Upgraded from 98se and Norton is having issues!!!!

dieharddave

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I just installed win2000 from win98se and i did not uninstall Norton 2000 Systemworks. Wow, what a freaking mistake that was!!! Now i can not uninstall it. I went to their website and that was a joke. They basically said that i am screwed. I just want to get rid of it . Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, first of all, it's always a good idea to do a clean install, not an upgrade (especially when changing kernels, like 98 to W2k). But not everyone wants to do that, so that's ok.
Alright, the only thing I can think of doing is to delete all the program files and call it good. Norton will most likely stash a whole bunch of files in the Windows/WINNT directory, and it's not a perfect option to leave those there, but you can't do too much about it, since you don't know what they all are.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Norton Systemworks 2000 will not work with Windows2k. 2001 will. There are some dangerous methods I could reccomend but unless you dont mind deleting files and mucking around the registry, do a clean install.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

dieharddave

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
When mean clean install, you mean uninstall everything. If i do a clean sweep, what happens to all my updates? For example: Win2000 SP2, Offices 2000 Sp1,and my new drivers. Is there away to keep all my updates? I have a lot of programs on my computer so lets do the dangerous method. Lets get rid of Norton. But could you also answer the question about keeping my updates when doing a clean install without messing up the registry.
Thanks,
Dave

dieharddave

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I had the same idea but i was afraid of the consequences. I did not know that Norton stashed a whole bunch of files in Winnt. Cool, now i do but i don't think i going to delete any in Winnt. Like you said, you don't know what they all are. Thanks,
Dave

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
at this point its probably better for you to do a complete reinstall of win2k. stark afresh. remove all the old gunk.

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I basically would go with a fresh install of Windows 2000. Just boot your computer with the Win2K CD already inside. Then, when it prompts you what you want to do, select to Install, not Repair. Then, format the partition to whatever you wanted (I'm not sure if you wanted FAT or NTFS), and continue the install. Yada yada yada...