Question on store bought PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 21, 2004 3:36:03 AM

I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
that does.
I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
opinions from you guys.
thanks,
geo

More about : question store bought

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2004 3:36:04 AM

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D DCdd.12728$JS4.6824@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
> Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
> There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
> someone
> that does.
> I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
> opinions from you guys.
> thanks,
> geo

FYI, Dell is having incredible closeouts. Keep an eye out for coupons. I've
never had a Dell, but the prices are crazy low.
October 21, 2004 5:18:40 AM

George wrote:
> I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
> Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
> There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
> that does.
> I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
> opinions from you guys.
> thanks,
> geo

I don't know if they have improved the design since I worked on one,
but they used to be very underpowered with regard to the PS. Of course
the PS was a proprietary design as well! Proprietary design of
components is not unusual for all the ready made brands, so look
carefully at that aspect before you buy.
Related resources
October 21, 2004 1:26:06 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
wrote:

>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows someone
>that does.
>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
>opinions from you guys.
>thanks,
>geo

I always buy Dells for my clients.

So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
day.

They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
components here)

HTH

Harry
October 22, 2004 11:24:08 AM

My sister bought an e machine 3 years ago.......been working great for
the kids and her teaching lessons that she produces and surfing. The
video and sound are all integrated and the down side is that the video
shares system ram and is VERY low end.

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D DCdd.12728$JS4.6824@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
interest.
> Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
emachines.
> There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
someone
> that does.
> I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
some
> opinions from you guys.
> thanks,
> geo

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2004 6:20:48 PM

George:
> I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
> some opinions from you guys.

I had an emachine for about 2 weeks, I bought it from one neighbor and
sold it to another. It worked perfectly fine for those two weeks. You just
have to understand that you are not getting a 'bargain', you are getting a
cheap computer. Their customer service is another matter... anyone can
sell you something that works and every company occasionally has a lemon,
the difference is what they do about the lemon:

I own a Dell because I was working 70-80 hrs/wk and didn't have time to
build my own. I have a lot of experience with Dell through work and I
highly recommend them. No one sells a better value than Dell but you have
to understand that their value models will not offer much upgrade
potential and are not very flexible. Know what you are buying.

If you are willing to spend over $1500 then there are alternatives.
--
Mac Cool
October 22, 2004 7:20:02 PM

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D DCdd.12728$JS4.6824@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no interest.
> Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
> There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
> someone
> that does.
> I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
> opinions from you guys.
> thanks,
> geo

I have an eMachines here and to tell you the truth i would stay away from
them if i were you.
The cd-rw drive in it is pants! Sometimes it will write and sometimes it
won't, just depends what mood it's in.

Like another poster i would go for a Dell. If i had known the trouble i was
going to have with this one (in work) i would have gone elsewhere. Never
again!

Scott
October 22, 2004 9:23:46 PM

Mac Cool wrote:

> George:
> > I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
> > some opinions from you guys.
>
> I had an emachine for about 2 weeks, I bought it from one neighbor and
> sold it to another. It worked perfectly fine for those two weeks. You just
> have to understand that you are not getting a 'bargain', you are getting a
> cheap computer. Their customer service is another matter... anyone can
> sell you something that works and every company occasionally has a lemon,
> the difference is what they do about the lemon:
> http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1195.html

Why didn't you post a link to the ratings page for Dell as well? Dell's rating
isn't that much better.

> I own a Dell because I was working 70-80 hrs/wk and didn't have time to
> build my own. I have a lot of experience with Dell through work and I
> highly recommend them. No one sells a better value than Dell

Many who sell systems with an AMD processor provide better value.

> but you have
> to understand that their value models will not offer much upgrade
> potential and are not very flexible. Know what you are buying.
>
> If you are willing to spend over $1500 then there are alternatives.
> --
> Mac Cool
October 22, 2004 10:14:46 PM

"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
news:D gsen01d89ppb3c7i992s49uhl3dcc18v6@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
>>interest.
>>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
>>emachines.
>>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
>>someone
>>that does.
>>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
>>some
>>opinions from you guys.
>>thanks,
>>geo
>>

> I always buy Dells for my clients.
>
> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
> day.
>
> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
> components here)

Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
Computer Business???????
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2004 1:25:11 AM

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
> news:D gsen01d89ppb3c7i992s49uhl3dcc18v6@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
>>>interest.
>>>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on emachines.
>>>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
>>>someone
>>>that does.
>>>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are some
>>>opinions from you guys.
>>>thanks,
>>>geo
>>>

>> I always buy Dells for my clients.
>>
>> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
>> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
>> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
>> day.
>>
>> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
>> components here)
>
> Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
> Computer Business???????
I tried that several months ago. I needed an 80 wire IDE cable in a hurry.
He charged me 16 dollars. I don't expect to be going back.

PWY
October 23, 2004 7:12:07 AM

"PWY" <pyork22@*mail.com> wrote in message

> "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
>> news:D gsen01d89ppb3c7i992s49uhl3dcc18v6@4ax.com...

>>> I always buy Dells for my clients.
>>>
>>> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
>>> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
>>> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
>>> day.
>>>
>>> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
>>> components here)
>>
>> Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
>> Computer Business???????
> I tried that several months ago. I needed an 80 wire IDE cable in a
> hurry. He charged me 16 dollars. I don't expect to be going back.

I wouldn't either, when I was involved in the business we usually
just gave them one. They always came back to buy.
October 25, 2004 1:45:59 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:14:46 GMT, "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote:

>"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
>news:D gsen01d89ppb3c7i992s49uhl3dcc18v6@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:36:03 GMT, "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't want to build my own box this time around, no time and no
>>>interest.
>>>Would like to get some opinions from different people here on
>>>emachines.
>>>There has to be a few people that either had them, has one or knows
>>>someone
>>>that does.
>>>I've heard that they are not to bad, throw aways I guess. What are
>>>some
>>>opinions from you guys.
>>>thanks,
>>>geo
>>>

>> I always buy Dells for my clients.
>>
>> So far I have one monitor fail out of the 100+ PCs that have been
>> bought (and that was because the users kid sprayed it with a water
>> gun!!!). Even so a Dell engineer came out and replaced it the next
>> day.
>>
>> They are great value for money and well built (none of your cheap
>> components here)
>
>Has anyone in this group thought of supporting your home town
>Computer Business???????

I would if they were cheaper. I was after a 40Gig hard drive and they
wanted to charge £68 (I got it from Ebuyer for £30)

I also noted that they were selling a laughable Celeron PC for £300
(Dell was selling a good spec £300 P4-3000 PC)

Enough said.....

Harry
!