Just got locomotion

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

surprisingly it arrived today (from play.com) haven't played it much but
i can tell you it contains three "areas" Great Britain, North America
and Arctic. Also to those inquiring about free play, the scenario
editor allows you to create a game with no competitors.

stuart
24 answers Last reply
More about just locomotion
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Stuartamn" <Endor@NOSPAMlineone.PLEASEnet> wrote in message
    > surprisingly it arrived today (from play.com) haven't played it much but
    > i can tell you it contains three "areas" Great Britain, North America and
    > Arctic. Also to those inquiring about free play, the scenario editor
    > allows you to create a game with no competitors.

    Anyone got a full list of the included vehicles yet?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Stuartamn" <Endor@NOSPAMlineone.PLEASEnet> wrote in message
    > surprisingly it arrived today (from play.com) haven't played it much but
    > i can tell you it contains three "areas" Great Britain, North America and
    > Arctic. Also to those inquiring about free play, the scenario editor
    > allows you to create a game with no competitors.
    >

    > stuart

    In the scenario mode you can also set an Australian climate!
    If you set a scenarion to have zero towns, its has zero industries as well.
    Then you can lay your own towns & industries where you like(you can also set
    what Industries you have and also what types of buildings in your towns).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    I just picked mine up today and think it sux...
    It's like eating re-heated greenbean casserole, YUK!
    It's ONLY redeeming value is that it works on XP.
    I'm gonna Spark-Up my Old DOS - PC & enjoy the original ! ! !
    I'd suggest you all save your money & enjoy the TTDLX you already own!

    "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.com> wrote in message

    > "Stuartamn" <Endor@NOSPAMlineone.PLEASEnet> wrote in message
    > > surprisingly it arrived today (from play.com) haven't played it much but
    > > i can tell you it contains three "areas" Great Britain, North America
    and
    > > Arctic. Also to those inquiring about free play, the scenario editor
    > > allows you to create a game with no competitors.
    > >

    > > stuart
    >
    > In the scenario mode you can also set an Australian climate!
    > If you set a scenarion to have zero towns, its has zero industries as
    well.
    > Then you can lay your own towns & industries where you like(you can also
    set
    > what Industries you have and also what types of buildings in your towns).

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    why does it sux? what about it did you not like? why do yuou like DLX better?

    <news.comcast.giganews.com> wrote in message news:<w8OdnfMPjLW2lNjcRVn-hw@comcast.com>...
    > I just picked mine up today and think it sux...
    > It's like eating re-heated greenbean casserole, YUK!
    > It's ONLY redeeming value is that it works on XP.
    > I'm gonna Spark-Up my Old DOS - PC & enjoy the original ! ! !
    > I'd suggest you all save your money & enjoy the TTDLX you already own!
    >
    > "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Stuartamn" <Endor@NOSPAMlineone.PLEASEnet> wrote in message
    > > > surprisingly it arrived today (from play.com) haven't played it much but
    > > > i can tell you it contains three "areas" Great Britain, North America
    > and
    > > > Arctic. Also to those inquiring about free play, the scenario editor
    > > > allows you to create a game with no competitors.
    > > >

    > > > stuart
    > >
    > > In the scenario mode you can also set an Australian climate!
    > > If you set a scenarion to have zero towns, its has zero industries as
    > well.
    > > Then you can lay your own towns & industries where you like(you can also
    > set
    > > what Industries you have and also what types of buildings in your towns).

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:50 -0700, TomEReynolds@gmail.com (Tom E Reynolds
    Sr.) wrote:

    >why does it sux? what about it did you not like? why do yuou like DLX better?

    Conservative nostalgia. The changes, building system especially, takes
    some getting used to, but works ok.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus" <pope@holysee.va> wrote in message
    > On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:50 -0700, TomEReynolds@gmail.com (Tom E Reynolds
    > Sr.) wrote:
    >
    > >why does it sux? what about it did you not like? why do yuou like DLX
    better?

    > Conservative nostalgia. The changes, building system especially, takes
    > some getting used to . . .

    .. . and time, a network take a lot of clicks to build!

    I had a 2 source food processing plant feeder setup going last night.
    Livestock and grain farms each with 2 trains with single track branches
    leading to a common double track section, then a 2 track terminal.

    An empty train at the the double track fork to the 2 single track branches
    always waited for its respective branch to clear before proceeding - some
    form of route setting or presignal behaviour? (i had 2-way signals on the
    branches just past the junction). A signal (normally at red) did not clear
    unless a train was approaching it, and signals cleared far enough ahead of
    the moving train to show the full sequence of 'aspects',
    i.e green->yellow->red.

    --
    Mark
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Guardian Pegasus" <pope@holysee.va> wrote in message
    > On 13 Sep 2004 09:35:50 -0700, TomEReynolds@gmail.com (Tom E Reynolds
    > Sr.) wrote:
    >
    >>why does it sux? what about it did you not like? why do yuou like DLX
    >>better?
    >
    > Conservative nostalgia. The changes, building system especially, takes
    > some getting used to, but works ok.

    I think people are expecting it to be TOO much like TTD when it should be
    taken as a whole new game.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:01:05 +0100, "Mark Townend"
    <mark_townend@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >. . and time, a network take a lot of clicks to build!

    Indeed... but you can do some cool stuff, like build continuous
    bridges, or make stations inside tunnels if industries are located on
    hillsides.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:21:24 GMT, "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.com> wrote:

    >I think people are expecting it to be TOO much like TTD when it should be
    >taken as a whole new game.

    I think so too. I'm enjoying the game immensily, AFTER coming to terms
    with the fact that it's not Transport Tycoon Super Ultra Mega Deluxe.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Guardian Pegasus <pope@holysee.va> wrote in message news:<t79ck0dh1t0co2g6j93jio9coll3s7rtc5@4ax.com>...
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:21:24 GMT, "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I think people are expecting it to be TOO much like TTD when it should be
    > >taken as a whole new game.
    >
    > I think so too. I'm enjoying the game immensily, AFTER coming to terms
    > with the fact that it's not Transport Tycoon Super Ultra Mega Deluxe.

    I've had the game since Saturday. Here's my two pence worth. I've
    tried to leave TTDLX behind but I just can't this game feels too much
    like a retrostep to do that.

    1. Despite the manual telling me that the game has lots of depth I
    can't find it at all. It lacks some essential money spending
    opportunities like the advertising campaigns, road building, buying
    out opponents etc. These were all important tactical weapons in the
    war against your TTDLX opponent.

    2. Signal building and routing is not intuitive. You can click on any
    part of the rails and ask the trains to use this as a waypoint so it
    is possible to guide a train through a single station double-track
    layout quite easily. Shame the manual isn't clear on this.

    3. Multiple clicks for laying track is appaling. I'll say no more.
    And how does one delete a bus stop?

    4. Underground stations are excellent. It is possible to build your
    entire network underground if you wish. Not so possible with airports
    of course and l;ater in the game it can be hard to find land for a
    large airport.

    5. Has anyone here tried to upgrade a vehicle yet? It's a pain. It
    takes so many clicks to upgrade from an old bus to a new bus that I
    started to get RSI last night. Why can't I just have a 'replace'
    button? And on TTDLX I have the red/green stop/go flag on the title
    bar for the vehicle. this is now fixed on the view window and is not
    nearly as useful there.

    6. Upgrading trains is relatively straight forward even if you have
    to electrify the track. In fact the third rail/overhead
    electrification is a great addition.

    7. With TTDLX I could see my list of, say, aircraft and they had a
    little label telling you where they fly to and from. It helped to
    guage, at a glance, whether an airport was being swamped with too much
    traffic. No such display here. You just have to guess.

    8. Ships get 'cornered' all the time. that is, I often find them
    spinning in little circles in a corner of the land. This is despite
    routing them via numerous waypoints.

    9. The number and choice of vehicles is amazing. Trams are a great
    addition and seem to last longer and with more reliability than
    busses. Speaking of reliability - no option to make servicing more
    frequent to make up for vehicle failures. I CANNOT believe that this
    feature is not there.

    10. The number of different industries is amazing. It's always well
    worth setting up a few bread and butter coal-power station train
    routes to make a chunk of money on before spending too much time
    elsewhere.

    Still it's a Chris Sawyer game and you can spend hours tweaking and
    refining everything in the game. I can spend ages tidying up my
    tracks, swapping busses for trams etc I'll stick with it, but I
    really don't see it having anything like the longevity of TTDLX.
    Though I'm sure we'll see a whole raft of expansion packs. The other
    big bonus is that the game was only £15 from play.com and only £20 in
    the shops. Who can't afford to buy it?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Buttoneer wrote:

    [...]

    > 9. The number and choice of vehicles is amazing. [...]

    Would it be possible to get a list of locomotives?

    > 10. The number of different industries is amazing. [...]

    Likewise, a list of industries and their products would be of interest.

    Michael
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    (Buttoneer) wrote in message
    >snip

    Not that it makes a lot of difference but on the first scenario when I
    use the wait until full route command for a truck picking up iron ore,
    (yes it's iron ore and no overlap of catchment area) it says "wait
    until full of coal" and the truck will just sit in the station waiting
    for the coal which isn't there. Removing the command lets the truck
    pick up the ore and get on it's way.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    > Would it be possible to get a list of locomotives?

    http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10300

    more or less complete list.

    --
    Adam Kadlubek | uz - dot - @ - gsi - dot - pl
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "scotchbird" <scotch1590@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > (Buttoneer) wrote in message
    > >snip
    >
    > Not that it makes a lot of difference but on the first scenario when I
    > use the wait until full route command for a truck picking up iron ore,
    > (yes it's iron ore and no overlap of catchment area) it says "wait
    > until full of coal" and the truck will just sit in the station waiting
    > for the coal which isn't there. Removing the command lets the truck
    > pick up the ore and get on it's way.

    To answer my own question there is an fly-out when holding the " wait until
    full" button that allows you to select the product. It works fine.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "scotchbird" <scotch1590@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > (Buttoneer) wrote in message
    >>snip
    >
    > Not that it makes a lot of difference but on the first scenario when I
    > use the wait until full route command for a truck picking up iron ore,
    > (yes it's iron ore and no overlap of catchment area) it says "wait
    > until full of coal" and the truck will just sit in the station waiting
    > for the coal which isn't there. Removing the command lets the truck
    > pick up the ore and get on it's way.

    Don't be so quick to press the wait button. If you hold it down a bit when
    you click it, you'll see that you can choose wait you want it to wait for...
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    adam kadlubek wrote:

    >> Would it be possible to get a list of locomotives?

    > http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10300
    >
    > more or less complete list.

    Thanks, Adam.

    A queer assortment of swiss engines, holy moly!

    Michael
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Michael Blunck wrote:

    > adam kadlubek wrote:
    >
    >>> Would it be possible to get a list of locomotives?
    >
    >> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10300
    >>
    >> more or less complete list.
    >
    > Thanks, Adam.
    >
    > A queer assortment of swiss engines, holy moly!

    Well one of the "climates" is the swiss alps, so you kind of need those
    engines....
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Josef Drexler wrote:

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Matthew Clark" <clarkbhm@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<7B72d.7525$IO5.1721@trndny04>...
    > "scotchbird" <scotch1590@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > (Buttoneer) wrote in message
    > >>snip
    > >
    > > Not that it makes a lot of difference but on the first scenario when I
    > > use the wait until full route command for a truck picking up iron ore,
    > > (yes it's iron ore and no overlap of catchment area) it says "wait
    > > until full of coal" and the truck will just sit in the station waiting
    > > for the coal which isn't there. Removing the command lets the truck
    > > pick up the ore and get on it's way.
    >
    > Don't be so quick to press the wait button. If you hold it down a bit when
    > you click it, you'll see that you can choose wait you want it to wait for...

    There are lots of little hidden things in the game that don't jump out
    of you from the manual but which are extremely important for fine
    tuing properly.

    Using waypoints makes the signals usable, for example. the manual
    doesn't make this clear or really tell you that you can click anywhere
    on the track to create one.

    Anyone figure out yet how to delete a bus stop?

    Anyone yet figure our a speedy way to renew a bus? When I get a bus
    that is so unreliable I need to replace it, I just want a nice single
    click solution. What is get is;
    Buy new bus (two clicks)
    Copy old route across to new bus (three clicks)
    Drop new bus and set it running (three clicks)
    Stop old bus, pick it up and bin it (three clicks)

    Eleven click for every single replacement.

    This could be immensely speeded up and made less onerous with a single
    click replacement (click on your old vehicle in the vehicle list,
    click the spanner tab, click the replace button, click on the chosen
    replacement vehicle in the new vehcile list). It all takes too long
    at the moment and I'm fast getting RSI.

    The cities and towns expand nice and quickly though.

    I've also come across the situation where a local authority has
    refused me a new airport because I was fiddling about too much with
    the land. Fair doos actually, I'm sure any local authority would get
    pissed off. But as I mentiuoned above you get no bribery/advertising
    etc options in this game and I think it loses a lot for that.

    Overall I'm still spending hour upon hour fiddling with things and
    trying to make them neater, tidier, more efficient etc, which is great
    fun in its own way.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Buttoneer" <colins138@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > There are lots of little hidden things in the game that don't jump out
    >snip

    Oh yes, I'm learning a lot as I go along and this game is deeper than it
    first appears.

    You can combine all types of stations if they are put close enough to each
    other, this increases the catchment area of the entire combined station by
    the non-overlap area of the new station. This can make a huge single station
    that serves all types of transportation and things available to one station
    will be available to all stations in the combined area if they can accept
    that.

    You can run trams tacks on roads and use trams instead of buses, greater
    capacity, less breakdowns and later faster and still have the roads for
    trucks.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On 17 Sep 2004 03:49:05 -0700, Buttoneer wrote:

    > Anyone figure out yet how to delete a bus stop?
    >
    > Anyone yet figure our a speedy way to renew a bus? When I get a bus
    > that is so unreliable I need to replace it, I just want a nice single
    > click solution. What is get is;
    > Buy new bus (two clicks)
    > Copy old route across to new bus (three clicks)
    > Drop new bus and set it running (three clicks)
    > Stop old bus, pick it up and bin it (three clicks)
    >
    > Eleven click for every single replacement.

    To delete a Bus stop:

    Select the road building tool and select bus stop. Move the mouse slowly
    over where the bus stop is, for one pixel it will change (when the arrow is
    over the bus stop) and the text changes to 'Right click to remove'. Very
    tricky to start with, but you soon get to learn where you need to click.
    however, if there are tall buildings in the area, it is next to impossible!

    For renewing buses, trucks and trams:

    select the vehicle and locate it on the map. Stop the vehicle. Drag the
    vehicle to the trash can (as you would a train carriage). Click the
    replacement vehicle from the list of buses. Place the new bus on the road.
    Doing it this way it keeps the route information. Only slightly quicker,
    but less prone to error.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    I to had problems with deleting stations. But got the hang of it. it is
    tricky finding the right spot for deleting.

    I have noticed that when you renew or upgrade a vehicle that it looses what
    ever it was carrying. So I stop the vehicle just before entering a station
    give it full unload. Then renew the vehicle after the unloading. You can
    stop the vehicle anywhere that is a nice touch. Also use the stop vehicle
    to remove a crashed vehicle.

    Don

    "Me" <me@me.invalid> wrote in message
    > On 17 Sep 2004 03:49:05 -0700, Buttoneer wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone figure out yet how to delete a bus stop?
    > >
    > > Anyone yet figure our a speedy way to renew a bus? When I get a bus
    > > that is so unreliable I need to replace it, I just want a nice single
    > > click solution. What is get is;
    > > Buy new bus (two clicks)
    > > Copy old route across to new bus (three clicks)
    > > Drop new bus and set it running (three clicks)
    > > Stop old bus, pick it up and bin it (three clicks)
    > >
    > > Eleven click for every single replacement.
    > >

    > To delete a Bus stop:
    >
    > Select the road building tool and select bus stop. Move the mouse slowly
    > over where the bus stop is, for one pixel it will change (when the arrow
    is
    > over the bus stop) and the text changes to 'Right click to remove'. Very
    > tricky to start with, but you soon get to learn where you need to click.
    > however, if there are tall buildings in the area, it is next to
    impossible!

    > For renewing buses, trucks and trams:
    >
    > select the vehicle and locate it on the map. Stop the vehicle. Drag the
    > vehicle to the trash can (as you would a train carriage). Click the
    > replacement vehicle from the list of buses. Place the new bus on the road.
    > Doing it this way it keeps the route information. Only slightly quicker,
    > but less prone to error.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Me wrote:

    > For renewing buses, trucks and trams:

    > select the vehicle and locate it on the map. Stop the vehicle. Drag the
    > vehicle to the trash can (as you would a train carriage). Click the
    > replacement vehicle from the list of buses. Place the new bus on the road.
    > Doing it this way it keeps the route information. Only slightly quicker,
    > but less prone to error.

    In other words: the same way as in TTD... :)

    Jo'Asia

    --
    english-signature
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Me <me@me.invalid> wrote in message news:<zn8mtdjbbenu$.3abyh8bxoquv$.dlg@40tude.net>...
    > On 17 Sep 2004 03:49:05 -0700, Buttoneer wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone figure out yet how to delete a bus stop?
    > >
    > > Anyone yet figure our a speedy way to renew a bus? When I get a bus
    > > that is so unreliable I need to replace it, I just want a nice single
    > > click solution. What is get is;
    > > Buy new bus (two clicks)
    > > Copy old route across to new bus (three clicks)
    > > Drop new bus and set it running (three clicks)
    > > Stop old bus, pick it up and bin it (three clicks)
    > >
    > > Eleven click for every single replacement.
    > >

    > To delete a Bus stop:
    >
    > Select the road building tool and select bus stop. Move the mouse slowly
    > over where the bus stop is, for one pixel it will change (when the arrow is
    > over the bus stop) and the text changes to 'Right click to remove'. Very
    > tricky to start with, but you soon get to learn where you need to click.
    > however, if there are tall buildings in the area, it is next to impossible!
    >
    > For renewing buses, trucks and trams:
    >
    > select the vehicle and locate it on the map. Stop the vehicle. Drag the
    > vehicle to the trash can (as you would a train carriage). Click the
    > replacement vehicle from the list of buses. Place the new bus on the road.
    > Doing it this way it keeps the route information. Only slightly quicker,
    > but less prone to error.

    Oops. I am an arse. I should be used to the replacement method as
    it's the same as it's always been. There is still the issue of having
    the stop/go flag on the front tab of the vehicle rather than in the
    title bar which would have been much easier.

    The deleting of the passenger stops makes sense but it is so fine
    tuned (especially at high resolutions) that it becomes totally
    impractical at times. I also end up 'right clicking' on buildings
    accidentally half the time and annoying the local authority.

Games Video Games