XP to Windows 7 upgrade

beachdreamer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I'll try to be concise, but include all possible pertinant details. We got a virus on our HP pavilion a1118x running xp. Couldn't locate backup disk, and system restore wouldn't resolve the problem. Due to using Win. 7 in the school computer lab, and liking it, we thought that rather than pay HP for a new recovery disk, we would get a family pack, and update both pc and laptop. Geek squad and microsoft support both "confirmed" that with a RAM upgrade (which was successful), we should be able to upgrade to 7 for the OS. However, upon trying to run the installation disk, I am getting an error 0xc00000e9. I called customer support, and the microsoft personnel was able to talk me through utilizing a borrowed xp restore disk (for a Dell), so that we could wipe out the viruses (their idea, incase any of the infections were interfering). Now, the system will recognise the xp installation disk, but not the 7 installation disk. They SAY that it isn't because of a lack of correct system requirements, but I don't understand why one installation disk will run (and recognise a hard drive, which I am told is the problem behind the error), but the other one won't.
Please help!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my problem, and I am sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

beachdreamer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

***UPDATE*** Successful install! Even though the microsoft compatability test (step 1 on my insert of instructions) as well as the microsoft tech I reached via the phone said that for 'better' installation, I should use the 32 vs. the 64 bit disk (seemed counterintuitive to me, haveing a 64 bit processor). Thinking I had nothing to loose, and considering that everything else would run and respond to instructions, I went ahead and used the 64 bit disk, and it worked as it should. Now, I just need to reinstall drivers.

beachdreamer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

I'd better check that out, because I am intending to install 7 on my laptop. I will need the disk for that install. BTW, it started to run from the disk, I got the message at POST, "press any key to boot from disk", after which it began the process. The status bar showed progress for a while, and then stopped, giving the error message. Does that sound like a problem with the disk?

TRENDING THREADS