I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM

Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this

On 20 Oct 2004 16:20:11 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
then ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame) wrote :

>I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
>I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
>is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM
>
>Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this

Are you copying from one to the other?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

"Gimmyagame" <ross_darren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
> I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
> is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM
>
> Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this

What up with that? 4xDVD takes about 15 mins. 8x DVD takes around 8-9
mins. what are you using to burn? Even at 2x you should take less than 40
mins?

"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message news:<cl6u7h$nb0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> "Gimmyagame" <ross_darren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
> > I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
> > is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM
> >
> > Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this
>

> What up with that? 4xDVD takes about 15 mins. 8x DVD takes around 8-9
> mins. what are you using to burn? Even at 2x you should take less than 40
> mins?

i use Roxio platnun v5 for Data or music and i use dvd decrypter for
movies. The BENQ ran around 1.3x max my new SONY runs at an avg of
0.9x It doesnt seem to be related to the software. No this is from the
HD to the Burner.

Thanks again

On 21 Oct 2004 03:31:54 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
then ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame) wrote :

>"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message news:<cl6u7h$nb0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
>> "Gimmyagame" <ross_darren@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
>> > I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
>> > is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM
>> >
>> > Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this
>>

>> What up with that? 4xDVD takes about 15 mins. 8x DVD takes around 8-9
>> mins. what are you using to burn? Even at 2x you should take less than 40
>> mins?
>

>i use Roxio platnun v5 for Data or music and i use dvd decrypter for
>movies. The BENQ ran around 1.3x max my new SONY runs at an avg of
>0.9x It doesnt seem to be related to the software. No this is from the
>HD to the Burner.
>
>Thanks again

Check that all your drives are using(U)DMA mode.
The small free,"Nero Info Tool" can be run from within the .zip file
and it's configuration Tab will tell you loads about your hard
drives/DVD and CDR drives,
http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html

If nay of your drives are not using DMA it will cause major
slowdowns.What operating system are you using?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<vv0gn051mdh20t71rd3t2tloj8sb4r6uvu@4ax.com>...
> On 21 Oct 2004 03:31:54 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
> then ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame) wrote :
>
> >"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message news:<cl6u7h$nb0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> >> "Gimmyagame" <ross_darren@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> What up with that? 4xDVD takes about 15 mins. 8x DVD takes around 8-9
> >> mins. what are you using to burn? Even at 2x you should take less than 40
> >> mins?
> >

> >i use Roxio platnun v5 for Data or music and i use dvd decrypter for
> >movies. The BENQ ran around 1.3x max my new SONY runs at an avg of
> >0.9x It doesnt seem to be related to the software. No this is from the
> >HD to the Burner.
> >
> >Thanks again
>
> Check that all your drives are using(U)DMA mode.
> The small free,"Nero Info Tool" can be run from within the .zip file
> and it's configuration Tab will tell you loads about your hard
> drives/DVD and CDR drives,
> http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
>
> If nay of your drives are not using DMA it will cause major
> slowdowns.What operating system are you using?

I was not on DMA, didnt know, MUCH FASTER Thanks

On 21 Oct 2004 16:29:58 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
then ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame) wrote :

>Shep© <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<vv0gn051mdh20t71rd3t2tloj8sb4r6uvu@4ax.com>...
>> On 21 Oct 2004 03:31:54 -0700 There I was minding my own business and
>> then ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame) wrote :

>> >i use Roxio platnun v5 for Data or music and i use dvd decrypter for
>> >movies. The BENQ ran around 1.3x max my new SONY runs at an avg of
>> >0.9x It doesnt seem to be related to the software. No this is from the
>> >HD to the Burner.
>> >
>> >Thanks again
>>
>> Check that all your drives are using(U)DMA mode.
>> The small free,"Nero Info Tool" can be run from within the .zip file
>> and it's configuration Tab will tell you loads about your hard
>> drives/DVD and CDR drives,
>> http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
>>
>> If nay of your drives are not using DMA it will cause major
>> slowdowns.What operating system are you using?
>
>I was not on DMA, didnt know, MUCH FASTER Thanks

Nice one :p

--

On 20 Oct 2004 16:20:11 -0700, ross_darren@hotmail.com (Gimmyagame)
wrote:

>I had a 4x BENQ DVD burner and it took roughly 40 min to burn a movie.
>I bought a new SONY 8x burner and now it takes 55 min + why? My comp
>is a 1 Gig with 320 MB of RAM and a 60 Gig HD at 7200 RPM
>
>Thanks for any insight and or tips to improve this

First check to see if your drive is running in DMA mode. If it
isn't, your buffer level is probably jumping all over the place during
the burn because the buffer's running out, and the underrun protection
is kicking in (that slows down things). Another symptom is that CPU
utilization shoots up when you're burning, making your system crawl.

Could also be the cable you're using. While I think optical drives
should be slow enough that a 40conductor cable should be adequate, it
probably couldn't hurt if an 80 conductor cable was used.

Try using different media. Many modern drives will slow to a crawl if
it sees media it can't recognize.

MCheu

Scott

>>> Check that all your drives are using(U)DMA mode.
>>> The small free,"Nero Info Tool" can be run from within the .zip file
>>> and it's configuration Tab will tell you loads about your hard
>>> drives/DVD and CDR drives,
>>> http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
>>>
>>> If nay of your drives are not using DMA it will cause major
>>> slowdowns.What operating system are you using?

I was gonna suggest that! I'm going to have to be quicker off the mark next
time! lol

Scott

TRENDING THREADS