Sign in with
Your question

XP to Windows 7 upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2011 3:04:25 AM

I'll try to be concise, but include all possible pertinant details. We got a virus on our HP pavilion a1118x running xp. Couldn't locate backup disk, and system restore wouldn't resolve the problem. Due to using Win. 7 in the school computer lab, and liking it, we thought that rather than pay HP for a new recovery disk, we would get a family pack, and update both pc and laptop. Geek squad and microsoft support both "confirmed" that with a RAM upgrade (which was successful), we should be able to upgrade to 7 for the OS. However, upon trying to run the installation disk, I am getting an error 0xc00000e9. I called customer support, and the microsoft personnel was able to talk me through utilizing a borrowed xp restore disk (for a Dell), so that we could wipe out the viruses (their idea, incase any of the infections were interfering). Now, the system will recognise the xp installation disk, but not the 7 installation disk. They SAY that it isn't because of a lack of correct system requirements, but I don't understand why one installation disk will run (and recognise a hard drive, which I am told is the problem behind the error), but the other one won't.
Please help!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my problem, and I am sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

More about : windows upgrade

March 3, 2011 3:04:18 PM

beachdreamer said:
I'll try to be concise, but include all possible pertinant details. We got a virus on our HP pavilion a1118x running xp. Couldn't locate backup disk, and system restore wouldn't resolve the problem. Due to using Win. 7 in the school computer lab, and liking it, we thought that rather than pay HP for a new recovery disk, we would get a family pack, and update both pc and laptop. Geek squad and microsoft support both "confirmed" that with a RAM upgrade (which was successful), we should be able to upgrade to 7 for the OS. However, upon trying to run the installation disk, I am getting an error 0xc00000e9. I called customer support, and the microsoft personnel was able to talk me through utilizing a borrowed xp restore disk (for a Dell), so that we could wipe out the viruses (their idea, incase any of the infections were interfering). Now, the system will recognise the xp installation disk, but not the 7 installation disk. They SAY that it isn't because of a lack of correct system requirements, but I don't understand why one installation disk will run (and recognise a hard drive, which I am told is the problem behind the error), but the other one won't.
Please help!!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my problem, and I am sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

***UPDATE*** Successful install! Even though the microsoft compatability test (step 1 on my insert of instructions) as well as the microsoft tech I reached via the phone said that for 'better' installation, I should use the 32 vs. the 64 bit disk (seemed counterintuitive to me, haveing a 64 bit processor). Thinking I had nothing to loose, and considering that everything else would run and respond to instructions, I went ahead and used the 64 bit disk, and it worked as it should. Now, I just need to reinstall drivers.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 367 $ Windows 7
March 4, 2011 2:58:37 PM

If the system did not see the disk even, I'm going with bad disk. The reason they suggest going with 32 bit is that not all software and drivers work under 64 bit.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2011 4:44:24 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If the system did not see the disk even, I'm going with bad disk. The reason they suggest going with 32 bit is that not all software and drivers work under 64 bit.

I'd better check that out, because I am intending to install 7 on my laptop. I will need the disk for that install. BTW, it started to run from the disk, I got the message at POST, "press any key to boot from disk", after which it began the process. The status bar showed progress for a while, and then stopped, giving the error message. Does that sound like a problem with the disk?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 367 $ Windows 7
March 4, 2011 7:54:27 PM

That computer has Win 7 drivers for it, so the issue should not be with the fact that the hardware is not right for the OS.

Take a look here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

Seems there are fixes for that error from burning another disk to changing drive type in BIOS from AHCI to ATA.
m
l
!