Plz help check my parts for first PC build..

Hi.
I'm about to order all the parts to attempt to build myself a new PC
Would really appreciate some help!! Please..
I'm really worried about a few things, mainly, will everything be
compatible, especially the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HDD.
I'm also worried about what cables i may need, and if I have everything for
the BFG graphics card that I'm planning to get.
The system requirements for it are confusing me as to whether i will need to
order extra cables etc, and even get a bigger PSU.

BFG System Requirements:
A minimum 480W system power supply, An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant,
motherboard. Some motherboards violate the AGP specification and therefore
this card may not physically fit in some systems. A vacant PCI slot adjacent
to the AGP slot. This board occupies two slots: one AGP and one PCI. Two
available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector
is not sufficient).

For instance, it says 2 available hard disk drive power dongles?? Where do I
order these from? or will they be included with my PSU?
Also, will my Mother board be AGP 2.0 compliant?
-
The parts i have ready to order:

Motherboard:
Abit AV8 SKT939 K8T800PRO 800FSB 8xAGP SATA Sound GIG LAN Retail Box
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64800
More info here:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=175

PSU
Antec PSU True Blue 480w Blue Led Fan
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43567
Will it be powerful enough and have enough cables for the BFG and everything
else???

MEMORY
I'll be getting this: Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) DIMM (Kit
2)
From:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49296
As far as i can see, it will be compatible with the motherboard.

CASE
The case I will be getting is this: Antec Plusview 1000 4x5.25 5x3.5 ATX
Tower Case with Side Window
From here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=44356
It says compliant for AMD so i'm hoping it will be ok.

CPU
Athlon 64 3500+ S939 512Kb Box
From here:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=36T4&searchphrase=athlon%2064%203500#

HDD
Western Digital WD2000JD 200GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55240

Cables so far:
1x Belkin Serial ATA 2.0 7-pin Cable - Red 18" for the hard drive. Will i
need any more?
1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable

I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
more..

By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it support
dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of my
existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?

Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band, windows
xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
most important.

Many many thanks for any help.
If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

Chris
8 answers Last reply
More about check parts build

    "Chris" <picturesofengland(on spami)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
    > 1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable
    >
    > I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
    > more..
    >
    > By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it
    > support
    > dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
    > Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of
    > my
    > existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?
    >
    > Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band,
    > windows
    > xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
    > most important.
    >
    > Many many thanks for any help.
    > If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

    Your power supply should have anywhere from about 6 - 9 connectors for hard
    drives (along with several other connectors for SATA, floppy, motherboard,
    etc.). If your video card really uses TWO hard drive style connectors, that
    will leave you a couple of extra power connectors, even after you connect
    your hard drive(s) and optical drive(s). (you have plenty of
    connectors/dongles on your power supply)

    Your power supply comes with a power cord. Your motherboard comes with SATA
    (data) connectors. Your power supply has SATA power connectors.

    Basically, you shouldn't have to order ANY cables separately, unless you
    want to.

    If you get an optical drive, it will most likely be IDE format, but your
    motherboard comes with THAT data cable, also.

    In short, all the cables you NEED will come with your power supply and/or
    your motherboard. You can always dress things up a bit by buying round IDE
    cable or certain color cables or whatever. But to just have a working
    system, you should be all set.

    On-board sound is a lot better than it used to be . . . some would even call
    it tolerable now. :) Your motherboard has connectors for 5.1 speakers, as
    well as digital IN and OUT. That right there tells me you should TRY the
    on-board sound to start with. If you don't like it, you can always get a
    Turtle Beach card for about $30 or so to replace it later.

    Your motherboard has (4) USB 2.0 ports built in (will be accessible from the
    back of the case). The motherboard also comes with a USB 2.0 expansion
    bracket. It also probably has USB 2.0 headers to attach your CASE to (front
    ports). You will have plenty of USB ports. You'll probably end up with six
    in the rear and two in the front of the case. :)

    Basically, you are all set. You really don't need to worry about ordering
    any cables at all. -Dave

    Chris,

    You have quite a list, so I'll be brief.

    The "dongles" are the Molex power connectors used by ordinary IDE hard
    drives, CD drives, etc. You'll have lots of them on the cables from your
    power supply.

    If the BFG card you're buying has 2, I assume that it's a Geforce 6800
    Ultra. (That's confirmed by the statement that it fills the first PCI slot.)
    I think that BFG would ask that the two Molex connectors be from different
    power cables off the supply.

    (My own card is a PNY 6800GT. It has a single Molex connector. I've added an
    aftermarket cooler to it, http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40. The
    combination was approx. $65 US cheaper than an Ultra, and I've overclocked
    it to 410 MHz core /1100 MHz RAM, or slightly above stock Ultra specs.)

    The Antec 480W supply ought to be sufficient, as it makes 22A on the +12V
    line. (I'm using a Thermaltake 420W supply, rated at 18A on +12V.) The Antec
    supply probably provides more useful current than some off-brand supplies
    that cite higher total power ratings.

    The 6800 Ultra will be entirely compatible with your AV8, which is an AGP
    3.0 (AGP 8X) board. There should be plenty of room in the Antec case for the
    graphics card. I have an Antec Super Lanboy case, and my 6800GT fits in
    that, although there is not a lot of excess space.

    I don't have an AV8. Mine is an Asus A8V. (Good thing I'm not dyslexic.)
    Both boards use the same Via chipset. I've had good luck with the A8V for
    the short time I've had it (less than a month). Some sites
    (www.anandtech.com) recommend the MSI Neo2 Platinum (nVidia nForce 3 ultra
    chipset) as the fastest Socket 939 board, but I stayed with Asus. The AV8 is
    supposed to be a good board, though, and may be a better value than the Asus
    board.

    You should get most of the cables you need in the retail mainboard package.
    I don't know about the UK, but the Abit North American site lists a couple
    of SATA cables, a round ATA133 cable, and a round floppy cable. (I like
    those better than the flat ribbon cables Asus supplied.) If you use more
    than two IDE drives (or want each IDE drive to be on its own controller),
    you may want to buy another IDE cable.

    The onboard sound ought to do 5.1 surround. If you really want to know,
    download the manual from Abit. It's an Adobe Acrobat document. (The Asus
    board's onboard sound supports a 7.1 system. As I have analog 5.1 speakers,
    I've stayed with my semi-old Audigy 2 sound card, hoping to spare a CPU
    cycle or two.) You may find that your onboard sound is better than adequate.

    Dunno about the RAM. I'm using an unmatched pair of generic PC3200 DDR
    (Samsung chips), purchased months apart. They work fine, as verified by the
    Windows memory diagnostic (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp). I was
    either lucky, or the K8T800Pro boards aren't fussy about RAM.

    I have a A64 3500+ myself. It's a good choice. My only comment is to be
    careful about pricing. At least here in the US, AMD prices have dropped over
    the past few days. It is also possible now to get slower Socket 939 CPUs
    than the 3500+, although I believe that the 3500+ is at a pretty good
    price/performance point.

    For my own hard drive, I'm using a pair of WD1600JD drives in RAID 0. I
    don't know whether RAID 0 is worthwhile, but it's easy enough to use. I know
    little about the performance of the drives, but they are quiet enough. The
    WD Raptor drives (10,000 RPM) seem to be the benchmark champions, but their
    cost per gigabyte is very high compared to the Caviar drives. The Seagate
    7200.7 series might be worth a look, if only because Seagate has a 5 year
    warranty (at least in the US). Some Seagate drives also support NCQ (native
    command queuing), although I don't think you'd get that on a K8T800Pro
    system.

    I get the impression that you are building your first system. If so,
    congratulations. You've made no bad choices, in my opinion.

    Bob Knowlden

> [...]
    > 1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
    > 1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable
    >
    > I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
    > more..
    >
    > By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it
    > support
    > dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
    > Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of
    > my
    > existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?
    >
    > Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band,
    > windows
    > xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
    > most important.
    >
    > Many many thanks for any help.
    > If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

    I've been where your are. The first one is a little scary, then, if all goes
    right it gets easier. The Antec case is really nice and should have all the
    power connections you need, with extras. I couldn't get much info on the
    motherboard, but retail boards usually come with lots of ribbon and sata
    cables, adapters etc. Oh, the case has front usb and firewire ports,you just
    connect them to headers on the motherboard. I'm not familiar with AMD based
    stuff so I'll end here. Have fun!!!
> [...]
    > 1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
    > 1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable
    >
    > I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
    > more..
    >
    > By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it
    support
    > dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
    > Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of
    my
    > existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?
    >
    > Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band,
    windows
    > xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
    > most important.
    >
    > Many many thanks for any help.
    > If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

    My mistake, most Antec cases come with psu's. The blue 480 (excellent
    choice) will have all the power connectors you need
> [...]
    > 1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
    > 1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable
    >
    > I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
    > more..
    >
    > By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it
    support
    > dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
    > Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of
    my
    > existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?
    >
    > Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band,
    windows
    > xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
    > most important.
    >
    > Many many thanks for any help.
    > If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

    Hi
    Many thanks for the info. All components should be arriving tomorrow with
    luck. Am a little apprehensive but excited at same time. Cant wait to build
    it and then test it out.
    The only thing I'm now not sure about is, should I order a fan/ heatsink etc
    for the CPU? Or will the cpu package contain all that too??
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2519227754&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=63121

    Many thanks for your time,

    Chris
    www.picturesofengland.com

    > Hi
    > Many thanks for the info. All components should be arriving tomorrow with
    > luck. Am a little apprehensive but excited at same time. Cant wait to
    > build
    > it and then test it out.
    > The only thing I'm now not sure about is, should I order a fan/ heatsink
    > etc
    > for the CPU? Or will the cpu package contain all that too??
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2519227754&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=63121

    That appears to be a retail boxed processor. If so, then a proper heatsink
    and fan will be in the box with the processor. -Dave

    Hi
    I just want to say to everyone thanks for all the info and checking my
    components. I feel a lot easier about it all now.
    Should all arrive tomorrow hopefully. Cant wait!

    Many thanks again,

    Chris
    www.picturesofengland.com

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    call
    > it tolerable now. :) Your motherboard has connectors for 5.1 speakers,
    as
    > well as digital IN and OUT. That right there tells me you should TRY the
    > on-board sound to start with. If you don't like it, you can always get a
    > Turtle Beach card for about $30 or so to replace it later.
    >
    > Your motherboard has (4) USB 2.0 ports built in (will be accessible from
    the
    > back of the case). The motherboard also comes with a USB 2.0 expansion
    > bracket. It also probably has USB 2.0 headers to attach your CASE to
    (front
    > ports). You will have plenty of USB ports. You'll probably end up with
    six
    > in the rear and two in the front of the case. :)
    >
    > Basically, you are all set. You really don't need to worry about ordering

    I put it to you, , that on Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:16:57 +0000 (UTC) you did
    state the following;
    > Hi.
    > I'm about to order all the parts to attempt to build myself a new PC
    > Would really appreciate some help!! Please..
    > I'm really worried about a few things, mainly, will everything be
    > compatible, especially the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HDD.
    > I'm also worried about what cables i may need, and if I have everything for
    > the BFG graphics card that I'm planning to get.
    > The system requirements for it are confusing me as to whether i will need to
    > order extra cables etc, and even get a bigger PSU.
    >
    > BFG System Requirements:
    > A minimum 480W system power supply, An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant,

    Enjoy the new pc - remember to take your time and don't try to rush
    while building it. Learn from my mistake (burnt-out motherboard because
    graphics card wasn't properly seated!)

    --
    Kenchie
    <insert unfunny tagline here>