Hard Drive Recomendation

macca

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

Hi,

I need to replace my hard disk soon as it is about to die immenently!!

I am looking for a 160GB drive, IDE, 7200RPM or better and most importantly
that it is quiet.

Was looking at the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB UDMA100.

I would appreciate any views on this drive or recommendations on others,

Cheers
Macca

"Macca" <asbc31@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my hard disk soon as it is about to die immenently!!
>
> I am looking for a 160GB drive, IDE, 7200RPM or better and most
> importantly
> that it is quiet.
>
> Was looking at the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB UDMA100.
>
> I would appreciate any views on this drive or recommendations on others,
>
> Cheers
> Macca

I've got a Samsung brand drive that meets those specs and is very quiet.
The Samsung is also the only brand (AFAIK) that is specifically engineered
to be quiet. For example, it is designed not just for low noise, but also
to emit noise at certain (less audible) frequencies, when it does need to
make noise. The following is the primary drive in my wife's system. Fast
and quiet. Seagate has a rep. for making quiet drives, as well. -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-014&depa=0

BigJim

if you have a new motherboard should be not problem if it is a little older
you
may have to upgrade your bios so it recognizes the drive at full capacity