Question on store bought PC

I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
that does.
I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
opinions from you guys.
thanks,
geo
11 answers Last reply
More about question store bought

    "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
    > Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
    > There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    > someone
    > that does.
    > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
    > opinions from you guys.
    > thanks,
    > geo

    FYI, Dell is having incredible closeouts. Keep an eye out for coupons. I've
    never had a Dell, but the prices are crazy low.

    George wrote:
    > I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
    > Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
    > There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
    > that does.
    > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
    > opinions from you guys.
    > thanks,
    > geo

    I don't know if they have improved the design since I worked on one,
    but they used to be very underpowered with regard to the PS. Of course
    the PS was a proprietary design as well! Proprietary design of
    components is not unusual for all the ready made brands, so look
    carefully at that aspect before you buy.

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
    >Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
    >There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
    >that does.
    >I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
    >opinions from you guys.
    >thanks,
    >geo

    I always buy Dells for my clients.

    So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
    bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
    gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
    day.

    They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
    components here)

    HTH

    Harry

    My sister bought an e machine 3 years ago.......been working great for
    the kids and her teaching lessons that she produces and surfing. The
    video and sound are all integrated and the down side is that the video
    shares system ram and is VERY low end.

    "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
    interest.
    > Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
    emachines.
    > There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    someone
    > that does.
    > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
    some
    > opinions from you guys.
    > thanks,
    > geo

    George:
    > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
    > some opinions from you guys.

    I had an emachine for about 2 weeks, I bought it from one neighbor and
    sold it to another. It worked perfectly fine for those two weeks. You just
    have to understand that you are not getting a 'bargain', you are getting a
    cheap computer. Their customer service is another matter... anyone can
    sell you something that works and every company occasionally has a lemon,
    the difference is what they do about the lemon:

    I own a Dell because I was working 70-80 hrs/wk and didn't have time to
    build my own. I have a lot of experience with Dell through work and I
    highly recommend them. No one sells a better value than Dell but you have
    to understand that their value models will not offer much upgrade
    potential and are not very flexible. Know what you are buying.

    If you are willing to spend over $1500 then there are alternatives.
    --
    Mac Cool

    "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
    > Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
    > There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    > someone
    > that does.
    > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
    > opinions from you guys.
    > thanks,
    > geo

    I have an eMachines here and to tell you the truth i would stay away from
    them if i were you.
    The cd-rw drive in it is pants! Sometimes it will write and sometimes it
    won't, just depends what mood it's in.

    Like another poster i would go for a Dell. If i had known the trouble i was
    going to have with this one (in work) i would have gone elsewhere. Never
    again!

    Scott

    Mac Cool wrote:

    > George:
    > > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
    > > some opinions from you guys.
    >
    > I had an emachine for about 2 weeks, I bought it from one neighbor and
    > sold it to another. It worked perfectly fine for those two weeks. You just
    > have to understand that you are not getting a 'bargain', you are getting a
    > cheap computer. Their customer service is another matter... anyone can
    > sell you something that works and every company occasionally has a lemon,
    > the difference is what they do about the lemon:
    > http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1195.html

    Why didn't you post a link to the ratings page for Dell as well? Dell's rating
    isn't that much better.

    > I own a Dell because I was working 70-80 hrs/wk and didn't have time to
    > build my own. I have a lot of experience with Dell through work and I
    > highly recommend them. No one sells a better value than Dell

    Many who sell systems with an AMD processor provide better value.

    "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
    >>interest.
    >>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
    >>emachines.
    >>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    >>someone
    >>that does.
    >>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
    >>some
    >>opinions from you guys.
    >>thanks,
    >>geo
    >>

    > I always buy Dells for my clients.
    >
    > So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
    > bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
    > gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
    > day.
    >
    > They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
    > components here)

    Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
    Computer Business???????

    "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

    > "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
    >>>interest.
    >>>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
    >>>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    >>>someone
    >>>that does.
    >>>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
    >>>opinions from you guys.
    >>>thanks,
    >>>geo
    >>>

    >> I always buy Dells for my clients.
    >>
    >> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
    >> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
    >> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
    >> day.
    >>
    >> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
    >> components here)
    >
    > Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
    > Computer Business???????
    I tried that several months ago. I needed an 80 wire IDE cable in a hurry.
    He charged me 16 dollars. I don't expect to be going back.

    PWY

    "PWY" <pyork22@*mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message

    >>> I always buy Dells for my clients.
    >>>
    >>> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
    >>> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
    >>> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
    >>> day.
    >>>
    >>> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
    >>> components here)
    >>
    >> Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
    >> Computer Business???????
    > I tried that several months ago. I needed an 80 wire IDE cable in a
    > hurry. He charged me 16 dollars. I don't expect to be going back.

    I wouldn't either, when I was involved in the business we usually
    just gave them one. They always came back to buy.

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:14:46 GMT, "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

    >"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
    >>>interest.
    >>>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
    >>>emachines.
    >>>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
    >>>someone
    >>>that does.
    >>>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
    >>>some
    >>>opinions from you guys.
    >>>thanks,
    >>>geo
    >>>

    >> I always buy Dells for my clients.
    >>
    >> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
    >> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
    >> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
    >> day.
    >>
    >> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
    >> components here)
    >
    >Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
    >Computer Business???????

    I would if they were cheaper. I was after a 40Gig hard drive and they
    wanted to charge £68 (I got it from Ebuyer for £30)

    I also noted that they were selling a laughable Celeron PC for £300
    (Dell was selling a good spec £300 P4-3000 PC)

    Enough said.....

    Harry

Homebuilt Systems