <gmsisk@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:25:26 PM

SSID is on. Where does windows XP keep the information on order of
networks? I can't find it in the registry, but in the setup menu's I have
mine above the one it keeps jumping to. I've tried to disable the other
SSID but it keeps connecting anyway. I'm guessing there's somewhere I can
force it to only connect to the one I want.
Ed
> turn on ssid broadcast. it doesn't affect security, but it does cause
> windows to drop the connection in favor of another access point that is
> broadcasting.
>
> "Ed Finley" <edf@edfinley.net> wrote in message
>> Did you ever get the jumping solved? I can only see the last 3 messages
>> on this thread. I'm having the same problem.
>> Ed
>>

>> "PJB" <pbanks@quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message
>>> Why would you turn SSID on? It's better not to have it on for security
>>> reasons. It doesn't affect his current problem at all.
>>>
>>> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

August 24, 2005 7:05:56 AM

Have you tried changing the "other" network to "manual" instead of auto?

!