newly built system with Asus P4R800-V deluxe doesn't boot up

I just built a new system with the Asus P4R800-V deluxe motherboard
and a Intel PIV 2,8.
memory 2x 256 Mb PC3200.
When I turn on the system, hear it start up for about 2 seconds and
then nothing, power is off. For some reason it is closing down.

I disconnected cd players and harddisks except one 160Gb UDMA/133.
I get no beeps and no image on the monitor. I tried some other memory
from a different system, PC2700. Same result.

If I take out the memory and boot up, I get a beep and a post vocal
message (that goes too fast to hear well). But at least this gets me
further. Now I think it should be the memory but I am also afraid
there could be something with the processor and I don't know how to
find out which one it is.
I don't have anymore spare-parts left and can't afford to buy another
processor 'just for trying'.

Any ideas???
1 answer Last reply
More about newly built system asus p4r800 deluxe doesn boot

    "bbbobo" <latalle@beerbergman-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I just built a new system with the Asus P4R800-V deluxe motherboard
    > and a Intel PIV 2,8.
    > memory 2x 256 Mb PC3200.
    > When I turn on the system, hear it start up for about 2 seconds and
    > then nothing, power is off. For some reason it is closing down.
    >
    > I disconnected cd players and harddisks except one 160Gb UDMA/133.
    > I get no beeps and no image on the monitor. I tried some other memory
    > from a different system, PC2700. Same result.
    >
    > If I take out the memory and boot up, I get a beep and a post vocal
    > message (that goes too fast to hear well). But at least this gets me
    > further. Now I think it should be the memory but I am also afraid
    > there could be something with the processor and I don't know how to
    > find out which one it is.
    > I don't have anymore spare-parts left and can't afford to buy another
    > processor 'just for trying'.
    >
    > Any ideas???

    OK, after a bit of research, I've found that this particular chipset is VERY
    picky about RAM. If it's not major brand memory (or even sometimes if it
    is), your motherboard won't recognize it. Also, it doesn't have full
    support for PC3200 RAM. In other words, it is even LESS likely to recognize
    a PC3200 module.

    I think you goofed on the mainboard, but I don't blame you at all.
    Literature on the Asus web site indicates the board will support DDR400, but
    it doesn't fully support it, so that's kind of misleading. Most likely the
    RAM and CPU are OK. Note: I said "most likely". I have no way of
    guaranteeing that your mainboard is bad, but considering it doesn't fully
    support PC3200 RAM, I can be at least 90% certain that the mainboard IS the
    problem.

    I think you should return the mainboard, as this is the most likely suspect.
    But what to replace it with? Assuming you get your money back for the
    mainboard . . .

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-156-012&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-467&depa=0

    Those two components should be just a little bit more (total) than what you
    paid for your mainboard alone. Also, the overall system performance will be
    greatly improved. -Dave

Homebuilt Asus Systems